POLL: Favorite Hall & Oates Top 10 hit

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SITKOL'76, Jul 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I picked: She's Gone, I Can't Go for That, and One on One.
    Favorite non big hit: Las Vegas Turn Around.

2. Wingsfan2012

Wingsfan2012 Forum Resident

Original version of "She's Gone" from "Abandoned Lunchenette" is easily better than the later single edit.............

How "Did It In A Minute" and "Family Man" were not on the original "Rock and Soul" release was a joke!

George P likes this.
  3. egebamyasi

egebamyasi Forum Resident

The first three but Rich Girl is the one.

4. daveidmarx

daveidmarx Forem Residunt

One of my favorites of all time. I have been recently re-listening to their back catalog (along with Daryl's solo album 'Sacred Songs', which is probably in my top-ten favorite albums of all time). So many great songs. Great hits, sure, but really good album tracks make their catalog really hold up. Only three choices? This was a tough one, but in the end I went with:

Out Of Touch
    I Can't Go For That (No Can Do)
    Say It Isn't So

Had 'Wait For Me' hit the top-ten, it would be one of my choices for sure!!

P.S. BTW, it's "You Make My Dreams", and not "You Make My Dreams Come True". I see this mistake being made constantly, and while it's understandable, it's still incorrect!! ;)

SITKOL'76 likes this.
  5. gabacabriel

gabacabriel Forum Resident

Private Eyes (this is the song that broke them in the UK)
    One on One (gorgeous ballad with a real atmosphere)
    Out of Touch (the Video Mix is one of my favourite 12" mixes by anyone ever)

Honorable mention:- Sara Smile (would have voted for this - one of their very best - but I was 10 when it came out so I only discovered it later....)

6. daveidmarx

daveidmarx Forem Residunt

Well, it got me to pick up H2O and Private Eyes as a 14-year old in 1984! They knew what they were doing by leaving those songs off! :agree:

7. moople72

moople72 Forum Resident

They're all pretty damn fine......even lesser stuff like Adult Education, Did It In A Minute or Family Man (probably my favorites back then).

I Can't Go For That is their masterpiece.
    An inevitable no. 1 only in retrospect.....meaning it was a bold, balsy choice for a single.....like Prince's When Doves Cry....and massively successful.

8. Jeff Minn

Jeff Minn Senior Member

Say It Isn't So
    She's Gone
    Out of Touch

9. CMG

CMG Member

It's hard to choose, I enjoy pretty much all of them. If I were to go "best" I could probably go I Can't Go For That or She's Gone, but "favorite" - -- I've always loved "Adult Education." Probably my most-played of my Hall & Oates 45s back in the day.

George P likes this.
  10. George P

George P Notable Member

Alone Too Long was not a hit, but it is great! It was somewhat recently used as the theme song for the excellent show Hey Ladies.

11. Black Thumb

Black Thumb Yah Mo B There

Sara, No Can Do & M-e-t-h-o-d.

12. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

For the purposes of the voting, I went with "Rich Girl," "Kiss On My List" and "Family Man." I have a mono/stereo promo of the original 1973 45 of "She's Gone" (the edited version of which I've come to prefer to the long one), and I'm also partial towards "Sara Smile," "You Make My Dreams," "Private Eyes," "I Can't Go For That," "Maneater," "Say It Isn't So" and "Out Of Touch." "One On One," it seemed like a drawn-out reworking of the theme in Mel & Tim's far more to-the-point "Backfield In Motion."

Of those that missed the Top 10, honorable mention goes to "It's A Laugh" from 1978 - whose arrangement seemed to anticipate those of "Kiss On My List" and "Private Eyes."

I also prefer their "Family Man" - though one person I know swears by the original by Mike Oldfield of "Tubular Bells" fame.

13. Black Thumb

Black Thumb Yah Mo B There

Amen. Losing that slow build-up totally kills the effect of the song.

Wingsfan2012 likes this.
  14. SITKOL'76

SITKOL'76 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Say It Isn't So would've been a 7th #1 hit for them but was stuck at #2 for 4 weeks behind Paul McCartney and Michael Jackson's 'Say Say Say'.

15. paradox55

paradox55 Forum Resident

What a body of work they have!
    You Make My Dreams Come True
    Say it Isn't So
    Out of Touch

16. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

[​IMG]

17. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

If I could only pick 1, it would've been "Did It In a Minute".

2nd and 3rd picks: "Kiss" and "Dreams"!

18. Nipper

Nipper His Master's Voice

Even though it fell short of the Top Ten, I've always loved their cover of "You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin'".

Voices
    is a curious album in that it features a cover of a #1 song, an original #1 song ("Kiss On My List"), and an original song that would become a #1 hit when covered by someone else ("Everytime You Go Away" by Paul Young). Is there another album like that?

Surly likes this.
  19. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

I did not know that. Say it isn't so!

20. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

You Make My Dreamd Come True.

Might be different tomorrow.

George P likes this.
  21. Scott S.

Scott S. lead singer for the best indie band on earth

I only like 3 Hall and Oates songs. To be honest I thought a lot of their hits were garbage. Sara Smile is the best, Rich Girl was catchy. and one that didn't make the top 10 I like a lot also. Do What You Want Be Who You Are or whatever that was called.

22. SITKOL'76

SITKOL'76 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Say Say Say it isn't So So So ;)

tonyc and George P like this.
  23. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

Since there I could pick only 3 I decided to pick from H&O 80s hits.

Kiss On My List
    I Can't Go For That (No Can Do)
    One On One

Darryl

24. Bruce M.

Bruce M. Forum Resident

Hall and Oates was one of those acts that always made me change the station to something -- anything -- else as fast as I could.

25. Brian Lux

Brian Lux One in the Crowd

Not a huge Hall and Oates fan but I sure do like the number Daryl Hall did on Robert Fripp's album Exposure called "North Star".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.