[POLL 1] SHM-SACD Survey: Which post 2000 pop/rock album should they release (first)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PanaPlasma, Aug 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PanaPlasma

PanaPlasma Forum Resident Thread Starter

Another "SHM-SACD Survey card" suggestion spinoff thread. This is the first poll (in a row of 4) to vote for your favourite post 2000 pop- or rockalbums released by UMG Japan.

Pick 1 of your favourites. At the end of the various polls I'll make a "hitparade" of the most voted ones and will send them to UMG Japan together with my personal survey cards.

For the older US-forummembers, who have no clue who those artists are. I added a video with a popular song from the album (all live performances). If you want to hear more, there's youtube, internet, itunes to listen to snippets of the album ;) Please discover the artists and cast your votes!

This thread is not about old vs new music (off course the Beatles were better), DSD vs PCM, Justin Bieber or whatever,... Many other threads for those discussions.

I selected about 20 albums that were popular during the last decade, what means: album contains various hitsingles appreciated by the alternative and mainstream public in different age ranges, album was a "bestseller" and won various prizes and/or awards.

01) Florence + the Machine "Lungs - Deluxe Edition"
    02) Amy Winehouse "Back To Black - Deluxe Edition"
    03) Elbow "The Seldom Seen Kid"
    04) Duffy "Rockferry - Deluxe Edition"
    05) Snow Patrol "Eyes Open"

Vote 1: Florence + the Machine

Vote 2: Amy Winehouse

Vote 3: Elbow

Vote 4: Duffy

Vote 5: Snow Patrol

Soon the other 15 albums including: The Killers, MIKA, Snow Patrol, Taylor Swift, No Doubt, Keane, Kaiser Chiefs,..., and even Lady Gaga.

2. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

3. tomd

tomd Senior Member

I'd be happy if they released something from the 90s (like Portishead) or even more from the 80s now and then.

4. robertawillisjr

robertawillisjr Music Lover

Sorry to disappoint but none of the above. I would much rather see more newer jazz releases.

5. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

If I had to choose from those 5 I'd pick Snow patrol but they definitely wouldnt be in my Top 50 of 1990s-today releases I'd like to hear on SHM-SACD. The guy who picked Portishead-Dummy is on the right track...thats a modern classic that would sound incredible on SHM-SACD.

6. PanaPlasma

I agree, one of my 90s favourites and an immediate buy.

But this topic is about the noughties.

7. tomd

tomd Senior Member

BTW,just thought I'd mention it the SHM-Cd sounds very good as well but that's not surprising since it was a well recorded album to begin with.

8. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

I didn't even know Snow Patrol was out on SHM....I'll check them out...thanks!

9. Kossjak

Kossjak Forum Resident

Sorry, but i guess the sound of all albums from the list cannot be improved by the SACD format. 90% modern albums sound like crap.
    Have you considered the final version of Death Magnetic as a potential title?

10. tomd

tomd Senior Member

No,I was referring to my copy of Portishead-Dummy on SHM-Cd

11. PanaPlasma

Oh no ...? First ... they could "re-master" the album at a normal volume level. If that ain't a huge improvement to start from I don't know.

At least, there will be no tape hiss :D

12. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

None

In fact, to show how out of touch I am with "new' music, I've even heard of Elbow or Florence + The Machines before.

Duffy sounds like every other singer of that ilk IMHO, and Snow Patrol strikes me as pretty generic too.

Amy Winehouse isn't too bad, but only in small doses (no pun intended).

13. PanaPlasma

Up :)

Cast your vote doesn't cost 50$ :)

Rather jazz-releases. No problem. But listening to more than one genre is no longer a crime these days ;)

14. PanaPlasma

By the way, you may pick 3 choices like in poll 2. Sorry I forgot to mention above.

15. White and Blue

White and Blue Active Member

Back to Black, please! I love the music, but the version I have doesn't even have the suggestion of dynamic range :shake:

16. zen

zen Senior Member

None of those float my boat.

17. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

Sorry, but with those options, none of the above would be my answer as well.

18. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

+1 that should have been an option?

19. PanaPlasma

It must be UMG Japan releases, so there isn't that much choice for modern pop/rock.

Sorry, but there are already enough pre-75 topics :) Thank god, all those classic rock albums are having "stellar sound quality" and were "extremely innovative" ...

20. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Nothing on that list interests me either.

21. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

+1.... I'm not familiar with any of these.

22. dustybooks

dustybooks rabbit advocate

Sorry to threadcrap, but speaking as someone who loves a ton of albums from the last decade, these are all rotten choices for post-2000 releases (except possibly Winehouse; as annoying as she is, there are some solid songs on there, but the album as a whole doesn't seem so special). Is this simply a question of what can actually be (or what needs) remastering? Cause I'm sort of ignorant in that department...

23. PanaPlasma

For the shm-sacd's we're restricted to Universal Japan artists. Most of the interesting artists are not on majors ;)

24. dustybooks

dustybooks rabbit advocate

Ah, okay. I see!

25. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

I can't vote - since if they released any of these on SACD, I wouldn't buy them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.