POLL: Clash self-titled -- US or UK?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Monosterio, Jan 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. asodoma

asodoma Senior Member

I was just listening to the US version, white label promo, 1A/1A and it has "I Fought The Law" on it...

Gavinyl and Dudley Morris like this.
  2. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

There is only one debut-album from the Clash the UK one. Imo one of the strongest debut-album ever

3. brianvargo

brianvargo Senior Member

The UK version is the brilliant debut album from one of the greatest bands ever to walk the planet and is of a piece. If it had been released as intended in the United States in 1977, I can't imagine that anyone would be advocating replacing its "lesser" songs with non-album tracks that often didn't fit sonically or, given the more sophisticated lyrics and worldview of at least "White Man in Hammersmith Palais" and "Complete Control," conceptually. Indeed, if the UK debut had been released in the US in 1977, I suspect we'd now either be praising the amazing 1979 US compilation that rounded up all those stray tracks - viva capitalism! - or wondering why such a compilation was never released.

Of course, what we got was the US version of The Clash, and it stands as the best compilation of their early years prior to the assembly of the first disc of The Clash on Broadway. It's a fine album in its own right, not to mention good value for the money. But to my mind it is not an alternative version of the first album; it shares a title and a similar cover, but otherwise provides for a vastly different experience. It's as good as the many 45-minute mix tapes I made of the early Clash as a younger man in the 90s, and has the advantage of being "official," but it's not the Clash's debut album. Just a great comp.

4. Rodney Toady

Rodney Toady Waste of cyberspace

Even though the single tracks included on the US version may be better songs than the ones they have replaced, the UK album still wins simply because it is more consistent and unified in both content and sound. Also, the sequencing on the US version isn't particularly impressive - removing Janie Jones from being the album opener is probably the biggest mistake, and not having Career Opportunities open the B side is another that considerably lessens the overall impact of the whole. Taken as a compilation (as it should be) the US album isn't bad, but hardly comparable with the UK original.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2015
    danielbravo, ralphb and Gavinyl like this.
  5. jerrygene

jerrygene Forum Resident

For me one of the best openings of any album is Janie Jones and I can't conceive of the album without it kicking it off but then again the inclusion of White Man on the US album made this a great one..
    2 different experiences indeed...2 great albums.

6. Emberglow

Emberglow Senior Member

UK. When I drop my stylus, I always expect to hear the intro to 'Janie Jones'. 'White Man In Hammersmith Palais' and the Bobby Fuller cover don't belong here.

Gavinyl likes this.
  7. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

I hit "Equally good".
    UK is the real thing but the US compilation is a killer.

vince likes this.
  8. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

I remember buying the USA remastered cd and LOVING the sound and extra tracks.

9. bradman

bradman Forum Resident

Pretty much this. The U.S. tracks,which are great, sound out of place and the U.K. tracks that were dropped are missed. I have both but always reach for the original.

Gavinyl likes this.
  10. Hey Vinyl Man

Hey Vinyl Man Another bloody Yank down under...

I own the US CD, and I bought the missing UK tracks on iTunes. Why choose one or the other when you can so easily have both?

The Pinhead likes this.
  11. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Same as with Gary Numan's US vs. UK edition cds. Both have a lot of bonus tracks but are not the same. He does make sure you buy both. Usually I buy the most readily available import and illegaly d.load the missing song.

12. alchemy

alchemy Forum Resident

US beause I can't do with out: I Fought The Law Complete Control.

13. krlpuretone

krlpuretone Forum Resident

Agree with the sentiment that the four deleted songs on the 1977 UK version was replaced with better songs on the US release in 1979 and am used to Clash City Rockers opener from the cassette version back in the day. But then both versions are inexpensive and plentiful on CD, so there's no excuse not to own both.

14. BeardedSteven

BeardedSteven Forum Resident

I generally agree that since the UK version is the one that the band intended for release that is the better one. But... I grew up with the US release, like several others said. That's the one I know. That's how I voted...

15. Aris

Aris Labor Omnia Vincit

UK version for me but I have both on the shelves.

The US version was a compilation released in '79 and it was their second release in the US.
    Out of curiousity in America the original UK version as an import, became the best-selling import of the year.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2015
  16. profholt82

profholt82 Resident Blowhard

I think the UK is the superior album and it has a much better overall flow, as the songs that were removed from the US were much more "punk" than those they were replaced with (especially "Cheat"). That said, I think the additions to the US are great songs, especially "White Man," which is one of the best of their earlier songs in my opinion, so it's nice to have the option to listen to either edition.

17. Aris

Aris Labor Omnia Vincit

And "White Riot", the US version has a re-recorded version and not the original version.

danielbravo and linclink like this.
  18. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

If you like The Clash, eventually you'll need to get both versions. Just remember when your arranging them in your CD collection the UK s/t goes first and the US s/t goes after Give 'Em Enough Rope.

berlinerpunk likes this.
  19. Veni Vidi Vici

Veni Vidi Vici Forum Resident

The songs dropped from the UK version were the weakest tracks.

In the opinion of the West Coast Under Assistant Record Promoter Men who compiled the U.S. version, that is. :doh:

Incredible how these throwaway judgements by some hack 40 years ago become the received wisdom of the ages. Not very punk, is it?

"Deny" is one of the best and most melodic tracks on the album. It has a killer accusatory, anti-heroin lyric, and is loaded with some of the best hooks on the album. "Cheat" has even more phasing than "Doremi Fasol Latido" which over a pint with Bernie and Parsons they tipped their hat too. "Protex Blue" is a throwaway, true, but has a nice oh-so-British gag at the end.

The US album really is great, mind. There's no angle here for cross-Atlantic catalogue one-upmanship. Just don't miss out on the UK tracks slandered as weak. Only the suits at CBS ever thought they were.

Halfwit likes this.
  20. Veni Vidi Vici

Veni Vidi Vici Forum Resident

It's the 7" version, the LP version was a demo.

21. rrbbkk

rrbbkk Forum Resident

Indeed. It was released after "Give 'em Enough Rope" or close to the same time. We ardent Clash fans had been snapping up the import of their debut for more than a year if memory serves. The US version was bound to disappoint but I enjoy both equally.

22. Mark B.

Mark B. Forum Resident

I'm fortunate enough to have a WLP of the US version, so I have to go with it. I do however see how the UK version would be the preference if it's the one you heard first. For my money though, "White Man" and "I Fought" just belong on this album.

23. Aris

Aris Labor Omnia Vincit

Yep, released in the UK as a single, March '77 and the album with the original version was released in April.

24. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

I bought the UK release as soon as it hit the import shops, so, to me, that's the way it should sound, one of the great debut albums and no weak tracks as far as I'm concerned.
    As I also purchsed the amazing run of three singles that followed it on release, I never felt the need for the US compilation.

danielbravo and R. Totale like this.
  25. Sandinista

Sandinista Forum Resident

I can appreciate this, both the sentiment and objective truth.

My experience (and I suspect many others) began with the US album. I loved it. Maybe more importantly, I was 12 or whatever and simply did not know there was a UK version. It wasn't until several years later that I learned of it.

By the time I heard the UK version the US version was already imbedded in my DNA - right or wrong - as the debut. Thankfully, with the Sound System box I have the UK and can make my own US.

I did pick US, btw - simply on the strength of the added songs, some of which are in my Clash top 10.

brianvargo likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.