Poll: Hair Metal during/after "Grunge" takeover - who still carried the flame?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mattright, Mar 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bathory

Bathory 30 yr Single Malt, not just for breakfast anymore

tesla and europe are not hair bands, hell many of the if not ALL of the bands in your ;list are not hair metal, may be a few are but i very much dislike that genre label of "HAIR"

they are all kick a$$ rock bands with a few exceptions.

2. LitHum05

LitHum05 El Disco es Cultura

I stand corrected. So the answer is NO ONE was putting out good hair metal after Nirvana. Seriously. You’d have to look to the soundtrack to the film “Rockstar” for something that late.

3. ElevatorSkyMovie

ElevatorSkyMovie Senior Member

How did you skip it?

4. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

No one is, but Rush certainly isn't!

5. Bananas&blow

Bananas&blow It's just that demon life has got me in its sway

Honestly in terms of popularity, as soon as "Smells like Teen Spirit" hit, hair metal was done. In an instant. Like the death of disco, it was instant. I think it's fair to say not one of the bands on your list made a significant artistic impact after Nirvana exploded (which was a little while after the album was released). I was thinking Queensryche when I read the title of the thread, but they were more prog-metal. I was 16 when I first saw the Nirvana video and I remembered thinking how cool it was. Pearl Jam and Soundgarden blew up shortly after and next thing you know my buddies and I were going to goodwill to buy flannel shirts to look like our heroes. I chose "Skid Row' because that Monkey Business album was pretty good, but they weren't cool anymore.

ElevatorSkyMovie likes this.
  6. Hermes

Hermes Past Master

Grunge was just a copy of earlier hard- and noise-rock. They had smart videos and stuff, but unless you were a child at the time grunge really wasn't a big deal though it was one of the reasons for the death of hair metal.

To me, hair metal was the last really new genre in pop/rock music. After that the music died and since then it has been almost entirely about videos, commercials and marketing / psychology.

7. zen

zen Senior Member

I think Rush is a rock band.....that adapted to the HairMetal scene.

Last edited: May 10, 2018
  8. Hermes

Hermes Past Master

Hell, think about it: how could Santana get such a bestseller (Supernatural) ? It wasn't remotely among his best albums. The music itself didn't matter that much anymore.

9. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

My perception (only in 6th-7th grade at the time) was that Hair metal was already dying well before Nirvana hit. The biggest thing in 5th grade was Posion, then in 6th grade it was Color Me Badd. :yikes: I'm sure that wasn't the case among exclusive rock/metal fans but as a pop music juggernaut it wasn't there anymore. Rock fans were already cast adrift before Nirvana showed up, and that to me was their impact more than some sea-change from hair metal. They were quickly eclipsed by Pearl Jam and Metallica, but it put rock music back as the dominant trend again.

My choice, not on the poll, is Aerosmith. As a kid in those times I perceived no difference between the pop-metal of groups like Poison or Cinderella, in terms of their look and sound and how they were packaged on MTV and radio, vs. legacy hard rock acts like Aerosmith, or Van Halen, or Def Leppard, and Aerosmith was as big as ever after Nirvana and grunge came on the scene.

10. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

The thread is about Hair Metal bands, not non-HM bands who "adapted". There are plenty who "adapted" in that period.

Crud, REM were a rock band who did just fine in the Hair Metal era - should we vote for them in this thread, too? :confused:

mark winstanley likes this.
  11. bamaaudio

bamaaudio Forum Resident

Changed the channel, I mean.

12. gudnoyez

gudnoyez Forum Resident

Even though Cinderella and Tesla should not be considered Hair Metal there not, I voted for them, Great White also should not be considered Hair Metal, and don't let the album cover for Cinderellas Night Songs fool you into believing that there a Hair Metal band. Long Cold Winter is hardly a cheesey Hair Metal fest or anything from Tesla or Great White for that matter. These bands are hard blues rock bands and good ones at that.

13. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

That is crazy talk. There is a pretty big new wave of hair metal resurgence happening right now and for the last several years. Of course, it will never be topping charts like it was 30 years ago but there are tons of good, current hair metal bands out there. The first album I usually suggest is Generation Wild by Crashdiet.

14. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

From the list Tesla, but, Y&T beats 'em all to me.

jfbar167 likes this.
  15. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Dokken '94
    What Price
    Shadows Of Life
    Long Way Home
    The Maze
    Nothing Left To Say
    Lesser Of Two Evils
    Inside Looking Out
    Sweet Chains
    Too High To Fly

Dysfunctional
    Inside Looking Out (remix)
    Hole In My Head (new song)
    The Maze (remix)
    Too High To Fly (remix/extended intro)
    Nothing Left To Say
    Shadows Of Life (remix)
    Long Way Home (remix)
    Sweet Chains
    Lesser Of Two Evils
    What Price
    From The Beginning (new song)

I think that covers it...
    Overall I prefer the '94 mixes as they are raw and in your face. Mick has a particularly good drum sound. The two most radical changes are Too High To Fly which has a minute added to it on Dysfunctional of George's intro and Long Way Home which has some Diary of a Madman style chanting in the middle break.

16. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

i'm glad i'm not the only one who is baffled by folks calling grunge something new at the time ...

Alex Yari and Matthew Tate like this.
  17. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I'd say Bon Jovi did. They're still huge and never really have had a drop off since Slippery When Wet. Def Leppard wasn't really a 'glam/hair' band though they did dabble in it, but their origins come much earlier. Mötley Crüe are a decent candidate.

mark winstanley and Matthew Tate like this.
  18. vinylphile

vinylphile Forum Resident

Guns ‘n Roses. I know many don’t consider them Hair Metal but songs such as Paradise City and November Rain sure embody elements of that “genre” to my ears. And they certainly had long teased hair, misogynistic lyrics and a singer with your classic hair metal high-pitched squeal. Obviously they didn’t do much after Illusions but they remained kinda popular through the early to mid 90s grunge years.

Purple and Matthew Tate like this.
  19. vinylphile

vinylphile Forum Resident

And I think the two have more or less nothing to do with one another. Nothing.

20. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

PS - there is no such thing as "hair metal"
    The term is HEAVY METAL.

21. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

thank you. I might try to find the 1994 version

Curveboy likes this.
  22. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Many of those bands in that list never sniffed the term heavy metal.

Stormrider77, Crungy, Oatsdad and 2 others like this.
  23. The Slug Man

The Slug Man Forum Resident

Because he paired up with a lot of "hot" performers at the time (like Rob Thomas), plus his label promoted it on the back of the "Latin explosion" of '99.

Think I'll go listen to Lotus now!

24. jmobrien68

jmobrien68 Forum Resident

I believe I spent most of my time during the grunge era with The Black Crowes.

25. ModernDayWarrior

ModernDayWarrior Senior Member

Rush did nothing at all that resembled the glam metal scene. If anything they went more in a more new wave direction in the early eighties to almost a jazz fusion sound by the late 80’s. The grunge scene certainly influenced them to get much harder again by the time Counterparts came out in ‘93.

ARK, Stormrider77 and GodShifter like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.