[Poll] Favorite Dire Straits Album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ViNyLBLADERUNNER, Feb 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Be yourself or don't bother. Anti-fascism.

Making Movies, no contest for me.

2. duggan

duggan Senior Member

1. Love over Gold
    2. Makin' Movies
    3. S/T
    4. = Communique and On Every Street
    ... And a long way below
    • BIA

3. Almost Simon

Almost Simon Forum Resident

1. Communique
    2. Dire Straits
    3. Love Over Gold

They're always been my top three, the others are still very good but Communique always edges it for me. A perfect listen on a summers day.

4. Raider4life

Raider4life Forum Resident

For me it's the S/T, but the others are very close. One of my all time favorite bands.

5. David Ellis

David Ellis Forum Resident

Agreed although I prefer Communique to the ST.

6. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Live At The BBC. The only one I own.

7. jimbags

jimbags Forum Resident

Making Movies closely followed by the debut, the others aren't at the same level

8. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

The debut.

Great songs. Superb musicianship honed playing the live pub and club circuit in London. Fantastic studio sound replicated on the vinyl. Ironically since Brothers was the poster album for CD, that 35 or so years on, the debut in its original (and remastered) form, remains one of the best ever sounding vinyl albums. Remarkable for a new band and debut album

Proof that despite the charms of a number of punk and new wave bands at the time (and I guess disco too), and their industry dominance, that there was room for other genres too. Class will out.....

They would have bigger albums and start filling stadia, but IMO they never topped cuts like Sultans of Swing.

I saw Straits at various stages of their career, including when they recorded Alchemy live in London, but my favourite remains a gig with Elvis Costello at a west London pub when they were playing songs that would shape the debut and Elvis his debut My Aim is True (his best too IMO). So I'm biased for personal reasons, I guess.

To think that 1978 spawned the likes of the first Dire Straits, kraftwerk's Man Machine, Blondie's Parallel Lines, Costello's This Years Model, The Jam's All Mod Cons, Springsteen's Darkness On the Edge of Town, Funkadelic 's One Nation Under a Groove, Thin Lizzy's Live and Dangerous, Van Halen, The Cars, Marvin Gaye's Here My Dear, Eno's Music for Airports, Willie Nelson's Stardust, and Chic's C'est Chic. Such richness and diversity, and artists close to the top of their game. Dire Straits deserve to be accoladed in such company.

Andrew Russe and bagofsoup like this.
  9. bagofsoup

bagofsoup Forum Resident

The debut. I just love the sound from beginning to end. One of my favorite start-to-finish albums of all time.

I think Making Movies would be next, closely followed by Brothers in Arms.

Surprised to see Brothers in Arms trending behind Love Over Gold! I figured it would be in one of the top two slots!

10. bagofsoup

bagofsoup Forum Resident

What a great body of work! Not a bad album in the bunch!

11. Alan King

Alan King Forum Resident

The debut is the only one I can listen to

12. Andrew Russe

Andrew Russe Forum Resident

The first one is my favourite. Fond of the others, too (not so much Brothers in Arms), but when I reach for Dire Straits I always reach for the first one... (I do tend to keep going until the end of Love Over Gold, mind you :D).

To me, those first four albums are a stunning body of work from a band that could reproduce it all live. Btw, I do consider Brothers in Arms something of a masterpiece, possibly the pinnacle, it's just not really my cup of tea.

13. jeffd7030

jeffd7030 I can't complain, but sometimes I still do.

I go for "Dires Straits" followed very closely by "Making Movies".

TS582 likes this.
  14. Levee

Levee Active Member

The last two

15. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

I thought at the time they could never beat Making Movies. But Brothers in Arms blew me away. Not only did I never tire of the singles (well, maybe Money $ Nothing) but the deep cuts just kept rewarding me the more I played them. Your Latest Trick isn't great, but it was their Hotel California. Just damn near perfect. Such variation and it showed his maturing as a lyricist, his best lyrics up to that point, IMO.

16. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

I like them all but the debut and Love Over Gold are extra special to me.

17. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Forum Resident

For years and years, it was LOG. Then about 10 years ago something happened... I just couldn't abide Knopfler's bombastic tendencies any longer. For example, I cannot bear to listen to Telegraph Road. About this time, S/T and MM became my faves.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2015
  18. EProphet

EProphet Forum Resident

Today I chose Making Movies.
    The first four albums with Pick Withers are all good.
    After he left, I lost interest.

I really don't like the "I want my MTV" song, Heavy heavy fuel, and Calling Elvis songs. Lame-ola.
    MK/DS jumped the shark after Pick Withers left.

Atmospheric likes this.
  19. Joni H

Joni H Member

Brothers in arms and Love over gold are the best ones for me. A lot of personal reasons and memories. The latter one was a great "boost" and encouragement for me at a time when I was hospitalized for about six weeks. Oh my, the power of music! I might not even be here if it wasn't for all the great music.

mike catucci likes this.
  20. Joey_Corleone

Joey_Corleone Forum Resident

If there ever comes a day when I cannot bear to listen to Telegraph Road, I wish to be put out of my misery

mike catucci and detroit muscle like this.
  21. detroit muscle

detroit muscle MIA

I was one of the few who picked Alchemy. As good as the studio albums are, my favorite 2 Dire Straits songs are Tunnel Of Love and Telegraph Road and the live versions on Alchemy are transcendental. I remember an interview where Mark Knopfler said that during Telegraph Road there were nights where the band just 'levitated' and this was one of those nights.

22. Joey_Corleone

Joey_Corleone Forum Resident

Add the extended ending of Sultans of Swing as well, holy smokes!

mike catucci and bagofsoup like this.
  23. Alan1074

Alan1074 Forum Resident

Love Over Gold for me. Lovely artwork, and great for unwinding to on dark nights with a drink.

24. bagofsoup

bagofsoup Forum Resident

That is a favorite!

25. bagofsoup

bagofsoup Forum Resident

Listening to Love Over Gold now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.