Poll: George Harrison - Dark Horse (1974 Album) - Top 5 songs

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dr. Pepper, Apr 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry? Thread Starter

I want to know how folks feel about these songs now. What are your 5 or so favorites? As a bonus let us know why you have picked your choices and if your thoughts on any of the songs have changed over time. Thought I would throw in a little controversy with the bonus track.:cussing::hide::-popcorn:

blutiga likes this.
  2. Dr. Pepper

3. abzach

abzach Forum Resident

A strange album - contains some of his best tracks (Ding Dong, Ding Dong and Dark Horse) and also some of his worse (Bye Bye, Love and Māya Love).

Dr. Pepper likes this.
  4. Dr. Pepper

Agreed some really nice tracks here. It would be a fun album to strip the vocals off of and have Dhani Harrison just re-record the whole thing.

Rfreeman and BluesOvertookMe like this.
  5. TimM

TimM Senior Member

I consider this a weak album that along with Extra Texture damaged his commercial career to an extent he never really recovered from.

majorlance, JonUrban, gja586 and 2 others like this.
  6. Paper Wizard

Paper Wizard Forum Resident

Shame George didn't wait for his voice to heal.
    Really a weak album in many ways. Still some decent songs.

7. Dr. Pepper

I agree releasing this product and touring on it with his voice mostly gone really hurt his career.

majorlance likes this.
  8. TimM

TimM Senior Member

Yes, he should have taken his time and waited until he had the songs for another strong album before he released something and toured behind it.

9. Dr. Pepper

This song probably says more about where George's head was at at the time than any of the songs on the album, the title really says it all:

10. Dr. Pepper

The problem was that wasn't his Beatles money still tied up and he was going through a divorce. I think he couldn't wait and needed the money the album and tour would bring in, short sighted though it was.

11. Greg Smith

Greg Smith Forum Resident

Far East Man & the title track are gems...

12. TimM

TimM Senior Member

I think I do remember that now and that does give him some excuse I guess.

13. Dr. Pepper

He might have done better just touring off of the material that he had released from 1973 and earlier. He had plenty of songs to tour on already especially if he included his Beatle material.

majorlance likes this.
  14. Pat A. Depharguarre

Pat A. Depharguarre Forum Resident

I'll take the ragged Dark Horse over the sterile jefflynneshness of Cloud 9 anytime.

15. TimM

TimM Senior Member

I'm not bothered with the ragged sound as much as I am by the lack of strong songs. This reminds me of Wings: At the Speed of Sound. Half baked.

16. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

Dark Horse
    Simply Shady
    Far East man
    So Sad
    Four great songs indeed, then I suppose, Hari's On Tour or Ding Dong.

Mumbojunk and Bern like this.
  17. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

:D
    No it wouldn't :)

Pat A. Depharguarre likes this.
  18. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

I like the instrumental work on this album. It sounds real nice to me (except for "Bye Bye Love"). But it's the vocals that bring it down.

It's also pretty skimpy; 9 songs only.

Even with the poor vocals, I still prefer it over Extra Texture.

Dr. Pepper and Bern like this.
  19. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Oh. I like "Far East Man" a lot --- both George's and Ronnie Wood's versions.

blutiga, Dr. Pepper and Paper Wizard like this.
  20. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth

I have a soft spot for this song. As you say it I think it says a lot about where his head was at the time.

That line he says at the start... "Got a B-side to make... we haven't got much time now so we'd better get right on with it." A few years earlier, George seemed so relieved that he was finally making his own album and it seems like the songs just came out effortlessly like running water. But now George is implying that the only reason he's recording a B-side is because he's "got to".

For me part of its charm is its unfinished quality. It's basically just a demo. Compare this to any of the ATMP songs or even the LITMW songs and the difference is massive. And I like it that way.

There's a series of three acoustic B-sides that George recorded during the 71-74 period: Deep Blue, Miss O'Dell and I Don't Care Anymore. All essential songs in my opinion.

blutiga and applebonkerz like this.
  21. Digital-G

Digital-G Senior Member

I chose Dark Horse only. This is my least favorite GH album.

22. applebonkerz

applebonkerz Senior Member

Ding Dong
    I Don't Care Anymore
    Dark Horse
    So Sad
    Far East Man

I've always really liked Ding Dong, and enjoy the rough hoarse vocals in it. Maybe he didn't care about I Don't Care Anymore, but it's still a fun song, nicely played, with a catchy melody -- another one I've always liked a lot. The siren sound in Hari's on Tour keeps it out of my top 5 choices here.

I agree with Arnie that this album is more enjoyable than Extra Texture.

Dr. Pepper likes this.
  23. abzach

abzach Forum Resident

I think Extra Texture is his best album.

blutiga and Dr. Pepper like this.
  24. TimM

TimM Senior Member

I respect your opinion, but I don't think you have a lot of company with that one.

Dr. Pepper likes this.
  25. Dr. Pepper

Well, there appear to be two of him and they both agree with each other!:laughup:

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.