Poll: Hair Metal during/after "Grunge" takeover - who still carried the flame?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mattright, Mar 8, 2017.

1. Winger's "Pull" is a Helluva album - Junkyard Dog is up there with anything Soundgarden did (for the most part)

Matthew Tate likes this.
  2. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

Nun of the above

3. Scopitone

Scopitone I wanna be Archtop when I grow up

If I could jump in: I grew up on hair metal and arena rock, and I was bitter about grunge. (I especially hated Pearl Jam, foolishly.)

I started college in Texas in 1992, when GnR were the kings and Dr Feelgood singles were still getting good airplay. But dyed in the wool as I was, I still could recognize that "Come as You Are" and "Lithium" and "Hunger Strike" were a lot more interesting than what I had been playing all those years. By the end of 1992, I was already listening to hair metal as nostalgia and listening to Temple of the Dog nonstop in my dormroom.

It all happened fast.

Stephen J and ian christopher like this.
  4. got into HS in 1989, graduated (1 year late) in 1994.

The sea change than happened in those years floors me to this date - not sure if any other sub-generation went through such a significant shift.

Perhaps the kids who started HS in 2001 (Nu-Metal craze) and graduated in 2005 (garage band craze) felt something similar?

5. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

Adrenalize was the last across-the-board number one glam metal album; US, UK, Canada, Australia.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  6. zen

zen Forum Resident