Poll: Favourite Song on ‘A Saucerful of Secrets’?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by A Saucerful of Scarlets, Mar 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

I remember discovering this CD in my voyage to hear pre 73 floyd. Was a young teen maybe 1990.. blown away by it never heard anything like it. First 2 tracks are still amazing and the rest is great but those first 2 !

Would love live versions of these songs I think we should put a bug in claypools ear ..

2. A Saucerful of Scarlets

A Saucerful of Scarlets Commenter Turned Viewer Thread Starter

The Pompeii versions of Saucerful and Set the Controls are must listens. I listened to the album for a year when discovering them thinking the Pompeii version was the normal album version since I used to rip the tracks off of YouTube. Now I'm not sure which I like better.

Crimson Witch likes this.
  3. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

I have the Pompeii DVD still :) there's an unofficial doc I saw that had snippets of the first 2 tracks live with video of DG on stage not sure if it was spliced together but it sounded amazing. I wonder if there's any good boots with them.

4. A Saucerful of Scarlets

Don't know about bootlegs but the 2016 remixed Pompeii's on the Early Years, 1972 Obfusc/ation sounds phenomenal.

Crimson Witch and Opeth like this.
  5. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

Set The Controls

Actually did a song by song for this record, I definitely like this record.

6. A Saucerful of Scarlets

A song by song?

Crimson Witch and Zoot Marimba like this.
  7. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

Yes. Basically, you go Track by Track in discussing an album.

8. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

Absolutely classic album and I cannot vote. Years ago I mentioned here that the first three tracks are perhaps the best, eeriest set of psychedelic tunes ever recorded. I might vote Let There Be More Light, but ... but...Remember A Day...and then Set The Controls For The Heart Of The Sun...

Does anyone have the back story to this part of lyric:

Then at last the mighty ship
    Descending on a point of flame
    Made contact with the human race at Mildenhall

I remember -- I think I remember -- reading that there was a military base at Mildenhall where there was a spate of UFO sightings, that's why "servicemen" are mentioned later in the lyric.

9. gazeman1977

gazeman1977 Active Member

I think that A Saucerful of Secrets is a good, but flawed album that is a disappointment, in comparison to The Piper at the Gates of Dawn. However, "Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun" is an excellent song.

10. Flippikat

Flippikat Forum Resident

My vote is for Let There Be More Light.

Great intro, good 'soft, then loud, then soft again' dynamics, cool song idea about first contact with aliens, and a cracking good BBC sessions version as well.

It really is one of those 'dark horse' albums in their back-catalogue that gets under-rated or overlooked, like Atom Heart Mother or Animals.

If it had Paintbox, Scream Thy Last Scream and Vegetable Man in the tracklist (even if it was at the expense of the title track), Saucerful would've been a great dark-psychedelia counterpart to Piper at the Gates of Dawn.

11. Flippikat

Flippikat Forum Resident

The songs from those sessions that were left OFF the album (released as singles, or kept in the vault) could've really added something.. I've long been an advocate for a deluxe Saucerful that sheds more light on that murky part of Pink Floyd's history.

The Early Years box set is as notable for what it DOESN'T have, as much as what it DOES have... but that's drifting this thread elsewhere.

12. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

Love this album to pieces. Voted for "Remember a Day" but it was tough. The live take of the title track from Ummagumma is one of their best performances, but that's on Ummagumma.

Unrelated, but "Let There Be More Light" on the recent Bernie Grundman LP remaster sounds unbelievably good. It sounds so visceral, so resonant. Possibly the most "real" thing I've ever heard. The rest of the LP, while good, sounds nowhere near that, and none of the other albums that I've heard have moments like that. It's like floating in space, except a space where you can hear, and what you can hear is transformative. In short, buy it.

13. rjp

rjp Senior Member

blatant honesty here: after 'set the controls" not a very good album at all.

but i find syd barrett to be for all intents and purposes, unlistenable, ever.

14. Crimson jon

Crimson jon Forum Resident

Remember a day is favorite from the album and top ten Floyd track for me.

Corporal clegg is awesome as is see saw.

Rooster_Ties and Crimson Witch like this.
  15. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Remember a Day. I also love See-Saw.

16. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

A lower tier Floyd album but the opener is a gem and the next 2 are pretty good

andrewskyDE likes this.
  17. Mr Sam

Mr Sam "...don't look so good no more"

See-Saw

then
    Controls + Corporal Clegg + Jugband Blues

then
    Remember A Day

18. Somerset Scholar

Somerset Scholar Ace of Spades

This album delighted my musical imagination as a kid. Especially as I loved reading sci-fi from writers like John Wyndham and Ray Bradbury. So for me it has to be STCFTHOFS. Spooky, hypnotic and mysteriously surreal. I want to be on that trip.

19. Frozensoda

Frozensoda Forum Resident

Saucerfull of Secrets for the win!

20. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

Tough call for me between "Set The Controls.." and "Let There Be More Light". I really like the latter, sets a great a tone for the rest of the record, and caught my attention right away. I went with "Light".

21. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

set the controls for me. not my favourite floyd album

22. Oliver

Oliver Bourbon Infused

Great album-my favorite song is "Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun". I think I heard it first on the Pompeii movie and was like WTF. That was my exposure to that earlier era Floyd compared to only familiar albums like DSOTM, The Wall and WYWH.
    Later became a HUGE fan of pre-Dark Side Floyd.

23. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Can't choose one, love them all!

Crimson Witch and andrewskyDE like this.
  24. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

"Jugband Blues" wins by default, because I've never bothered to play the rest of the album.

25. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly 1964-73 rock's best decade

Jugband Blues is an easy choice for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.