Point of Shark Jump: When Did Any Given Television Show Jump?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by S. P. Honeybunch, Oct 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grunge Master

Grunge Master 8 Bit Enthusiast

I think he was only in a couple of episodes, and they were actually the last ones.

MikaelaArsenault and Keith V like this.
  2. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

3. Sam

Sam Senior Member

I haven't seen it mentioned here yet unless I missed it. To me, the biggest Shark Jump moment in TV land is when Bewitched switched Darrin!!! I'll never forget that ****. I'm looking at the set as a kid, going "What the heck is going on here?"

4. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

The Sopranos - I'm gonna go with the beginning of Season Six when Uncle Jumior shoots Tony and he's in a coma and dreams of being Kevin Finnerty. The whole AJ storyline was pretty ridiculous too.

thesisinbold and Gumboo like this.
  5. The7thStranger

The7thStranger Part of the Rhythm Nation

But wasn't the whole point of his character that he was supposed to save the show? That character was a drip if I recall...

6. m5comp

m5comp Classic Rock Lover

Also, when Arthur Brough (Mr. Grainger) passed away, there were several replacements for Head of Men's Wear that simply did not work out. Eventually they just promoted Men's Wear Assistant Mr. Humphries (John Inman) to head of the department without any fanfare.

goodiesguy and jdlaw like this.
  7. danner

danner Forum Resident

Antenna TV shows two episodes every weeknight. I've only caught a few here and there. It's a show I really need to catch up on.

EddieMann likes this.
  8. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Stern Show segment producer Jason Kaplan was the guy who invented and regularly taunts Jon with the "Hit 'em with the HEIIIIIIIN!" catch phrase. It does not make Hein happy.

Rose Marie has been very bitter in interviews, and said that The Dick Van Dyke Show could easily have gone on another 3-4 seasons if a) they had switched to color, b) they had given everybody raises, and c) the three principals (Van Dyke, Moore, and Reiner) could have reeled in their ambitions to have huge success in features. None of them did well and all returned to TV in the 1970s.

I worked at Complete Post in Hollywood for all the years that Facts of Life was on the air, and trust me, that show jumped from day one. Never good. And the people who worked on that were miserable and depressed.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2016
  9. Spaghettiows

Spaghettiows Forum Resident

10. Spaghettiows

Spaghettiows Forum Resident

You're right, it was never the same after that but there were still good episodes in every season. The birth of Adam was where it really went down.

11. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Most fans agree that the first Dick was the best Dick.

Executive producer Harry Ackerman told a friend of mine 30 years ago that Dick York was actually fired, that they took him aside and had a meeting with him and basically said, "hey, your health problems are really getting out of hand. We're sorry, but we've got to make a change," and to his credit, York totally agreed. Out of kindness for his addiction to pain killers (caused by a severe back injury several years earlier), they put out an announcement that York had made the decision to leave for health reasons. The truth didn't come out until after he died. According to some accounts, Dick Sargent had been the original choice for the role back in 1964.

You can make a good case that drastic cast changes are often the "jump the shark" moment for many shows. But M*A*S*H and Cheers proved that sometimes, cast changes actually inject new life into a show by giving them new characters to bounce new stories off of.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2016
  12. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

And Tammy Grimes was the first choice for Samantha

You can get an idea how that might have worked from The Tammy Grimes Show of a coupla years later

Vidiot likes this.
  13. I don't know if that is Jumping the Shark, or blowing the holy patootie out of a show. Scrappy Doo is one of the worst characters ever invented. Dare I say possibly even worse than Jar Jar Binks.

14. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

Antenna TV every night at 9 ct.

15. Scopitone

Scopitone Caught the last train for the coast

It's on ANTENNA - every weeknight before Johnny Carson. :)

ETA: oops, I'm too slow.

16. thesisinbold

thesisinbold Forum Resident

yep.

17. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

They switched Mrs. Kravitz too.

18. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I stuck with it throughout that weirdness, but I got antsy when suddenly Dr. Melfi was no longer in the show, and I also really hated the non-ending of the final episode. So for me, the final episode really jumped the shark, because it left too much hanging and was just screwing with the viewer.

I think that was a toy thing. HB did a lot of questionable things that I think hinged on getting a better merchandising deal. I also didn't like that they wouldn't pay voice actor Lennie Weinrib enough money, so he walked and they replaced him with Don Messick -- who was a great voice actor, but not as good for that character.

There have been several cartoon shows created mainly for merchandising. One was Tiny Toons Adventures, where they were able to license those characters separately from the main ones and create new toys with other companies. I think a similar deal happened with Muppet Babies.

19. Thom

Thom Forum Resident

I know it's a minority opinion, but as I watched the final episode of Breaking Bad, I had the precise thought: it's jumping the shark... in the final episode. Walter White becoming a seemingly invincible MacGyver-type hero. It seemed like Vince Gilligan knew how he wanted it to end, but he, in my opinion, couldn't plot a path to it (in the time frame he had left) which was believable and, well, not shark-jumpy.

drasil and GodShifter like this.
  20. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

Soup Opera General Hospital when They froze Port Charles.I don`t even remember my older sister had it on while I wanted to see cartoons Meko Kasidine or some silly character.

21. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Naw, I don't agree at all. I think it was a great final episode, and I didn't have a problem buying anything in it. I thought they built everything up in that last season for the last moments, and pretty much everybody got what they wanted. I also think it made sense, wasn't so crazy-out-of-control I couldn't believe it, and it ended in a satisfying way. There were hundreds of messages here about that episode when it originally aired.

DLD, turnersmemo, team2 and 1 other person like this.
  22. Thom

Thom Forum Resident

I know, I've never found anyone who agrees with me on it. I just didn't buy Walter White as MacGyver. Still, I can easily forgive it an unsatisfying (for me) final episode after 61 episodes that were invariably brilliant.

23. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Remember that Walter White was a scientist before he became a high school chemistry teacher, and we learned over the various seasons that he was an extremely brilliant, calculated man who often used unorthodox science in order to get his way, often with murderous results. The fate of Gus Fring was a prime example. "Ding! Ding! Ding-Ding!" <BOOM!> Great bit.

Thom likes this.
  24. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

I don't get that station in my cable package. :shake:

25. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

Get one of those over the air digital antennas for your TV. Chances are one of your local channels.is carrying.it on a subchannel.

Scopitone and EddieMann like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.