Point of Shark Jump: When Did Any Given Television Show Jump?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by S. P. Honeybunch, Oct 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Latka never became a Yuppi -he was briefly a multi-personality character that included Vic Ferrari, an obnoxious jet setter type (and pretty funny!). I think Christopher Lloyd was brought in to help shore up the gap left by Andy working less on the series (more outside projects and general disinterest in Taxi). Taxi was on for 5 seasons and I think it was consistently good through the entire short run.

2. Richard Austen

Richard Austen Forum Resident

Yeah I should not have suggested the show jumped the shark - I felt his character jumped the shark - I didn't think Vic was funny - and usually felt those were the worst episodes. Taxi was a favorite of mine - the people who jumped the shark was whichever half-wit canceled it. Iggy getting that driver license literally had me cramping with laughter.

The other actors could barely contain themselves.

Scott57, goodiesguy, Larry Mc and 3 others like this.
  3. Humbuster

Humbuster Staff Emeritus

For me it's the current season of Shameless.

Initially it was fun and funny, now is is dark and stupid. I am out.

altaeria likes this.
  4. Complier

Complier Senior Member

"Shameless" seems to have finally jumped it this season.

Humbuster likes this.
  5. Sam

Sam Senior Member

6. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Season 4-5 of Shameless wasn't that great. Haven't seen the latest and maybe I'll never will

7. Scopitone

Scopitone Caught the last train for the coast

I watched two eps last night MeTV, at least one of which was from s04. (The gorgeous Blythe Danner shows up as Hawkeye's old flame from back in the world.)

BJ was dull as dishwater. I used to prefer him, probably because with 8 seasons vs Trapper's 3 seasons, he was just more familiar to me from re-runs. But I couldn't help thinking about this portion of the thread when I watched it last night - every time he was on screen.

Maybe he gets better once he grows the mustache? (The Riker Effect)

GodShifter, Pete Puma and zebop like this.
  8. Chris from Chicago

Chris from Chicago Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes

My overall interest in this show had been down for a while. But I keep tuning in. But, Frank's dialogue in episode two (this season) was horrifically awesome.

9. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I side more with the NY Times:

There was no good ending, so “The Sopranos” left off without one.

The abrupt finale last night was almost like a prank, a mischievous dig at viewers who had agonized over how television’s most addictive series would come to a close. The suspense of the final scene in the diner was almost cruel. And certainly that last bit of song — “Don’t Stop Believing,” by Journey — had to be a joke.

After eight years and so much frenzied anticipation, any ending would have been a letdown. Viewers are conditioned to seek a resolution, happy or sad, so it was almost fitting that this HBO series that was neither comedy nor tragedy should defy expectations in its very last moments. In that way at least “The Sopranos” delivered a perfectly imperfect finish.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/11/arts/television/11sopr.html

10. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

It didn't end, it stopped.

11. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Yep. The cut to black was just unforgivably stupid and cruel, just a big "F U" to the audience.

12. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

That 70s Show? When Topher Grace left the show, it lost its straight man and one of its better comic foils.

Scott57, goodiesguy, zebop and 4 others like this.
  13. music4life

music4life Senior Member

No, he gets worse. I believe this is when he whines about his wife and kid. Sorta like the opening of "All in the Family" when Archie is wearing a green sweater. LOL

Grand_Ennui and Scopitone like this.
  14. Sam

Sam Senior Member

Wow. No. I do not believe that David Chase was in any way saying "FU" to his audience. Why would he? In my opinion, Tony gets killed---and the blackness is the vision through his eyes, just as we keep seeing his viewpoint as he keeps looking up every time someone comes into the diner. David Chase hinted at this in several earlier episodes when Bobby talks about death. I believe he states something like "It must be just all black." And look at what that ending has done. It has kept people talking about the Sopranos for years later. Brilliant show. One of the best ever.

15. Wigwam

Wigwam Active Member

Yeah, they were fishing and talking about how people in their line of work never see it coming and it just goes black. For me Tony was taken out in the diner in front of his family. Did Patsy and/or Paulie okay the hit with New York? It's one thing I wonder about.

16. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

Presently residing in the Where Are They Now file...

goodiesguy, Larry Mc and rockclassics like this.
  17. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Yep, he took McLean Stevenson's place.
    I read an article a few years ago about him trying to get certain 'more arty' projects made and it wasn't going well. Maybe he saved his money and he'll be able to live discreetly in a middle class neighborhood somewhere.

Scott57 likes this.
  18. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

Sounds like "David Caruso Syndrome."

zebop and The Panda like this.
  19. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

MASH when BJ grew a 'stache or when Klinger started stopped wearing a dress, I feel like it was around he same time. not sure the exact show but towards the later seasons of Rockford Files Jim barely left the office much less involved in any fisticuffs, bad back/knees made it more of a sedate, talky show....not bad but not Rockford of ole

20. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I'm not the only critic who said the exact same thing.

Topher did one of the Spiderman movies, plus 12 small-to-medium size movies. I had forgotten he had a small role in Interstellar and also a much bigger part in American Ultra.

Grace was in 179 episodes of That '70s Show, so from a fame and money point of view, once you have that kind of dough, you basically don't have to work again.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2016
  21. Scopitone

Scopitone Caught the last train for the coast

Oh c'mon, Randy was a more than suitable replacement.

Oh, wait. No.

22. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

Garner wanted a reduced workload, so the producers tried various strategies such as trying to introduce to new characters as potential regulars, notably Bo Hopkins. I don't know the details of why Hopkins left the series, but he certainly never fit in on camera. Also there were the Richie Brockelman pilots, which I don't care for as I find Dennis Dugan extremely irritating. And I just remembered the "Jersey Boys" pilot from the last season.

There were also scripts spotlighting Joe Santos, which usually turned out okay, and other scripts where neither Garner nor any other regulars hardly appear (such as the "National Enquirer" one), which were generally less successful.

I have't conducted a scientific survey, but I would guess that one kind of scene you don't see much in later seasons is the foot chase. In some of these you can actually see Garner limping.

23. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

oh yea, Brockelman really annoyed me, one of those people who I could never tell you why, but I cringed when I saw him.

zebop and rockclassics like this.
  24. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

Did House M.D. ever jump the shark? I felt like it did once he and Cuddy got together.

25. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

It was pretty bad for the last 2-4 years. I only watched it until the end because I liked the character and Hugh Laurie so much

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.