Poll: Black Sabbath "13" or Deep Purple "Now What?!"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jon9091, Mar 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

And another important thing - as much as I like the great late Ronnie Dio I think that 13 settles the Ozzy vs Dio argument once and for all. Not because it's 100 times the better record than The Devil you know was but simply it shows the magic finally happening and everything falling into place. I used to think of Ozzy as Connery, Dio as Moore. Now I truly understand that there is NO Sabbath without Ozzy. Period.

2. Andersoncouncil

Andersoncouncil Forum Resident

Thanks for the reviews antonkk. I was worried that this would be a letdown . I've heard it all the way through only once, but I am very impressed!

Glad I pre-ordered the deluxe CD with 3 extra tracks. Now I'm hoping this is a full-fledged reunion and we'll get at least one more studio album from the Sabs---didn't they mention somewhere that they recorded 16 tracks for this new album?

3. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

I'm sure this record was meant as the last one - with a very familiar sounds of rain and bell ringing in the end of the record. If so it's a glorious way to go out - not simply with the bang but with their best record in 38 years!

4. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Well at least he's not setting our expectations too high.

Brudy likes this.
  5. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

My rating

13 - 9/10
    Now What? - 2/10

6. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

I thought it was solid on first listen, need to listen some more to let it sink in. I don't think it's the comeback album of the ages though.

7. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

It is. As good as Perfect Strangers and much more amazing in fact. Perfect Strangers was recorded when all Purple guys including Gillan and Blackmore were at the height of their powers so people who followed their solo careers knew it was going to be real good. 13 is more like the miracle of Lazarus being brought back from the dead. Rick Rubin is ****ing magician is you ask me.

8. progrocker71

I'm assuming that you haven't liked anything Iommi has released since the 70s?

9. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

Not at all. But his 80's and early 90's work was entirely different kind of music - just metal (some great, some not so). Classic Sabbath is so much more! And starting with Forbidden he simply sucked - all his solo efforts and Heaven and Hell album were HORRIBLE. The same goes for the last few Ozzy solo records.

10. alex-57

alex-57 Forum Resident

Deep Purple "Now What?!" for me

danielbravo, zen and Carserguev like this.
  11. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

I more or less agree with you although I didn't think Heaven And Hell was horrible-I mentioned in another thread that it literally took me several years to grow into it! As far as Ozzy is concerned, I couldn't care less about anything he's done in about 30 years.

12. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

Rael, I meant Heaven and Hell - The Devil you know, NOT the Black Sabbath - Heaven and Hell album!

13. Machiventa

Machiventa Forum Resident

Is it overly compressed and clipping? That last Metallica album was atrocious.

14. Brudy

Brudy Senior Member

I think it's about what I thought it would be. It's pretty good - better than anything Sabbath or Ozzy has done in decades (I don't do post-Dio Sabbath and Bark at the Moon was the last Ozzy record I thought was any good. I'm not a Zakk Wylde fan). But I don't know if it will do enough for me to get me to keep listening. Feels like an obvious attempt to get back to the roots, but that moment is uncatchable. There's something a little tiresome about it, but I'm not really in a metal place so take it with a grain of salt. I grew up on Sabbath, Ozzy, Dio, JP, Iron Maiden, but I don't know, I can't quite get there with this one yet.

15. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

I only heard the MP3. I was talking about music, not about sonics.

16. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality Thread Starter

I'm through the first side and this thing rocks. Love Age of Reason...Zeitgeist takes me right back to the Planet Caravan vibe.

This is a Monster album.

Damn it Anton is right.

What was the other band we were talking about here? Vanilla Fudge? Deep who?

Tony Iommi the Iron Man vs Steve Morse the Dixie Dreg

Sorry this is not even close.

I do miss Bill Ward here I must say. But Iommi is on a f'n mission.

This blues track is awesome.

17. I think Black Sabbath made the stronger Album, by quite a margin.

While I think "Now What?!" really has ist musical moments and is not a bad Album, the new Sabbath album is very strong and really one the strongest reunion album by any band.

I would rate the Deep Purple album a 5...6 out of 10 and the Sabbath Album a 8...9 out of 10.

18. progrocker71

I dig both albums, they will feature prominently on my best of 2013 list.

Carserguev and zen like this.
  19. zen

zen Senior Member

[​IMG]

One shocker of a moment was when Deep Purple were awarded the Comeback of the Year award, beating out Black Sabbath in a controversial decision. Anthrax‘s Scott Ian, who announced the nominees, was visibly disappointed at the result. (Jethro Tull, anyone?) Ian even tweeted about the decision later on: Deep Purple? Black Sabbath!!!!

It should be stated that the awards were fan-voted, so it’s hard to knock the organizers when it came to the winners.

Read More: 2014 Revolver Golden Gods Awards: The Best + Worst Moments

Anthrax, dirie and Carserguev like this.
  20. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality Thread Starter

Here’s the full list of winners of the 2014 Revolver Golden Gods Awards:

Best Vocalist: Josh Homme of Queens of the Stone Age
    Best Live Band: Rob Zombie
    Most Devoted Fans: Avenged Sevenfold
    Best New Talent: Twelve Foot Ninja
    Comeback of the Year: Deep Purple
    Paul Gray Best Bassist Award: Chris Kael, 5FDP
    Best Film & DVD: Pierce the Veil
    Best Drummer: Arin Ilejay, Avenged Sevenfold
    Song of the Year: Five Finger Death Punch, ‘Lift Me Up’
    Most Metal Athlete: Josh Barnett, Mixed Martial Arts
    Dimebag Darrell Best Guitarist: Synyster Gates and Zacky Vengeance, Avenged Sevenfold
    Album of the Year: Black Sabbath, ’13′
    Golden God Award: Joan Jett
    Ronnie James Dio Lifetime Achievement Award: Axl Rose

Read More: 2014 Revolver Golden Gods Winners | http://loudwire.com/2014-revolver-golden-gods-winners/?trackback=tsmclip

Clanceman likes this.
  21. lee59

lee59 Member Envy

I'm with Purple on this one.

To me, 'Now What?' sounds like a band with ALL of it's powers intact.

All due respect to Sabbath though. It's just that Ozzy's voice is not up to the task.

zen, danielbravo and Carserguev like this.
  22. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

Did Deep Purple go away? I thought they have released a steady amount of Studio albums since 1984 and continued to have live concerts and live albums released, what I am missing here. Now What! is no better or Worse than Rapture Of The Deep, its not another Machine Head or In Rock ???

Last edited: May 1, 2014
    jon9091 likes this.
  23. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Sabbath, for me.

Clanceman likes this.
  24. danielbravo

danielbravo Senior Member

I love NowWhat! It is quite dynamic and is very well produced. It is the best they have recorded since Steve Morse is in the band. Not Jon Lord and many may not like it but this does not affect my overall appreciation to the album.
    13 is a good album but I personally expected something more adventurous, less obvious and more risky (expecting to hear something of the vibe of Sabbath Bloody Sabbath or Sabotage) I love Balck Sabbath and this album sincerely disappointed me a little. However, to the circumstances surrounding the recording process is a good job. It could be better ...

Between the two I prefer NowWhat!

zen and Barnabas Collins like this.
  25. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

I thought I voted here months ago. I guess not.

Sabbath!

jon9091 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.