Police Reunion?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by nosticker, Jan 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Re: Police reunion rumor

I would be so excited to see them in concert. I love the music but missed a chance to see them in the 80s.

2. Re: Police reunion rumor

I'd much rather see a new album from The Police, so long as Sting doesn't get Kipper to produce.

3. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

I'm thinking the same thing. Gordon better get some ooomph back in his "Roxanne" or I'll sing it for him. And sound just like he did back in 1983!

4. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

If they *really* do put it all back together and do the tour, I just might buy the resulting DVD.:p

5. The Keymaster

The Keymaster Forum Resident

I find this highly unlikely, given the acrimony between them (which was even visible during their Rock Hall Of Fame induction a few years back), BUT...

...if this happens, I'd definitely be there. I went to Coachella when the Pixies reunited and it was a blast. (Got to see Kraftwerk again, too.)

6. Squids

Squids New Member

Maybe 5.1 mixes? I hope so. First Genesis now this? Nice Summer to go to England me thinks! ;)

7. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

That was the last time he sold well. Sacred Love was putrid and sold awful and this new solo thing he has out now, no on cares about it.

8. JLGB

JLGB Senior Member

Great show some months ago from Sting at Altos De Chavon ...same place Sinatra performed 1982 Concert For The Americas. Still hits the high(Police) notes I was told..

9. crimsoncing

crimsoncing New Member

Oh joy Oh joy!!! A new comp (with token b side or "new" song) $250.00 tickets to see a band i saw at the Whiskey for 6 bucks many years ago!!!

I will pass.

10. gener8tr

gener8tr Senior Member

This makes perfect sense. I'm not really a Police fan, but I would certainly consider attending a spring / summer event.

I still remember all of the read, yellow and blue concert t-shirts during the fall of 1983. Man, you couldn't go anywhere without seeing at least one person wearing that darn thing :)

11. Mark

Mark I Am Gort, Hear Me Roar Staff

I never saw them in the day, so I would probably go for historical purposes. Question is whether they would do stadiums and arena, a la the Stones. You can bet the farm the ticket prices will definitely be a la the Stones.

12. Re: Police reunion rumor

I wouldn't pay $20 to go hear Sting (at least not his standard touring show), but I'd sure as hell pay $100 to hear a Police reunion. $150 even?? - maybe. That'd be double what I've ever paid for any concert before, but it might just maybe be worth it.

I saw Sting once (as a solo act), around 1995 or so. The most UNspontaneous evening of music I can remember in a long time. I'm NOT a huge Dave Matthews fan (though I've grown to like him a bit, a few songs here and there) -- but my wife has drug me to three or four Matthews concerts that were ALL better than that Sting show -- if that's any indication.

Sting needs Andy and especially Stewart to kick him in the ***, musically speaking -- and to at least somewhat keep his (Sting's) ego in check.

My take is that Sting has surrounded himself with other musicians that are "yes" men (and women) -- people who won't tell him (Sting) no to anything. IMHO, Sting needs people to push him, musically, into more uncharted territories -- even if it's with the standard Police song book.

Witness the most recent Police reunion at the RnR Hall of Fame in 2003 (see links down below). Now THAT was a real GROUP. Sting's groups for the last 15 years have all been bands backing Sting. The Police were like a well oiled jazz group -- far different than what Sting's been up since the early 90's.

The Police - Message in a Bottle (2003)

The Police - Every Breath You Take (2003)

13. mr_mjb1960

mr_mjb1960 I'm a Tarrytowner 'Til I die!

To Quoto a famous line oftimes uttered by many:"I'll Believe It when I see it,Pal!!" :laughup:

14. Re: Police reunion rumor

Well, that almost goes without saying when it comes to The Police (specifically a reunion, that is).

I'd sure like to see them live, but I'd be content with a really good live CD or DVD of them playing new arrangements of old tunes. New tunes would be great too -- whatever.

Count me as being a "the glass is half full, not half empty" kinda guy -- so anything's better than nothing.

(Or maybe I should say "anything from a reunited Police is probably better than anything Sting's likely to put out anytime soon". :D )

15. deadbirdie

deadbirdie Senior Member

As long as it's not The Police - Songs for Pipe & Tabor, it should be fairly interesting. I would go if they played Chi-town.

16. nosticker

nosticker Forum Guy Thread Starter

Count me in for a trance/drum n bass/mash-up/remix of "Don't Stand Too Close To Me '07"!!!! :)

Dan

17. spot1019

spot1019 Forum Resident

yeah it would be another in the line of pension tours at $100-300 a ticket:sigh:

18. The Keymaster

The Keymaster Forum Resident

I dunno. I always thought you could cut the tension with a knife during those RNRHOF performances.

I seem to remember a brief scene before the commercial where Stewart was p.o.'d that they were doing "Every Breath You Take." Coincidentally, he "accidentally" put a hole in his snare during that performance. :laugh:

19. reechie

reechie Senior Member

Sometimes lame still sells. :shrug:

20. Re: Police reunion rumor

Yup, yup, yeah!! I think there's always been that tension (or at least for the last 25 years or so). That's partly why they broke up, and also (I think) why their music was so visceral in the first place.

I think you could always almost cut the creative tension in that group with a knife. And it's largely that LACK of creative tension within Sting's "solo" groups -- that accounts for his lack of creative and/or critical success in recent years (or so say I, IMHO).

21. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid

Well I was lucky enough to see them in the earlier days when tix were like ten bucks. They were starting out to tour their second album. Great show, I remember it well, I even managed to get decent floor seats.

Not sure if I want to see them again though. Part of their appeal to me was their youthful energy. So I'm torn with this news. I was really hoping for the big Sting Lute tour myself:eek:

But I'd be curious to see them again if it wasn't too far to travel and not crazy money. I'm not doing a Coachella type festival thats not my thing.

I also kinda made a vow to myself not to spend $200 or more on a concert ticket ever again. Seems to be most major shows are north of $100 these days, but I'm done with much more than that. I'll buy the dvd instead.

22. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

Absolutely. In his book (a great read, BTW) Andy Summers calls the Police's songs a "tight compromise" which is a good description, IMHO. Summers makes it clear he'd want it to happen in the book. I could see a one-off small-scale tour perhaps. Those R&RHOF links that Rooster Ties provided sound convincing enough for me to see them.

23. Squids

Squids New Member

Oh cool! I never saw those before. Thanks. Well, now I can picture what a reunion would look like. Them going through the motions half into it. Just kidding. But, it's better than nothing. I am glad I went to the original Synchronicity concert though.

I met Stewart Copeland when I was young. I was in New Orleans and I was in an art gallery at the time when I saw him walk by in the French Quarter. I wanted to get his autograph (cared more then about such things) so I yelled to my parents "give me a pen it's The Police! The POLICE!". The whole gallery looked over at me in complete fear. The band completely transcended the name to a teenager. It didn't even occur to me that I'd be mistaken for what MOST people think "the police" are. It was funny. I met him, he wasn't all that nice unfortunately. Still, great drummer! What a style the band had.

24. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

The thing about reunion tours is, they don't have to make any creative decisions about their music. All they have to do is play the old songs in the same style they always did. So I think a lot of the sources of the old tensions won't be there (apart from Stewart Copeland playing too fast, a constant annoyance to Sting).

25. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music

I just started reading Andy's book and I am impressed! He is actually a decent writer and does a nice job of placing the reader in the center of the story. "One Train Later" (a title that I assume will make sense later in the book) is a very enjoyable read.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.