POLL/Comment: John Cougar Mellencamp- Any Interest In A 4-Disc Live Release?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Paperback Writer, Feb 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paperback Writer

Paperback Writer Forum Resident Thread Starter

Tom Petty’s Live Anthology pleased many different forms of fans; 1 The Petty Life long Fans 2. The appreciative fans of his work. 3 The casual fans. 4. The fans who liked his hits. 5. The newly initiated.

It alllwed all to dive into his catalogue while enjoying live concert renditions of hits; deep cuts; covers and under heard tracks favored by the artist. For some it introduced or re-introduced him to the music listening public.

Is there an interest in a similar release from Mellancamp? The concerts would include his classic lineups of the 80’s 90’s etc.

I have never seen him in concert; count myself as a casual fan; enjoying a 2 disc comp and sampling some of his better known albums on streaming services - so I think a four disc release would serve several purposes; as it did for Tom ; as outlined above.

Please vote and comment -especially if you have seen him in concert! Does he bring a certain dynamic to his catalogue live; in concert?

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
  2. Maybe, if it is chronological

the presence of his classic 80s line up is a must, otherwise it could be too much of a sleeper

3. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

Yes as long as there are shows from the 80's and 90's on there.

4. Jackson

Jackson Senior Member

Paperback Writer likes this.
  5. Paperback Writer

Thanks for the reviews! Makes me want a live release, even more.

Jackson likes this.
  6. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Yeah - I'd be all-in for a set like this! :righton:

7. csqmnem89

csqmnem89 Forum Resident

definitely!

8. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Especially if he includes some of those great covers form the earlier days. He did a Joe South medley one tour--how cool was that?

9. ivan_wemple

ivan_wemple Senior Member

Sure. I like Mellencamp. He's no Tom Petty, but ... yeah, why not?

10. jeffd7030

jeffd7030 I can't complain, but sometimes I still do.

I voted for live deep tracks.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  11. Jackson

Jackson Senior Member

That’s the exact way I feel about Tom Petty’s music, I like it, but he”s no Mellencamp.:)

12. Brian Barker

Brian Barker "No matter where you go, there you are"

I'd rather see the release of a few complete shows from different tours than one large set with different periods represented, but if one large set is the only option, then it'd do.

13. Ignatius

Ignatius Forum Resident

Fondly remembering 1970s radio promos for "Johnny Cougar!!"
    [​IMG]

14. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

I'd love a new live concert featuring the Scarecrow lineup and recorded at a Farm Aid.

15. Easily Tom's equal and has done what Neil Young is always feted for, but rarely accomplishes, delivering excellent mature work

16. Paperback Writer

Great idea for the poll that I missed! ( My brain often freezes when I get to the poll questions)
    Complete shows can be fab.

Brian Barker likes this.
  17. Paperback Writer

Meanwhile; I should seriously start checking this and Life; Death; Live and Freedom out. Anybody have these and reccomend?

Trouble No More Live at Town Hall
    Page issues
    Trouble No More Live at Town Hall is a live album by singer-songwriter John Mellencampreleased on July 8, 2014 on Mercury Records.[1] The album captures Mellencamp's live performance at Town Hall in New York City on July 31, 2003, in which he performed every track from his 2003 Trouble No More covers album as well as several other songs, including his own "Small Town", "Paper in Fire", and "Pink Houses".

Trouble No More Live at Town Hall
    [​IMG]
    Live album by John Mellencamp
    Released
    July 8, 2014
    Recorded July 31, 2003
    Venue Town Hall in New York City
    Genre
    Label Mercury
    John Mellencamp chronology
    No Better Than This
    (2010) Trouble No More Live at Town Hall
    (2014) Plain Spoken
    (2014)
    The album omits two songs he performed on the night—renditions of "House of the Rising Sun", a traditional folk song made popular by The Animals, and "The End of the World", a 1962 Skeeter Davis hit that was on the original Trouble No Morealbum.

In his original review of this performance in the New York Times, Jon Pareles wrote that Mellencamp's "scruffy baritone and its deep-seated rasp are rooted in 1960's soul, and he treated the old s

18. Caruso65

Caruso65 Forum Resident

Yes please hard to believe he has no live cds from the 80’s or 90’s

19. Paperback Writer

Like this?

Love it; I want my 4 disc live.

20. Paperback Writer

Which begs the question: Why isn’t there muchFarm Aid Music available on disc?
    It would be both great music - and a fundraiser!

Jackson likes this.
  21. screechmartin

screechmartin Senior Member

The only time I saw him he opened with "Gimme Shelter." I realize that "Gimme Shelter" is not a "deep" cover, but it was fantastic.

22. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

Not sure but what the hell ...

I loved John's early albums but fell off his work as he approached mid career. A live collection like the Springsteen one that took an overview of his performances over a long period might be very interesting to me. To be honest though I'd probably stream it in the first instance so it would have to be very good to merit a full purchase.

23. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

i honestly can't believe he has no live albums from the 80's or 90's. what a missed opportunity

24. Jackson

Jackson Senior Member

I remember it well, the Cuttin' Heads tour, a totally unexpected, and mind blowing opening, at least for me. I had seen John numerous times by then, but there was something special about that particular show and tour. This was two days after 9/11 and i remember thinking how appropriate it was to open with Gimme Shelter.

25. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

Yes and include an acoustic side like this............

[​IMG]

and the last time I saw John live, it was with John Fogerty in 2005. It was wonderful.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.