Poll: Are You a Fan of Star Trek?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by marke, Mar 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pscreed

pscreed Upstanding Member

Always loved all things Trek. Until the latest reboot. That's not Trek. Sorry.

2. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

I liked the TV shows (up until the Bakula one, which I never watched) and the movies up to IV or V, forget where I left off. I'm not interested in the big budget reboots or prequels. In the last ten years most of my ST fun has come from the Star Trek: Phase III franchise with James Cawley as Kirk (although he's just retired, the series apparently will continue). It's the only thing I see now with any gasp of the spirit of the original.

3. keef00

keef00 Senior Member

Somewhere between "Meh" and "Casual Fan." Got hooked on the original series via syndication in the late 70s, and that carried through the first 4-5 movies. Never watched STTNG or any of the later versions, but did catch the first two STTNG movies. Also saw the two reboot films.

4. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

Fall 1966 was an incredible time for television. That fall we were treated to the premieres of STAR TREK and THE TIME TUNNEL. All shows went to color and it was just an exciting time to be a television fan.

I watched the premiere of STAR TREK on September 8th, 1966. It was a sneak preview week on NBC where a lot of their new shows got a showing before the official premiere week. The episode chosen was "The Man Trap", which was picked by NBC because it had a planet set and a monster - no other reason. I think deep down I wanted to dislike the show because of my love at the time for BEWITCHED, which aired at 9 PM, while STAR TREK was 8:30 PM - 9:30 PM. Though I sort of thought the show was worthy of more looks, I couldn't desert BEWITCHED. It was going into its first color season and I just couldn't abandon it. So I made a conscious choice to stay with BEWITCHED and maybe watch the first half of STAR TREK. Meanwhile on Friday was totally enamored of THE TIME TUNNEL. The idea of time travel really got me thinking and I thought the show was really pretty darned good, particularly in those early-going episodes.

I think I got tired of not seeing the resolutions of STAR TREK episodes and by mid-season, I'd stopped watching those first half hours. But there were a few episodes here and there when BEWITCHED was preempted that I could watch a full STAR TREK. I'm pretty sure I saw the whole "Shore Leave" episode which I enjoyed.

Late in the season, a Philadelphia Evening Bulletin notice that "tonight's STAR TREK should appeal to TIME TUNNEL fans" as Capt. Kirk and company travel back to 1930's New York City. Well, being a fan of TIME TUNNEL, I obliged and was instantly a STAR TREK fan for life. Since it was the end of the season, I could now abandon BEWITCHED and watch STAR TREK throughout the summer, catching up on whatever episodes they would run. I then followed STAR TREK to its Friday night berths for the next two seasons, no longer in competition with BEWITCHED.

In the '70s, I watched the show in reruns on Philadelphia's Channel 48. And when the word of STAR TREK Conventions spread, I managed to attend the second such affair up in New York, plus a couple more over the next decade, and collected film snips from the series from the Roddenberry's Lincoln Enterprises.

I was there every week that NBC ran an animated STAR TREK on Saturday mornings, enduring their endless reruns and kiddie commercials. And I was there on opening weekend for STAR TREK: THE MOTION PICTURE and nearly every film thereafter. I watched and taped every STAR TREK: THE NEXT GENERATION, DEEP SPACE NINE, VOYAGER, and ENTERPRISE. I bought VHS tapes, LaserDiscs, DVDs, and now Blu-rays of as much as I could muster, and we continue to watch these on a rotating basis. Currently, since I never managed to get a decent copy of ENTERPRISE, and we have a free year of Netflix, we're taking advantage of that and watching the ENTERPRISE series from start to finish. And I'm trying to find time to keep up with our STAR TREK: TOS Episode By Episode thread by watching the Blu-rays.

The one movie that I did not go to see on opening weekend was the last one, INTO DARKNESS. In fact, I never even managed to get to see it in the theater. First viewing was on Blu-ray and I've not yet seen it a second time. I'm not crazy about all of the shaky-cam nonsense, am only luke-warm to the stories, but I do like the cast.

Harry

robertawillisjr and marke like this.
  5. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

6. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

jojopuppyfish likes this.
  7. marke

marke Forum Resident Thread Starter

I also liked Q. He started out as a complete jerk on the pilot of Next Generation and gradually softened over time on TNG, Deep Space Nine and Voyager. He only made about 12 appearances on the shows but he was definitely unique.

8. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

More than casual, less than Trekkie.

9. apileocole

apileocole Lush Life Gort

10. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

I'm a huge Q fan and wish he made more appearances. He did some serious episodes but mostly he was great comic relief. Love this Q scene...

11. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

I liked him too and was glad the show had come full circle with him, beginning and ending with Q. In my humble opinion, the series finale, All Good Things, is the best TNG episode.

12. John54

John54 Senior Member

Not really a fan but I watched a lot of episodes in the 1960s. In retrospect I was wasting time that could have been better used listening to the radio.

13. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

yes, very much so!

14. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

That's me as well. The other shows were OK to some degree, but they never grabbed me the way the original show did.

15. Paul Saldana

Paul Saldana jazz vinyl addict

the villain Michael Myers in the Halloween horror movies wears a Captain Kirk adult rubber mask.

16. Paul Saldana

Paul Saldana jazz vinyl addict

I make it a point to see all the time travel and alternate universe episodes, I like to see Star Trek turned on its head.

17. AJH

AJH Senior Member

I'm more than a casual fan, but I'm not a fanatic. I liked almost all of Trek TV (including Star trek Enterprise) except for Star Trek Voyager (which I just could not get into at all). I liked the movies up to and including Star Trek IV, after that, I'm not a fan of the subsequent movies.

AJH

18. Balthazar

Balthazar Forum Resident

Considering my friends who would answer "Trekkie forever," I'm definitely just a casual fan. I haven't even watched all the newer TV series.

19. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

Set phasors to 'malky'!!

20. I'm a fan (and not a Trekkie but maybe a closet Trekker) but wouldn't put it in the top 5 either although the Next Gen would be close (or DS9)

21. Erik Tracy

Die hard fan of TOS.

In the early 80's I used to hang out with some friends watching TOS play over and over in syndication.

One day our GF's were over as well for an afternoon potluck/bbq we planned - Star Trek was on the tv and we were quoting lines just before they were spoken on the show - my friends GF said - "You guys are scary." :D

22. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

Fairly enthusiastic casual fan, though nothing approaching completist compulsion.
    So what qualifies as unsanitary SF (besides "Event Horizon," a godawful thing I'd drag into my mental recycling bin if I could)?

benjaminhuf likes this.
  23. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

The above does not compute.

24. Erik Tracy

:laugh:

25. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

It's like a pretty flower, that smells bad.

benjaminhuf likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.