[Poll] Entry-level Turntables: Is There Really Such a Thing as a Good sub-$500 TT?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Cyclone Ranger, May 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I have a lot tied up in my rig. But I sure didn't start there. Maybe it depends on where someone is when they read the question. I have loved vinyl since I was around 7. I'm 55 now. I had the same kind of turntable most of you probably had when you were a kid. A GE Wildcat all in one. I got another one a few years later. And then my dad got me a Sansui receiver and a BSR turntable when I was around 14. All crap, but it still was good enough to keep me going on with the hobby. There was "something" good enough about it! I can tell you that at 7, I would have said yes, you can get one for under $500. At 14 I would have said the same thing. Would I say that now? Since the op says the budget doesn't have to include the cart, I would say yes you can. Remember, the Technics MK1200's were under that despite what they sell for used now. Some don't think it's a great table, but it's what I've used for a very long time until I just ordered a VPI Scout. And I think the Technics sounded just peachy. My point being, if there was ever a subjective forum topic, this is it! It really is up to the person who is buying it, and what they expect. Unfortunately, based on how well Crosley and other sub par turntable mfg are doing, I subscribe that the vast majority of folks could almost care less about how it's going to sound. They don't even know what good sound is. Only one of my three kids can tell; my wife can't tell at all when I try to have her compare. The op did a terrific job explaining his parameters, however, so based on that I would still say yes.

2. SpeedMorris

SpeedMorris Forum Resident

I have one that was $319 when purchased new in '98-99, with a cart that was $110 in '99-00. Got another one very similar last year which did retail at $450 until a year or so ago and now sells for $299 (mine was a customer return for a winning eBay bid of $242.50).

Both produce LP sound which has been undefeated against CDs of the same albums. Sometimes the results would be characterized as "trouncing" and sometimes it's closer. Sometimes it's a draw, with one having some advantages and one having other advantages (Come Together on Love vs 44-year old album track-bring on a newly remastered 2019 Abbey Road!). Lots of variables, of course.

Got one for son that retailed for $400 (I got a demo blem for $270) that sounds more subjectively like CD (I assume it's the red colored cart). But it is quiet and the cart is really solid when it comes to surface noise, tracking. I presume a cart switch would produce more "analog" sound for me, but many might prefer the sound it produces now.

None of these tables/carts fail to plow through any of my rekkids in terms of skips or repeats, other than 2-3 known tracks on 40+ year old albums where even a quarter on the arm wouldn't do the trick back in the day. Recently, I dug out some ol' Jan & Dean, DC 5, etc played on "record players" in the 60s and cleaned 'em, and, aside from the effects of serious abuse, they played without a hitch.

I totally get that there are much higher levels, just as there are with better speakers and amps. That's cool. But if you come to my house and tell me I'm not getting some really nice sound from my humble systems, I'll feel sorry for you and not me.

As my sister-in-law once asked, "Where are you hiding your other speakers?" "Uh, they're right there where you see them."
    "But you have others some hidden up on the wall or some place, don't you? Just two speakers can't be doing that."

Last edited: May 28, 2017
    Kristofa likes this.
  3. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

Again, a good table plays quietly/speed consistent and accepts 1/2" mount carts. This can be met at the OP's price point.
    BTW, I'm speaking real life standards - not SH forum standards....:D

SandAndGlass and Gramps Tom like this.
  4. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

Are you listening, Technics?*

* Owner of a Technics SL-BD-20, a belt-drive turntable using the P-mount cartridge system, that makes a great entry-level turntable.

PhilBiker, Slick Willie and Jking3002 like this.
  5. libertycaps

libertycaps Forum Resident

Loads and loads of "Good" vintage Japanese DD TTs that can be had for under $500. I still can't see any reason to invest more than that in any one TT, give or take a few hundred. The most i've paid or ever will pay for a TT is $700.
    My Yammie YP-D8. It's a looker and it's "Audiophile quality" thru and thru.

timind and patient_ot like this.
  6. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Speed must be stable always, turntable must be acceptably well built, reliable, and perform to high standard. Must be low maintenance, easily maintainable. Must have a 9" or longer tonearm, must accept SME mount headshells, must handle a wide variety of cartridges easily, must not add or subtract nothing. Must not need the same amount of money in this or that upgrades to perform well. Must meet or exceed all NAB performance limits except for platter start up time. Must be well isolated against foot traffic without the need for a wall shelf. The AR XA met most of these criteria in 1973 for under $100. It still performs well in good order today. No trick power supply needed or heavy tweaking either. I want to listen to fine music, not to the turntable. I require held solo acoustic guitar and piano chords be accurate sounding to put it in simple terms, no micro wavering, no flutter. The AR did that without issue. I want to see something belt driven new for $500-$1000 which does everything the AR did so well without vice.

7. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Technics today is a higher end marque like it was early on in Japan. Not as focused on all ends of the price spectrum. P-Mount regrettably is a system no longer in production on the hardware side, save for a limited few cartridges still available. The earlier poster's want for more tracking force range in T4p mount as part of the standard, I agree with heavily. Would have made the system still plug and play mainly, and easier to make cartridges for. Would have helped it's sustainability in the long haul.

