Polar Express

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Jamie Tate, Nov 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jimbo

Jimbo Forum Hall Of Fame

I saw it last week, 3D IMAX version. If you've got the option, that's the way to see it. It's not a bad movie, but watching it was rather like playing a giant video game. The train runs out of control, stops suddenly, runs out of control again, stops again, the kids get lost, get lost again, etc., etc. You'll be looking for your joystick to control the action.

I thought the "Hot Chocolate" number was catchy, but it does come out of the blue. There's some other wacky things going on too--be sure to watch for Steven Tyler as a rocking elf!

2. Daniel

Daniel New Member

I saw it the week it came out.

overall, I was pretty impressed.

3. Corey

Corey Forum Resident

I've seen both versions, the IMAX is definitely the one to see. My opinion may be slightly colored since I saw the flat version first, but I found myself less concerned with following the story (which is definitely geared towards kids) and more concerned with enjoying all the visual treats in the IMAX version - with the big screen and the way the 3D tends to force your focus you can pick out little details like the stitching on the pajamas and other items you just otherwise wouldn't notice.

4. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

I just rolled in an hour ago from the IMAX. I suffered a bit from slightly blurry vision (is this how all 3D IMAX films look, or are my eyes aging that much?), but otherwise, neat effects. My daughter probably liked the fast scenes the best, as she's a roller coaster fanatic. :D I didn't think the Santa scene was that much of a lull, but the beginning of the film, IMHO, could have picked up the pace a little.

The way the movie is laid out, it would not surprise me if they'd originally conceived this movie for 3D. Like Jamie mentions, you get the occasional sensory overload such as when you're swooping around a fast-moving train car (including underneath). But I'm not saying that's bad either--a fast roller coaster has the same type of thrill. :D

Decided I'm going to go see this again, though. My younger daughter was upset that she wasn't able to go, and I know a friend or two who would go with us and get a kick out of it.

I can say this--it's going to be a whole different situation when it comes out on DVD and I watch it on my 27" TV in only 2D. :laugh:

5. Bolero

Bolero Senior Member

I'd highly recommend seeing it with the 3D goggles, in IMAX; dunno if I'd bother otherwise

...it's a ho-hum kids movie with some great FX & well done modeling etc. The pace of the movie is blah & the story is uninspiring...sure has a lot more potential than what they did with it, considering the setting etc.

animation looked very stiff & unreal, just like most motion capture stuff...and Santa looked really un-Santa-ish, figured they'd have done a better job on the big guy.

but the 3D FX with the goggles, I thought were amazing, some of the seq's were really great. ie: the wolves, the train seq's, etc.

6. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member Thread Starter

That's why i saw it one last time (Kate couldn't take a second viewing :( ). I knew it would never look that good again. Even though it's a somewhat blah movie I really enjoy it from a technical standpoint.

7. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

I've seen it on both regular screen and IMAX - if you can see the IMAX version spend the extra dollars - the 3-D effects make you wanna reach out and grab things. My 4 year old flipped when the train pulled up to the house! If you've ever seen and heard a live LARGE steam locomotive at speed you'll get the same feeling... That said, the movie doesn't tug enough on the heart strings, but I don't think that's the author's forte - I never felt emotionally attatched much during the movie...

yesman - if you need to see it again my son and I would be up for it! :)

8. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

Same here, really...certainly isn't the worst thing I've ever seen. For me it just needs a little extra "something" before it'd be really noteworthy. Still, I'd like to go see it again just for the 3D and the good sound system, and it's here until Jan. 2. The next 3D film is some new undersea feature directed by James Cameron. The only other 3D I've seen was a short feature at Disneyworld back in 1989. This could be habit forming. :D

9. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

I'd like to see it with the family this weekend. Hopefully the weather holds out so we can also visit the Christmas Tree in NYC.

10. Paul C.

Paul C. Senior Member

I saw it a couple of weeks ago in Victor Harbor, South Australia (in 2-D only). It was pretty impressive visually, although like a lot of "kid's" movies these days, it doesn't quite know what age level it's pitched at. The basic story derived from the book I would guess is probably appropriate for 4-8 year olds (although i haven't read the book, only a bit about it). The movie has thrills and spills which could freak out younger kids.

All of the reviews I've read have been negative, most comparing it unfavourably with the book. But not having read the book, and taking the movie on it's own terms, I thought for the most part it was a hoot. The facial animations was a bit spooky, and the eye details were "hyper-real". I think the they managed to capture subtle facial expressions better than any computer-generated animation I've seen, but the net effect is still somewhat unnatural.

The song and dance number on the train, the flying eagle with the ticket and the frozen lake scene were quite astonishing on the big screen. Things dragged a bit up at the North Pole, but the kids were pretty happy with it all.

11. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

The previews for the NASCAR movie jumped right out - betcha that's a noisefest!

12. JohnG

Well my family saw the movie at Lincoln Center's Lowes Plaza at the IMAX theater and we thought the movie was visually stunning!

What a fantastic 3D experience.

If you have a IMAX screen anywhere near you, you have to see this film.

I was pleasantly surprised that the movie was quite good....a very nice childens tale with plenty of action and suspence. Much better movie than some of the critical reviews would seem.

The rollcoaster scene in 3D was almost as good as the real thing.

If I lived in Manhattan, I would see it again for sure.

I don't know if the film holds up in 2D but its a hoot in 3D.

13. JohnG

oh btw....the showing we saw was sold-out. People couldn't wait to see the film (a line formed an hour before the movie) and everyone applauded at the end of the film.

This movie will end up being a Christmas classic.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.