Poll - Do You Still Have Your First Speakers?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Gruni, Jan 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

Boston Acoustics' A70s. For a dorm room they were great and just - barely - small enough to put on large bookshelves.

2. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

I still have the first pair of speakers that I bought with money I earned. Advent Prodigy. I refoamed them and then realized tha the voice coils were shot so that was a lot of wasted effort. (I know I could have checked it first). They sit in my garage. Anyone want them?

3. aoxomoxoa

Those are my current speakers. I adore them!

Robin L likes this.
  4. blind_melon1

blind_melon1 An erotic adventurer of the most deranged kind....

Mine were Sony SS-G3's, they sounded pretty good. Until the crossover failed in one channel (only the woofer worked), I replaced the speakers in my system, but still used them as bedside tables until I bought my first house. I gave them to a friend who used them in his workshop as I didn't want to take them to my new place.

5. Sabciu

Sabciu Member

Not my absolute first, but I consider my KEF 103.2's the first Real Quality speakers I owned and yes I still have them and they still sound AMAZING to me every time I listen to them :pineapple:

6. dividebytube

dividebytube Forum Resident

Infinity RS-4B tower speakers with the Emit tweeter. Didn't mate very well with a Dynaco 70 - my first amplifier. A big brawny SS amp would have been better. Sold them to a guy with some crappy Sony receiver and I thought they sounded better with his system than mine!

7. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

I saved my first pair of speakers in storage for 40 years- recently disposed of them. Decided they no longer have any sentimental value to me.

Lafayette Criterion 2002+

8. FJC1966

FJC1966 The Prestonian

Yes, a pair of Mission 751 Bookshelf speakers.....still going strong as part of a 6.1 AV surround system....

Pancat likes this.
  9. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

i still have the first speakers i bought after i had my first real job and that i actually auditioned first- some polk bookshelf monitors, mid 80s. they are on the tv / second system and sound pleasant but too warm and not enough midrange detail. my taste in sound quality has changed.

10. sportzdad

sportzdad Well-Known Member

No. When I was a child I had a set of zenith allegro. The first pair I bought was a massive pair of cervin Vega at15, I believe they were called.

11. Colin M

Colin M Forum Resident

God no!

12. Aardvark23

Aardvark23 Forum Resident

JBL Decade 10's .
    Long gone to places unknown.....

13. I have the AR3a speakers and they require an amp with gobs of power. Be careful not to overdrive the amp into clipping. Once the amp clips the tweeters in the AR3 speakers will immediately blow. I replaced the tweeters at least four times. Those speakers produce the best sounding bass for music, IMHO. Nice and tight, with no boom.

14. aoxomoxoa

Yeah my SX1010 has some balls. No problems there. Plus my days of blowing the roof off are long gone. I listen at a moderate level. Mine are AR3a's also.

15. Cubdriver

Cubdriver Senior Member

Yep - nothing too spectacular; a pair of Minimus 10s purchased new at Rat Shack in 1977/78 when I was about 12. Still have 'em, still occasionally fire them up. They're presently in a room that under renovation, I lister to them when working in there.

-Pat

16. 3ringcircus

3ringcircus Forum Resident

Mine were (4) AR-2AX, that were used with an early 4-channel receiver (JVC 4VR-5414). I've kept it all, partly for nostalgic reasons, but also as a backup if I need another system.

17. dbz

dbz Bolinhead.

Wharfedale Shelton

18. My first "Good" speakers were, Rectilinear Two Way bookshelf speakers. They were purchased in 1972, in what use to be West Germany. They were destroyed in a flood.

19. PiratesFan

PiratesFan Forum Resident

The first speakers that I bought were Genesis 210's. I gave them to a friend before I moved from Kentucky almost 20 years ago. I don't know if he still has them, but I have a feeling he still does.

20. Artdob

Artdob Forum Resident

Yes - still have my JBL L100s. Orange grills disentegrated 2 decades ago, but the speakers still rock.

On a related note, what is common for older speaker maintenance/upkeep and any rules of thumb to know when such fixes should be done ( e.g., refoaming, etc)?

21. bartkess

bartkess New Member

Still have sansui sp-3500 from 1972 in mint condition.

22. Jay_S

Jay_S Well-Known Member

Yes, why am I still holding on to the old Dynaco A-25s in the shed?

23. Mike34260

Mike34260 Forum Resident

Still have my first pair of Insignia NS-B2111 bookshelfs I got from Best Buy in 2007. Got them when I was only 13 and it opened up a whole new audio world for me. They still sound great and the imaging is hard to beat for the price! :)

24. pscreed

pscreed Upstanding Member

Actually I do but they haven't been in service for a long time. Just can't bear to get rid of them :)

They are kit speakers from a company that was around in Columbus, OH in the 1980's called "The Speaker Company". They sold these kits where you got their mini-monitor sized mdf cabinet, crossover board, terminal plate, gaskets, hardware, glue, etc and KEF drivers and woofers. Took about 45 minutes to put the pair together. Got a lot of bang out of those bucks.

Good times :)

25. Gramps Tom

Gramps Tom Forum Resident

I still own my original EPI 50 and 100 models from 1973 that are real walnut veneer and the 100's have the tweeter level control. The logo on the front is the 'round' logo. The 50's are still totally original, but rebuilt the 8" woofers & voice coils on the 100's.

http://www.humanspeakers.com/e/epi50.htm
    http://www.humanspeakers.com/e/epi100.htm
    http://www.humanspeakers.com/e/epi150.htm

I am spinnin' Pete Townshend's Let My Love Open the Door as I post this message through the 100's powered by my Marantz 2265b.

I also have my parents' 50's and 150's from the same vintage.

All the best,
    GT

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.