POLL: Bee Gees BIG TRIP--"ODESSA"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Psychedelic Good Trip, Jul 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere Thread Starter

:edthumbs:
    AGREED BIG TIME !!

JeffMo likes this.
  2. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

props, especially First Of May.

Psychedelic Good Trip likes this.
  3. Psychedelic Good Trip

4. Psychedelic Good Trip

Amazing tune, even live.

JeffMo and lennonfan1 like this.
  5. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

If you've ever had someone in your world that you loved more than life itself, and they passed away on you, that song can hit you like a ton of bricks.

JeffMo and Psychedelic Good Trip like this.
  6. Psychedelic Good Trip

:cry:
    Your so right.

lennonfan1 likes this.
  7. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

But then you wouldn't have another great album with a cult following. And a drum machine: "Robin's Reign":faint:

8. Billo

Billo Forum Resident

In the UK Polydor later divided 'Odessa' up into 'Marley Purt Drive' and 'Sound of Love' budget albums in their '99' series with revised covers

I have a red felt copy of 'Odessa' too - looks like they inspired a James Bond film title with 'Never Say Never Again' !

the two budget priced Contour albums 'Massachusetts' and 'I've Gotta Get A Message To You' are very important re 'B' sides, a few solo tracks, plus the rare 'Eliza'

'Cucumber Castle' featuring just Barry and Maurice is interesting too - Robin is badly missed but the album has some fine songs nevertheless

a very underrated album - even by themselves - is 'To Whom it May Concern' with each given a solo spotlight, Maurice vocal on 'You Know it's For You' points towards his later few great solo leads for them, and 'Bad Bad Dreams' is surprisingly powering rock, so too 'Road To Alaska', while 'Sea of Smiling Faces' has great harmonies, Maurice great synth' work characterises 'Sweet Song of Summer',

'We Lost The Road' sounds autobiographical possibly reflecting on their break up and interrupted musical journey...(?)

Robin's 'Never Been Alone' is introspective and compelling as ever

... and the weird but absorbing excercise of themes that is 'Paper Mache Cabbages and Kings' which veers from a jaunty Greek style number...to strong harmonies...then a pause for Barry's building up impassioned soul vocal section...and finally becomes a Russian style speeding up outro with odd lyrics ('Jimmy had a bomb and the bomb went bang, Jimmy was everywhere..' !)

- some loathe this track but it fascinates me as it's an excercise in song styles, atmospheres, and unexpected tempo changes showing the older more offbeat surreal Gibb Brothers of their first four albums - yet the album still has the very traditional Bee Gees style superior hit ballad 'Run To Me' as well...plus 'Alive' too

a very underrated album from 1972 well worth a re-visit by all concerned !

While I love all their eras, I find I often particularly enjoy the supposedly 'lesser' Bee Gees albums such as TWIMC and later 'Living Eyes'

I have the single; 'Wouldn't I be Someone' c/w 'King and Country' which like 'Eliza' and 'It Doesn't Matter Much To Me' come from the unissued 'A Kick in The Head' album...

Last edited: Nov 10, 2016
  9. Bob J

Bob J Forum Resident

When was that single issued? I have both an original US & UK pressing of the "Wouldn't I Be Someone" single and both versions have "Elisa" as the B-side.

10. Billo

Billo Forum Resident

My copy is from Germany 1973

'King and Country' is a mainly acoustic number sung by Barry Gibb which lasts just over 5 minutes in the full version that should have been on the album 'A Kick in The Head...' but the single 'B' side version is shorter I'm sure
    - I haven't played it in years !

Last edited: Nov 10, 2016
  11. Bob J

Bob J Forum Resident

OK, that's interesting. I haven't played "A Kick in the Head..." in a long time but I remember it as being an uneven album....some really nice songs and some of lesser quality.

12. MelodyFair

MelodyFair West Coast Suburban Hausfrau

Does anyone know why "With All Nations" is not on my 1985 German pressing (825 451-2) ? What's the reason for it being omitted? This is the first CD pressing I believe.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2016
  13. TheLazenby

TheLazenby Forum Resident In Memoriam

Just listened to this album through for the first time as part of an all-inclusive Bee Gees marathon, lots on there I'd never heard before.

And holy cow, this album just blew me away. I truly understand why it's hailed as a masterpiece.

Now, do I think "Lamplight" would've been a hit single as Robin believed, and that it was worth quitting the band over? Well, no.... it's a lot less accessible than "First Of May", but it's a fantastic song, especially the chorus.

Man at C&A, granata, Jarleboy and 2 others like this.
  14. TheLazenby

It's not bad, if you listen to it as intended (as follows) -

SIDE ONE
    01) Elisa
    02) Wouldn't I Be Someone
    03) A Lonely Violin
    04) Losers And Lovers
    05) Home Again Rivers

SIDE TWO
    01) Harry's Gate
    02) Rocky L.A.
    03) Castles In The Air
    04) Where Is Your Sister
    05) It Doesn't Matter Much To Me

"Dear Mr. Kissinger", "King and Country", "Jesus In Heaven" and "Life, Am I Wasting My Time" were *not* meant to be part of the album. They were actually recorded months after the album wrapped (and in a different country entirely!), and are stuck onto the "Kick In The Head" master tape for some reason no one is sure of.

15. Bob J

Bob J Forum Resident

Thanks for that info. I never knew that. The burned CD copy I have doesn't have "Jesus in Heaven" but the other three are at the end of the "official" tracks.

16. TheLazenby

Yeah.... I'm not sure there's a bootleg (even the higher quality one claiming to be a Polydor release) that gets the track list right. Most just completely scramble the tracks.

17. TheLazenby

'Jimmy' was a nod to Jimmy Stevens, who Maurice did an album with around that time.

Thanks to the "Bee Gees Halloween" boot (which edits out the ballad middle section), I always expect that song to segue into a truly awful quality version of "Come Some Christmas Eve Or Halloween." XD

18. HeavensAbove

HeavensAbove Forum Resident

Odessa ( City On The Black Sea)
    You'll Never See My Face Again
    Marley Purt Drive
    Melody Fair
    Never Say Never Again
    First of May

19. Psychedelic Good Trip

Incredible Odessa pick 6 line-up.

20. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing

All time favorite Bee Gees album. Always listen start to finish--my felt flocked vinyl--start to finish.

What single do you all think might have been better to promote this wonderful effort--their best IMHO.

For me--

"You'll Never See My Face"/"Sound Of Love" would have been a two sided hit. Robin's choice "Lamplight " would have been great also -- but especially not the single chosen--"First Of May"....just too low key for radio play though I love it dearly.

My a-side pick--this youtube play is rather thin on the audio--the vinyl original on my TT is deep and strong. Awesome!

Another possible pick would be "I Laugh In Your Face" -- closer to their earlier hits such as Massachusetts.

Bee Gees- I Laugh In Your Face

Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
  21. Psychedelic Good Trip

Love the Lamplight. Robin was amazing.

NumberEight and lemonade kid like this.
  22. Psychedelic Good Trip

:edthumbs:

Great tune!!

23. Psychedelic Good Trip

A morning of Jazz. Now just spinning the stereo reissue of Odessa. Beautiful sounding album. Gees greatness.

granata, Jarleboy and lemonade kid like this.
  24. granata

granata Forum Resident

The Bee Gees reissue campaign started amazingly, with the sumptuous 1st-Horizontal-Idea boxset(s) and the almost-as-great Odessa sets...

<sigh> :waiting:

JeffMo and Psychedelic Good Trip like this.
  25. Psychedelic Good Trip

More have we in-store from brother Barry?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.