Poll:Genesis-Lamb Lies Down on Broadway-What do you think is the best CD mastering?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Slipperman87, May 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PROG U.K.

PROG U.K. Audiophile-Anglophile

I still love this album no matter which mastering. An underrated classic IMHO. I acquired the elusive SACD/NTSC box after selling my DE version. I was struck by the clarity and separation of the instruments and vocals on the SACD stereo layer.

Truth be told, the vinyl is definitive.

2. Slipperman87

Slipperman87 Active Member Thread Starter

what would be the legal hurdles with remastering the Lamb on Audio Fidelity?
    I still feel that the original mix will be remastered one day in some shape or form.

Listening to Disc 2 of the Lamb, Lilywhite Lilith sounds fine to my ears. It is the Chamber of 52 Doors that sounds overly bright to my ears.

Why did all these record labels perform Level-Shifts to some of these masterings.

The biggest question is this: WHY ARE THERE SO MANY DIFFERENT ORIGINAL MASTERINGS FOR MOST ALL OF THE GENESIS CDS!!!:help:

3. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Because otherwise this would be an all-Beatles forum? :D

4. Slipperman87

Slipperman87 Active Member Thread Starter

early evenin' bump

5. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Just picked up a near mint Porky, Large Mad Hatter. It smokes all of the Cd pressings I have heard. :agree:

6. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Got the pic disc boxset on DADC and it's a fine work. The new remix brings out a lot of other details, but like a lot of that set, although it's better than the original in terms of clarity, it suffers from a rather "flat" presentation and I think this is down to a missing dynamism that is there in the original CD.

Must admit, the DE isn't too bad to these ears. Doesn't sound particularly 'dead' but I enjoy the DADC mostly I think.

7. Rose River Bear

Can that box set still be had? I usually do not listen to the remixes any more. I have kinda soured on them. :cheers:

8. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

As for the French double album sets, then they come up occasionally on Ebay, but not too often. I managed to snag both of mine for good prices and doubt I'll be shifting them on in a hurry! There are later editions, with the DEs and they come in blue slipcases boxes, the non-remastered ones are a yellow/cream background.

9. Rose River Bear

If you ever want to unload the picture discs, I'm your man!:cheers:

10. Jeff Carney

Jeff Carney Fan Of Specifics (No Koolaid)

It's too bad disc 2 of the original set is so much brighter than disc 1. Sounds like they didn't have as good a source tape to me. These days I am kind of into my German Charisma vinyl for this album, but I do think the original CD set was quite good. Especially disc 1. When they crash into "Fly On a Windshield," that must be one of the most intense moments in rock history, afaic. The dynamics are off the charts.

Yeah, the DE was EQd a bit which makes up for the no-noise. I don't think it's bad either. No compression and it's nice and dynamic. IMO, it mainly suffers in the really quiet sections. If you A/B one of the soft parts where Hackett is just playing chords against the original V/C (Atco), the lack of open, warm sound is really apparent to my ears.

11. bholz

bholz Forum Resident

I just received the SACD of this album. I really like the 5.1 mix. I have not had an opportunity to listen to the hi-res stereo version yet (or compare it to my 1st press vinyl), as I bought this mainly for the 5.1 mix.

12. Rose River Bear

I just bought UK Nimbus pressings of Nursery Cryme thru The Lamb. I am anxious to hear them because threads here have said they are a little brighter than the other UK pressings. A little brighter will be OK by me.:cheers:

13. Sander

Sander Senior Member

Another vote for the original mastering (Virgin, mastered by Nimbus). I bought a few of the 2008 Genesis remixes and the remixes aren't my cup of tea :shake:. Although the DE isn't terrible, IMO the original sounds warmer, more dynamic and is EQd more to my taste. Still, there is room for improvement here so I would love an Audio Fidelity gold (or MoFi).

14. thos

thos Forum Resident

Wow, sounds like they added 20 more doors on this version too!

15. Koptapad

Koptapad Forum Resident

Where are you buying the individual albums in 5.1?

16. texron

texron Rory On

another vote for the original, sitting here listening to it now:righton:. MUCH better than my 2008 remaster. Everything seems a little more up front and clear with the original. Back to my tea and Genesis on this dreary day here in TX.

17. Rose River Bear

At first I thought the Remixes sounded better. After repeated listens and comparisons, I only go the remixes for novelty's sake. :cheers:

18. bholz

bholz Forum Resident

I purchased my copy from HMV Japan. They had the best price (not that this was inexpensive) of all the online stores (approx $15 less incl shipping than any other source).

I'm not a big Genesis fan. I just purchased a 1st press vinyl copy of this album and liked it so much that I decided to get the SACD.

19. bholz

bholz Forum Resident

BTW: I also should mention that the delivery was FAST. This SACD was in my hands in less than a week.

20. Rose River Bear

Is your pressing UK? I bought a UK first pressing a few weeks ago and it sounds amazing. Definitely worth the 50$ I spent. :cheers:

21. bholz

bholz Forum Resident

No, 1st US pressing. Didn't pay much ($10), the vinyl isn't bad but just a little noisy (especially in the quiet passages)

22. readandburn

readandburn Active Member

I'll probably be banned from the boards for this, but here goes :D

1. DE
    2. Remix
    3. Original

I would have said the remix was my favorite, but the missing cymbal hits on "The Colony Of Slipperman" after the "...he flies right down, gives me one hell of a fight" is inexcusable. That bothers me to no end.

23. Philip Begley

Philip Begley Forum Resident

Here's a curiosity - I have an original CD (UK: CGSCD1) (F:pM633) version of TLLDOB and CD2 is not Genesis...it's Grand Funk Railroad!! The text is correct but the actual Music is Grand Funk Railroad!! It was manufactured in Holland (0777 86409 2 9) 1974 Virgin Records
    Does anyone know anything about this?
    thanks
    Phil

24. Col Kepper

Col Kepper Well-Known Member

I've never heard the old Atlantic, but I do have the DE and the 2007 Charisma (not 2008) remix/remaster and I like the latter of the two.
    I was fearful that it would sound squashed and maybe the 2008 does. All I know is that the version I own, the 2007, is really good.

25. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

are there only three versions??? I like the sacd

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.