Poll - Do You Still Have Your First Speakers?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Gruni, Jan 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

No. It was an old Magnavox fold-up with detachable speakers.

2. Greg Carrier

Greg Carrier Senior Member

That was my SECOND set of speakers. Still have 'em. Replaced the surrounds on the woofers a couple years ago.

RonW likes this.
  3. RonW

RonW Forum Resident

So different from today's 301's. Very cool!

4. BrewDrinkRepeat

BrewDrinkRepeat Forum Resident

First speakers ever? No, long gone (in the trash) -- they were whatever came with my first stereo, a Sanyo AM/FM/cassette combo.

First purposefully-purchased speakers? Yes, and every speaker I've bought since then. I've always found ways to repurpose them in other systems.

5. Ortofun

Ortofun Well-Known Member

No, moved on and up.

6. Hobbit13

Hobbit13 New Member

The first few sets of speakers I had, were all leftovers, belonging to cheap mini-sets. Can't imagine that those 100 people that voted "yes", are serious. Because the speakers you get as a child, are crap most of the time.

Went trough a range of sort-of OK Philips speakers, before buying a worn down Kef 104, the drivers of that set are still in use. The second set of Kef 104 I bought, are now in my living room; refurbished them last summer. So, the Kef 104 really started my hifi-hobby.
    I used the Kefs for ca 4 years, then bought Tandberg Studio Monitor, used those for 6 years, and the last 2 years, I'm very satisfied with my B&W 802s80.

7. Eric Weinraub

Eric Weinraub Forum Resident

My first speakers were $300/pr Scott's. I blew them out without much effort at college. It would not be until the early 90s that I purchased good speakers (Infinity) which I not only still have but use on a daily basis.

8. Zep Fan

Zep Fan Sounds Better with Headphones on

Well, I don't have my first speakers, but my friend still has and uses his first speakers.

They were from Speakerlab. He bought them in the 70's.

They still sound fantastic.

9. robertk

robertk Forum Resident

Did the Klipsch thing. Heresy's. Did the trade up within a year thing and went to LaScala's within a year and Khorns a year after that. Had to drive about 200 miles each way to get them which made it a big commitment at the time.

10. 56GoldTop

56GoldTop Forum Resident

Yes. Actually, I'm using them right now.

EPI 100

Other speakers have come and gone; my latest gone within the past year. Yet, somehow, I can't bring myself to part with these. I've been looking for new main speakers for a long time, now. Regardless of whatever does finally come home to roost, the EPI's won't be going anywhere; maybe to another system but they won't be leaving the house.

kBear likes this.
  11. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

I had a lot of odd stuff for speakers early on as a kid, but my first real, bought as new, matched set of "quality" speakers were Realistic Minimus 2 speakers, a 6" and 2" in a quality sealed walnut veneer box. I got them about 1973.

In my very small room they sounded good.

These have nothing to do with the later very small Minimus speakers that folks raved about.

These were amazing for their size. I don't have my original speakers, but I do have 2 sets of them, an early alnico magnet set, and a later ceramic magnet set.

Honestly for a small box they sound very good, even in this day and age.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

avanti1960 likes this.
  12. Jack Flannery

Jack Flannery Forum Resident

My first was a B&O system, which was great for bedroom tunes. My second system was Luxman/DQ-10. DQ-10's are a bit of a pain but they threw out a fantastic image. Had a couple pair of them over the years. My brother still has a pair that are sitting around in boxes.

I had a pair of EPI Model 70's that I used in my VW Beetle (back seat down). Those old Beetle's had great acoustics. Those little things were a lot bigger than their size. I wonder how they would compare with modern small speakers, like the Denton's I'm listening to now.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2015
    kBear likes this.
  13. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

yep, Dahlquist DQM-5. I keep them set up in my office, they look and sound great.

[​IMG]

Not technically my first, I'm sure I had something by fisher price at some point. But this was the first attempt at putting together a serious effort. I must have been about 14 at the time. Lots of miles on these, how they survived all my college parties is a miracle.

14. rjp

rjp Senior Member

goo lord no, they would be 51 years old.

and i think they were from woolco!

15. jcmusic

jcmusic Forum Resident

Yes I do, I don't listen to them a lot but they are kinda unique that's why I keep them. Pioneer HPM 1500's...

16. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

I had to vote No but the % of Yes vote is still pretty impressive to me

17. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

Yep, still have and use them regularly. I couldn't afford a "real" stereo (used boom boxes before that, including a CD enabled one I got for Christmas in 1985!) until I graduated from college and go my first "real" job. I bought a pair of Celstion 3s with metal speaker stands from Audio Connection in Verona, NJ, about two miles down the same street from my apartment. $300 for a pair of speakers was a lot of money for me back in 1991.

[​IMG]

18. chodad

chodad Hodad

No, but I'm sure I have somebody's first speakers.

19. awizard

awizard Forum Resident

Realistic Minimus 2s set up in my bedroom. They still work in my nephews stereo system. Not exactly audiophile but a relatively big sound from some very small but weighty bookshelves.

20. SixtiesGuy

SixtiesGuy Ministry of Love

Criterion 50B's from Lafayette Radio, circa 1969. Not expensive but not particularly good, either. I think my brother has them, somewhere.

21. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

I got rid of 'my own' 1st speakers back in 1966?

Bought them from Sears with a TT in '64 to listen to my first personal LP: "Meet the Beatles" :agree:

I was rockin'!

:bdance:

Last edited: Apr 17, 2015
  22. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Sold them in 92. Used them for over a decade non-stop.

23. russk

russk Forum Resident

Vandersteen 1b. Ended up owning a pair of 1c about 15 years later. Those are currently on their way out replaced by........Klipsch Heresy lol. That are in the process of being replaced by either a pair of Klipsch Chorus 2, Forte 2 or some vintage JBL or possibly some Altec 604. Picking a good all rounder is a pain in the butt

24. I still use my AR3a speakers that I bought in 1973. The tweeters are shot so I use them as subwoofers. They produce the best sounding tight bass. No boomy bass at all.

25. utahusker

utahusker Senior Member

The AR3a were my first also, but I can't remember what happened to them. I've had many speakers in my day, but I've never gotten a sentimental attachment to any. It must be a character flaw:).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.