Police Reunion?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by nosticker, Jan 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MusicFan76

MusicFan76 Forum Resident

Re: Police reunion rumor

I would assume this is almost a definite now, according to this latest Billboard.com article.

2. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

3. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

4. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

OR play 5 1/2 hour gigs! :laugh:

Seriously, though, a Police reunion would be great!

Evan:agree:

5. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

I think they're probably doing it now because at this point, there's no expectation that they would record any new material. Had they reunited 10 years ago people would have expected a new album.

6. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

Sorry here...
    Police Reunion Rumors Reaching Fever Pitch

January 03, 2007, 3:10 PM ET

Jonathan Cohen, N.Y.
    Rumors are swirling that the Police will reunite for 2007 dates in England and the United States, which would be the legendary trio's first since disbanding in 1986. Sources tell Billboard.com the reports are legitimate but would not publicly comment until final details are nearer to completion.

This year marks the 30th anniversary of the release of "Roxanne," the single that broke the Police in the United States. "Discussions have been underway as to how this will be commemorated," reads a post on Sting's Web site attributed to an A&M spokesperson. "While we can confirm that there will indeed be something special done to mark the occasion, the depth of the band's involvement still remains undetermined."

Sources say in addition to DVD releases, A&M is planning another multi-disc collection in the vein of 1993's "Message in a Box," which featured the band's complete studio recordings and a handful of rarities.

A Police reunion has been the concert industry's dream for two decades, as it is believed the band could play stadiums internationally should it choose to reunite. But besides an impromptu set at Sting's 1992 wedding to Trudie Styler, the Police's only other post-breakup performance was in celebration of its 2003 induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

And while Sting has repeatedly expressed reluctance at reuniting, drummer Stewart Copeland and guitarist Andy Summers have kept the flame alive. This summer, Summers told Billboard he was certain the group could have continued on past its 1983 commercial peak with "Synchronicity."

"The more rational approach would have been, 'OK, Sting, go make a solo record, and let's get back together in two or three years,'" he said. "I'm certain we could have done that. Of course we could have. We were definitely not in a creative dry space. We could have easily carried on, and we could probably still be there. That wasn't to be our fate. It went in another way. I regret we never paid it off with a last tour. We snuck out the back door, which is what we were told to do, until it just became too frustrating to lie about it."

"I'm very keen on it," Copeland told Billboard.com of a potential reunion, the day after the Rock Hall induction. "But I absolutely understand why it's not going to happen and I'm down with that. It was really great to be the Police for 15 minutes. If you can think of some other award we can go get or some other good reason, give me a call, and I'll try it out!"

In 2001, Copeland excitedly told Billboard about "one piece of unreleased Police product" which he hoped would eventually see the light of day.

"One of the times when they were working on the box set or something like that, they convened the three of us on the phone. Sting and Andy were in Italy; Andy was visiting Sting at the time, and I was on a DSL line in L.A.," he recalled. "And we went down all the song titles from all of our albums. Song title: 'Can't Stand Losing You.' And we each just talked about the track and argued and shouted and screamed. There was laughter and tears. It was very cathartic. It was almost like a therapy session. It was hysterical. It was so much fun."

"We were really going at it with all the language, straight for the jugular, refighting the battles, laughing hysterically while we put the stiletto exactly where we stuck it last time," he continued. "The engineer said it was like watching a concert. They were in Italy and it's like after dinner, and I'm here in L.A. at 10 in the morning. I'm getting more and more caffeinated as they're getting drunker and drunker."

"It seems like we're in contact all the time, but actually, years go by," Copeland said of his ongoing relationship with Summers and Sting. "It's sort of like whenever we see each other, it's like we saw each other five minutes ago. We don't have any sensation of time going by. We don't pick up the phone every week, but when we do, we pick up from where we left off."

7. The Keymaster

The Keymaster Forum Resident

Just wanted to add that I have it on good authority that this reunion is DEFINITELY happening.

A friend of mine works for Fender guitars. He told me about the Cars kinda-sorta reunion at least a year before it actually happened, because he was dealing guitars to Elliot Easton. Anyway, his wife contacted me on MySpace the other day to tell me that the rumors were indeed true, but said she couldn't give any details yet.

8. Spadeygrove

Spadeygrove Senior Member

Speaking of the recent Cars kinda-sorta reunion, I was hoping that maybe Elliot Easton and Greg Hawkes would form a band with Andy Summers and Stuart Copeland and call it the Police Cars.;)

Sorry to threadcap. Couldn't resist. Now back to our regularly scheduled program.

9. The Keymaster

The Keymaster Forum Resident

A friend of mine once said Micky Dolenz and Davy Jones should pair up with Ray Manzarek and Robbie Krieger as "The Doorkees." He also said Roger Daltrey and Pete Townshend could team up with Paul & Ringo as "The Wheatles."

I thought it was funny.

10. Batigol

Batigol Active Member

Well its officially un-official :)

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,243725,00.html

It’s looking more certain than ever that Sting is about to reunite with his original band, The Police.

The signs are strong, with enough clues available so that even Colonel Mustard could figure it out. Here’s one: Yesterday, both former Policemen Andy Summers and Stewart Copeland were guests, with their families, at a Malibu birthday party for Sting’s better half, Trudie Styler. Their appearance caused quite a stir.

And on Thursday night at the Disney Music Hall in Los Angeles, Sting dedicated a lute version of “Message in a Bottle” to the pair of former comrades who happened to be seated in the auditorium.

Further investigation: Although Sting and his camp remain mum on the subject, sources do tell me that The Police will reform this summer to celebrate their 30th anniversary.

"And on Thursday night at the Disney Music Hall in Los Angeles, Sting dedicated a lute version of “Message in a Bottle” to the pair of former comrades who happened to be seated in the auditorium."

That was really sweet of sting, almost brings tears to the eyes. Almost lol

11. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

I was just about to paste this...gossip but things look better for a reunion.

12. reechie

reechie Senior Member

I liked "The Whotles" one better. Sounds kinda Dr. Seuss-like! :D

13. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

Yeah, I like Whotles better too.

Glad to hear this reunion looks like it may happen.

14. ChrisG

ChrisG New Member

Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha!

15. speedo

speedo Member

The Police Reunion is on

Police will be reuniting for a tour this year.

16. johnny 99

johnny 99 Down On Main Street

Yabba Dabba Doo!!!! Bring On The Night!!!!:goodie:

17. Ctiger2

Ctiger2 Senior Member

cha - CHING!!!

18. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

Pink Floyd too?

19. Dugan

Dugan Senior Member

20. speedo

speedo Member

21. Batigol

Batigol Active Member

22. Cornholio

Cornholio Are you threatening me?

If they come to the PNW I'm there!

23. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

Source?

24. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Hey, if you can't trust a guy named after a form-fitting bathing suit favored by European tourists, who can you trust? :laugh:

25. Greatest Hits

Greatest Hits Just Another Compilation

This is great. Now all I ask is no Sting solo songs....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.