Poll: Black Sabbath "13" or Deep Purple "Now What?!"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jon9091, Mar 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. danielbravo

danielbravo Senior Member

Right ... Ozzy is pretty run down and personally think it's one of the factors that most affect my appreciation of "13"

2. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

Ozzy sounds amazing on "13", and his vox were far more intact than Ian's lately, at the show I attended.

Not that I want to make this Ozzy vs. Ian. However, the Ozzy "vocals are shot"thing just isn't right, and certainly not right in comparison to the lead singer of DP.

3. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

So you are saying that one guy sounded better on a recording than another sounded at one specific live performance?????!

4. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

I said: Ozzy sounded amazing on "13" (one separate thought)

I also said : Ozzy's vocals, were more intact, than Ian Gillan's, as of late, at the show I attended. ( another thought, implying a live comparison)

I also said: I don't want to make this (subject of the thread) about Ozzy vs. Ian.

If you read my previous post, I answered the poll question: "Sabbath", without commentary on the deterioration of either singers vocal quality. As a fan of both bands, and as an owner of both records, IMO, Sabbath "13" is the better record.

In the post that you are quoting, I'm simply responding to "Ozzy's voice is not up to the task", which I don't agree with, and find ironic in comparison to Ian Gillan, "lately."

I'm not interested in criticizing the current vocal quality of Ian Gillan, but I certainly cannot come to the conclusion that his former vocal powers are intact, while Ozzy Osbournes are not.

His (Ian's) former range was among the greatest that a rock and roll singer has ever had. However, if I listen to "In Rock" or even "Perfect Stangers" vs. "Now What?!", there is a greater disparity (and not in a good way) than Ozzy...say "Master Of Reality " vs. "13", IMO.

In comparing performances, I saw and heard Ian in 1995 at Long Beach Arena, "Perfect Strangers" tour, I saw him at the House of Blues in 06 or 07 in Anaheim, and saw Deep Purple in Las Vegas in the summer of 2011. I enjoyed all the shows, and wouldn't want to spend time criticizing him, because it's extremely difficult for him to do what he once did.

However, seeing Sabbath in the summer of 2013, and hearing Ozzy on record in 2013, does not conclude for me that his voice is not up to the task. In relation to how Ozzy sounded and how he sounds now, there is less of a departure, IMO, than how Ian sounded and how he sounds now.

I didn't think I had to, and didn't really want to, expand on a simple and direct reply to a post that was critical of Ozzy's vocals. I'm not offended by that post, and hope you're not offended by my reply to it.

I don't favor "13" over "Now What?!" because of the vocals, or certainly not the vocals alone. I think "13" is the better album by a large margin.....because of the songs.

I hope both bands keep it going. :)

danielbravo likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.