Police Reunion?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by nosticker, Jan 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nosticker

nosticker Forum Guy Thread Starter

2. MusicFan76

MusicFan76 Forum Resident

Re: Police reunion rumor

No U.S. dates mentioned? They couldn't skip the U.S. market, I'm sure...if this does come off and hits America, it would be big, I think.

3. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music

1 January 2007
    STING IN TALKS ON POLICE GIG
    By ROBERT STANSFIELD

STING is in talks to reform The Police for a special tour to mark their 30th anniversary.The group, who have not played together since 1984, are considering a series of summer concerts across the UK.Rehearsal dates have already been planned, say music industry sources.

Singer Sting, 55, drummer Stewart Copeland and guitarist Andy Summers would perform their classic hits including Walking On The Moon and Every Breath You Take.

The concerts would coincide with record label A&M releasing some material from the band's back catalogue.A source said: "They were intending to make an announcement in January after all the tour dates had been finalised.

"They are speaking to venues about playing in May and June."

A spokeswoman for A&M confirmed that "early discussions" with the band had taken place but said there were no firm dates for concerts.

I hope it's true. I wonder though, what could they release from the back catalog short of another "hits" collection?

4. Jimbo

Jimbo Forum Hall Of Fame

If they can avoid killing each other and hold it together long enough to make it to the States, I am soooo there!

5. Matt Levy

Matt Levy Forum Resident

Is the tour entitled Kama Sutra and the Magic of the Lute? :D

6. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

I'm so there. Sting's solo career is near death anyways so this is perfect timing.

7. cdice

cdice New Member

To add fire to this rumor mill, there is the rumor over on the Coachella Arts & Music chat room that a reformed Police are in "talks" with Golden Voice Promotions to be a headliner on April 27 or 28 at this year's Coachella Music Festival (Indio, CA).

8. Gregory Earl

Gregory Earl Senior Member

If this doesn't happen now, it never will. It's perfect timing IMHO.

It will happen. I guarantee it.

9. Batigol

Batigol Active Member

Very exciting news!

10. Re: Police reunion rumor

I love the Police, but maybe it would be better if they leave it where they left it so far. Most reunions don't hold up to the expectations (if you gave any).

If they only play a few gigs, that's fine, but once they start recordimg again and are looking into a long term reunion, they could harm their great legacy.

11. charlie W

charlie W EMA Level 10

To all those forum Police fans, go out and get "Everyone Stares" by Stewart Copeland. It's a great look inside the band in its rise to the top. Stewart used his film camera all the time. And he also re-arranges many of their songs for the film's soundtrack. He narrates the film but the commentary track with he and Andy Summers is even better. While he doesn't speak it directly, Stewart implies that a reunion is not in his future. As much as I would like to see it happen, I don't think it will.

12. rjp

rjp Senior Member

they could call it the "tantric tour" and they could hold off playing for as long as humanly possible to enhance the pleasure for the audience :)

renny

13. shnaggletooth

shnaggletooth Senior Member

Andy Summers just released an autobiography the other month. Some interesting anecdotes, like the one where he and Stewart Copeland and I think Summers' wife were ridiculed and threatened in a diner by some "Deliverance-looking guys". Summers says Copeland, who's a pretty tall, physically-imposing guy, walked over to the other table and told them to "put up, or shut the (you-know-what) up". They shut up.

14. Nobby

Nobby Senior Member

Oh dear... I've just spilt my coffee!

V. funny :)

15. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

LOVED that book!!!:righton:

16. ivan_wemple

ivan_wemple Senior Member

Cause if they're gonna play one U.S. city, it's gotta be Indio, CA.

17. pig whisperer

pig whisperer CD Member

The first concert I saw was The Police during the "Zenyatta Mondatta" tour at Toronto's Massey Hall. :righton:

18. Cornholio

Cornholio Are you threatening me?

:biglaugh:

19. AndrewS

AndrewS Senior Member

I'd like to see this, but I seem to remember the recent pricing on Sting tickets was out of this world. If that translates for the Police tour, which I would MUCH rather see, I may end up passing anyway.

20. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

Its near Palm Springs

21. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

I saw Stewart Copeland and Andy Summers at the Premiere.
    Last person asked him if they were going to reform.

Stewart said it might be for One Offs.....but he didn't think they would all want to do a world tour anymore.

22. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

That's easy! Live material of course. Many concerts were recorded on multi-track tape. I'd like to have the 1980 concert from Frejus, France. The live version of Driven To Tears is from this show. 2 songs from this are in the Police Around The World documentary. Incidentally, this was the night when someone threw a rock at Sting and he threatened to killl the guy. You can see it in the video as well (during De Do Do Do, De Da Da Da).
    And there is still a decent amount of studio material left unreleased as well.

23. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

If this comes to pass, how many dates until they come to blows backstage?

Personally, I'd be for it if it gets them in the studio to complete the re-envisioned Police album they started with the Don't Stand So Close To Me ('86). I can't imagine them actually getting an album of entirely new material together.

Kwad

24. reechie

reechie Senior Member

Back after Ghost In The Machine was released, I recall reading comments from Stewart Copeland saying that they'd put together this great live album, possibly one of the greatest live albums ever, but they wanted to wait until the next studio album and tour, so they could add some tracks from what they were working on at the time (which of course, turned out to be Synchronicity). Obviously this wasn't the live album they eventually wound up releasing. I'd like to know what happened to it, and actually see them finish it, and put it out. Here's their chance.

Hey, this could happen. I mean, how much ridicule can Sting's ego take over his solo career before he finally breaks down and says "yes" already? :D

25. Johnny66

Johnny66 Laird of Boleskine

I was under the impression that Sting's solo material has sold well. Sure, the latest idiosyncratic releases aren't chart toppers, but they simply aren't designed to be. Brand New Day was certainly a popular release - of course, this was in 1999/2000...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.