Poll: Are You a Fan of Star Trek?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by marke, Mar 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. benjaminhuf

benjaminhuf Forum Resident

Maybe I'm misremembering, but I thought you said once that you'd only watched maybe a dozen episodes or so of Next Generation, and maybe only a few fragments of DS9 and Voyager? If I'm wrong, I apologize, but I'm not sure you've given the shows after TOS enough of a chance. But, like you, I watch a fair amount of the gritty R-rated TV fare of cable these days (BSG, Game of Thrones, etc.), which makes the almost G-rated Star Trek seem pretty tame in comparison. And no doubt in some ways it's dated, but....

As someone who remasters programs for a living, maybe you should give rebuild of Next Generation one more chance? I've made a pitch for this before, but perhaps you could borrow someone else's blu-rays, or even just watched the remastered versions on Amazon Prime where you can stream them for "free"?

In the unlikely event you can be convinced, here are a few recommended episodes...

From S1: The Battle, The Arsenal of Freedom, and Conspiracy.

S2: A Matter of Honor, The Measure of a Man, Contagion, Time Squared, Q Who, and Samaritan Snare

S3: The Defector, Yesterday's Enterprise, The Offspring, Sins of the Father, Sarek, and The Best of Both Worlds....

Last edited: Mar 2, 2014
  2. benjaminhuf

Yeah, I'm a fairly big fan, as you can tell, but for some reason I like Trekkie better than Trekker. I don't have posters on my walls, and never did (well, just before Star Trek the Motion Picture came out I had a small 8.5 x 11 one for a few months), but I've now seen most of the episodes.

I'm a college prof., and I'm even considering trying to teach a course on Star Trek in American culture. I wouldn't be the first one to do that. Anyway, I've already tried to select some episodes, themes, and articles, but it's still very much a work in progress. Maybe some of the fans here have some thoughts about what would make a good Trek course.....?

3. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

The original

4. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I've watched pieces of all of them, and not of them grabbed me. If I had the time, I'd love to watch more, but other projects and newer shows take precedence.

benjaminhuf likes this.
  5. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

I never would have made it through adolescence, college, young adulthood, and middle age without it. Trekkie forever!

marke, jriems and Erik Tracy like this.
  6. Marvin

Marvin Senior Member

Not a fan. I don't hate it - just never liked it at all. But that was the closest choice.

Moshe likes this.
  7. benjaminhuf

Fair enough. +++

8. How each Trek series reflects our culture since they really are about the time they are made in reflecting the political and social issues that we face at the time.

benjaminhuf and Vidiot like this.
  9. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

Best Riker line from that episode...'I don't need your fantasy women'

Darryl

10. Jupiter

Jupiter Forum Resident

Dirt, grime, sweat, a real working environment. Alien ( not the sequels), Bladerunner, etc. People in practical uniforms, with pockets, carrying equipment of actual weight and heft. Star Trek is clean, antiseptic, nothing looks real. Fantasy, really.

SBurke likes this.
  11. redfloatboat

redfloatboat Forum Resident

only the original series'.

12. apileocole

apileocole Lush Life Gort

If you want to debate degrees of familiarity vs. fantasy in Star Trek vs. whatever else, please start a thread for that topic. It's a bit of a side trek track in this one. Thanks. :)

13. Jupiter

Jupiter Forum Resident

Mmm... Ok

14. The Wanderer

The Wanderer Seeker of Truth

Used to be a fan - now looks too dated and static.

15. I'd add "Star Wars" because it was one of the first films set in space that tried to make things look like they were "old" and used and had been there for a while.

16. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

I'd add Firefly and its companion film, Serenity, to that list as well.

17. robertawillisjr

robertawillisjr Music Lover

I watched the first episode in BW, the second in color at a friend's house and the third in color in my house. I have seen all of the movies (some good, some bad), and most of all of the series (DS 9 is my favorite). I don't live for Star Trek and I haven't been to any conventions, but I still consider myself a Trekkie/Trekker/whatever.

jriems likes this.
  18. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I'd call myself a casual fan. I love the original series and the films with the original crew. I've read Shatner's "Star Trek Memories" books and maybe read a couple of Star Trek novels as a teenage. I don't know the combination to Captain Kirk's safe or the number of horses Shatner has, so I don't think I qualify as a Trekkie or Trekker. I don't give a rat's ass about "The Next Generation" or anything else that came after.

19. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

I am a Trekkie. The reason I am a Trekkie is that was what a Star Trek fan was called back when I started watching in the late 60s to early 70s. This means that I've seen the original series episodes about a million times each, I have been to Star Trek conventions, I collect Star Trek memorabilia, I've seen all of the movies and other Star Trek series episodes numerous times, and I just plain love Star Trek.

I will say that as the last 40 years have rolled by, however, my "ferver" for Star Trek has lessened considerably. I think I've just gotten worn out over the decades, and am on a bit of a hiatus with other TV series, movies, and hobbies pushing Star Trek to the back of the line for a time. Don't worry, though - I'll be back in the captain's chair eventually.

marke likes this.
  20. Yes, it would fit as would Babylon 5 and, even to some degree, Deep Space Nine.

21. I also thinkers of that fatigue was Paramount decision to push out new Trek programs as old ones left the air without giving those running the franchise a chance to look around and assess what was working and what was not.

22. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

23. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

The original TV series DVD box or Blu Ray box ?

24. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

The bd new opening credits and improved picture are Trekkies ok with this?

25. milankey

milankey Forum Resident

I don't think I've ever watched a full episode of Star Trek. Never saw Star Wars either.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.