Poll . Cost of your system

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Tim 2, Jun 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE Thread Starter

I no many here will say cost is not as important as sound quality and I must agree but can we at least get an idea of where members stand when it comes to the money the've invested.

2. Colin M

Colin M Forum Resident

Will there be a way of changing my vote later in the year? :winkgrin: What with exchange rates and a need for a new SACD player.

3. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

On the one hand, I've got something like 5 component stereos of varying quality throughout the house. But the price is well under $2000 for everything. On the other hand someone else paid a lot more than that for stuff I've been given and some of the used stuff I've bought has been crazy cheap.

Repeter13 and morinix like this.
  4. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

Do you mean retail cost or actual $ spent?

vonwegen likes this.
  5. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Suggest retail prices

vonwegen and Tim 2 like this.
  6. RonW

RonW Forum Resident

Which system?

Ntotrar, morinix and nm_west like this.
  7. Metralla

Your best

Tim 2 likes this.
  8. RonW

RonW Forum Resident

10k at least maybe a bit more.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2014
  9. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

TONEPUB started a lively thread on average system cost back in 2006 that has lots of smart/illuminating discussion.

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/average-system-cost-thoughts.93514/

I'm hovering between $5K and $10K (based on MSRP) for the main system and I think it sounds fantastic. I'm fascinated by the cheapskate sport of getting as deeply into the audiophile bloom and beauty as I can while punching well above my weight price-wise, via buying used or hunting giant-killer deals.

One of these days I'd like to spend as much as I've spent in total so far just on a pair of great new speakers, and maybe I will when my $hip comes in. I'm also hankering to acquire a really good tube integrated amp. Until then, it's all about maintenance costs and incrementalism. I'm focused on putting money in the Piggy Bank to buy a replacement cartridge that's equal to my aging Ortofon — probably another Ortofon, most likely the 2M Black. The crazy relativity of hi-fi prices means that most of the people I know would be mildly horrified at the idea of spending $700 for a freaking record-player needle, while to a card-carrying High Ender this would likely be considered a compromise, mid-range solution that barely rises above an entry-level or budget designation.

I'd never go much beyond this spending level, no matter what kind of financial windfalls I enjoy, although I have no problem with anyone else going nuts and sinking multiple tens of thousand or more into hi-fi gear, and I enjoy eavesdropping on the hep jive of such creatures. For me the low five figures "budget" hi-fi realm is sufficient. Beyond that I'd rather devote disposable income to more creative or globe-trotting or philanthropic ventures. But I judge no one.

10. tyinkc

tyinkc Senior Member

I have two systems currently set up and running plus a fair amount of equipment in closets, not being used at the moment. I just recently took inventory for insurance purposes so this is fairly accurate:
    Main system - $13,917.00 (including rack, tweaks, etc)
    Total all systems plus odd equipment not currently in use- $26,761.00.

11. Tim 2

" going nuts " ? :shh:

On the contrary, I should think that anyone considering a 5 digit plus purchase would have done considerable research, listening tests and soul searching before making such a decision.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 28, 2014
  12. Thurenity

Thurenity Listening to some tunes

1k to 10k is a pretty big gap -- buy a 64GB iPod Touch and a pair of Beats headphones are you're over halfway to that 1k mark already.

Taking all components into account (stereo / speakers / CD / SACD player / TT / DAP / ADC / cans etc) I'm sure I'm way over 1k. But probably not even close to 10k yet.

Ash76, Trashman and Dr. Bogenbroom like this.
  13. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

Not all posh High Enders are Mr. Spock....

But I jest! "Going nuts" is a good thing in my book.

[​IMG]

gloomrider and Tim 2 like this.
  14. Tim 2

What do think o'l spock's hearing perception was like ? :magoo:

Stone Turntable likes this.
  15. CCrider92

CCrider92 Senior Member

I checked the $1000 to $10,000, but I'm well below the 10k mark.

16. Metralla

It comes as no surprise that we did this before. That was not a poll though. Perhaps 6 categories is a couple too few, and maybe 4 levels over $10k is too many and there is not enough granularity under $30k. I bet the $1k to $10k dominates.

17. ElizabethH

ElizabethH Forum Resident

My big $$ was when I retired and blew that entire money on new stereo stuff instead of a new car. All my friends were: "you are nuts" but for me the stereo made way more sense than a stupid car. (I use the stereo every day all day now, a car i use maybe a few hours a week) So with that I doubled the value of what i 'own' for a stereo, $$$ wise. (I bought a new car two years later on payments)
    When I get the car paid off I may refinance it to buy a pair of Magnepan 20.7 speakers. (easy to get $12K loan on a car. very hard to go to a bank and say i want some $15,000 speakers so loan me $12K please.. LOL)
    I am near $50,000 retail, the magnepan 20.7 (replacing 3.6s) would move that up to $60,000

Lownote30 and raferx like this.
  18. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

You might want to close this topic and start a new one, or else make more clear how to price one's system(s). Some qualifiers to consider (I probably haven't listed all pertinent ones but it's a start)

retail or actual cost?
    what to include? cables, power conditioners or similar, specific audio room treatments, multiple pieces of equipment (like cartridges)?
    separate votes for separate systems? Include video equipment in a HT setup price?

19. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

If we go original retail, mine is probably between $3000 - 5000. I bought several components used. The original retail for the B&W speakers are what boosts the price.

20. Tim 2

I think Geoff has already set the retail price as the way to go.
    Anything that improves the sound quality could be included.
    Lets leave the cost of are music library for another day, okay ?

21. ElizabethH

ElizabethH Forum Resident

I agree any discussion of 'cost' would be retail prices. The fact of buying used or at a discount could be mentioned, but in general the retail is what most folks would be discussing in total cost.

My sytem is expensive, retail. Half of it I bought used for less. Or got some sort of discount on, Does not matter.

22. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

At as new prices, mine clocks in at around £5,300. Actual spend was somewhat less, as items were either bought used, or in a sale.

23. nm_west

nm_west Forum Resident

That's still tough to answer. Some systems do better than others depending on what I'm listening to.

Metralla and RonW like this.
  24. gillcup

gillcup Senior Member

I've been buying my system in bits and pieces for quite a few years. It eventually adds up. It's close to $25k.

25. RonW

RonW Forum Resident

Same for me each of my systems seems to have a personality and purpose. My least expensive system has sound that is very important to me. But this thread seems to be all about money for some odd reason.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.