Jking3002 and patient_ot like this.
  8. Slick Willie

QUOTE="soundboy, post: 16539940, member: 1902"]Are you listening, Technics?*

* Owner of a Technics SL-BD-20, a belt-drive turntable using the P-mount cartridge system, that makes a great entry-level turntable.[/QUOTE]

Currently my garage table... a Technics DD SLQ-350. Also have a linear table.....SL1o IIRC.
    [​IMG]

PhilBiker and McLover like this.
  9. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

Currently my garage table... a Technics DD SLQ-350. Also have a linear table.....SL1o IIRC.
    [​IMG][/QUOTE]
    hey i've got one of those ! basically new and I want to sell it but can't seem to get around to it. great sounding table, slapped a grado gold and it is freakishly good!

[​IMG]

SandAndGlass and Slick Willie like this.
  10. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Only here would people deem something like the AT LP 120 with a decent cart below the ranking of at least "good."

11. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

Often cited as needing to bypass the built-in pre-amp to sound good. From my perspective if you have to mess about in that way it's a non-starter.

I do occasionally check out threads with the common suspects for <$500 turntables, and they often note various flaws of one sort or another.

To date I have stuck with my early 80's Technics (slightly early vintage than the ones pictured above).

12. McLover

McLover Senior Member

I like the AT LP 120 for the most part. Wish the tonearm bearings were a bit more precision, the anti-skate was consistent, and a bit better QC. The core design is good, and I'd love to see an armless version available as a option.

13. H8SLKC

H8SLKC Forum Resident

How did this thread turn into one about vintage tables? Many buyers out there have no interest in vintage, nor are good vintage options readily available in some locales out there, at least not easily and at good prices. I've scoured craigslist in my area many times and the used turntables are either beat-up junk, or sellers are asking a mint for them. I think some here, who are deeply into the hobby, don't realize that for many new to the hobby, they may buy a new inexpensive machine to try out the hobby, but they would simply not even try the hobby before venturing into the risk-laden world of used machines.

willboy, troggy, timind and 3 others like this.
  14. Slick Willie

This place be all like cray/cray and stuff!

H8SLKC likes this.
  15. Slick Willie

Cool...'cause old stuff has no issues....and stuff!

H8SLKC likes this.
  16. Slick Willie

Well because it's the SH forum. Where you expecting rhyme/reason/logic?
    Silly you!!!:tsk:

H8SLKC likes this.
  17. Slick Willie

:righton: Big fan of armless tables here as well.....dang things keep gettin' in the way!:rant:

H8SLKC likes this.
  18. Cyclone Ranger

Cyclone Ranger New old stock Thread Starter

"Up in arms? We're not! Coming soon from Pro-Ject... the Venus de Milo turntable!! 'Cuz we just don't have enough models already."

:wtf:

Slick Willie, H8SLKC and Gumboo like this.
  19. libertycaps

libertycaps Forum Resident

Count me out of this club. I would not let a Technics in my house.

Gumboo likes this.
  20. jlykos

jlykos Forum Resident

Of course you can get a good turntable for under $500, you just have to temper your expectations and maybe put on a new cartridge (which I find to be the weak link in most off the shelf new turntables). I have a Rega RP1 with the Performance Pack in my bedroom system and it's great for what I ask it to do. My co-worker has an AT LP-120 in his main system and that's excellent as well. Do either of them approach the performance of my Well Tempered Amadeus in my main system? No, but I would not expect them to do so.

H8SLKC likes this.
  21. Stan94

Stan94 Senior Member

I had a Debut Carbon with a 2M Red that I sold because I couldn't be bothered to get up and stop the machine myself. Also the anti-skating counterweight is a PITA. Then I bought a Denon DP-300F but I also sold it. The Denon is a good TT: easy to operate and makes a decent sound.

H8SLKC likes this.
  22. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

Never work, cartridges are subjective sounding big time, the bulk of folks would not want to be tied to one and only one cartridge. So, what if that cartridge goes out of production? BAD IDEA.

23. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

I've been using an Empire 698 for 40+ years. It still is a very good overall turntable/arm even today. I've got friends with 10X the money in their tables and the law of diminishing return kicks in pretty fast. I've heard them and I've got no desire to get something else. My experience and comparing friends mega bucks tables has proven to me a well sorted 698 with a well adjusted Shure Ultra 500 extracts most all of what any vinyl honestly has to offer. If there is more to be extracted, it is so minuscule it's not worth the cost. YMMV.

McLover likes this.
  24. Cyclone Ranger

I admire your courage and frankness.

But if you hear a knock, don't open the door. This is what's now assembling in front of your house... :wtf:

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 29, 2017
    SandAndGlass and avanti1960 like this.
  25. Cyclone Ranger

You're not wrong... :)

Slick Willie and H8SLKC like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.