Poll: Hair Metal during/after "Grunge" takeover - who still carried the flame?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mattright, Mar 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

All of them were called Heavy Metal. All of them.

2. The Slug Man

The Slug Man Forum Resident

I may have said this before, but in high school (86-90) the term hair metal was never used. It was the catch-all term "metal," broken down into either "glam" or "thrash/speed metal." With bands in the middle like Priest, Maiden, or Dio, I can't remember what we called, probably just metal. (Nowadays I would say "traditional" metal).

3. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

Indeed, the idea of Bon Jovi or its spawn Poison being metal is silly.

GodShifter likes this.
  4. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Would you call Bon Jovi, Poison, or Tesla “metal”? I certainly wouldn’t and didn’t back then either.

Stormrider77 likes this.
  5. weekendtoy

weekendtoy Rejecting your reality and substituting my own.

The bands on this list are rock and a few hard rock. At the time metal was for NWOBHM, American thrash and other forms of developing sub-genre's of metal.

This from my perspective taken as lived back in the mid to late 80's.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  6. The Hermit

The Hermit Wavin' that magick glowstick since 1976

W.A.S.P. are conspicuously absent from this list; although not a 'hair metal' band as such - certainly not from 1989's The Headless Children album onward - but just for the sake of argument on this thread, they continued to put out quality albums during the 'grunge' explosion - arguably their greatest work in 1992's The Crimson Idol - and have continued to do so throughout their 35-year tenure to date... many of those bands from that era have split up, reunited, come and go, with sporadic albums in between, but Blackie Lawless has never stopped making solid-to-great albums and touring... does that count?

Other than that, Motley Crue's eponymous 1994 album with John Corabi is a frickin' masterpiece... one of the best produced albums of any musical genre at any given time and one of the top ten rock/metal albums of that entire decade if not the last three!

And grunge didn't kill 'hair metal'... Appetite for Destruction did; after THAT album, all the assorted hairspray brigade looked like poseurs by comparison; Nirvana et al just nailed the coffin shut upon arrival, but that scene was dying from the moment that AfD went to #1 and hit the stratosphere...

Last edited: May 11, 2018
    Szeppelin75 and Matthew Tate like this.
  7. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Agree. Many of them are essentially just rock-based pop...

GodShifter likes this.
  8. ModernDayWarrior

ModernDayWarrior Senior Member

The term used in the 80’s was either glam metal or pop metal. Hair metal was basically invented after grunge took over and was a derogatory term imo. Now everybody uses that term unfortunately.

Alex Yari, ARK, Stormrider77 and 3 others like this.
  9. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

[​IMG]

10. ModernDayWarrior

It may seem silly now because of more extreme metal genres but that’s the way it was back then. A lot of it fell under the same umbrella. There’s always a revisionism that happens.

Alex Yari, ARK, jeffreybh and 5 others like this.
  11. chumlie

chumlie Forum Resident

Can I go with '' None above ''

12. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Notice it says “the international HARD ROCK and heavy metal magazine”. Bon Jovi was hard rock, sure. So, even on that magazine cover: some are metal; many are not. Bon Jovi is not.

Stormrider77, vinylphile and Oatsdad like this.
  13. MYQ1

MYQ1 Forum Resident

Some of the bands on the list had broke up or were inactive for much of the grunge period.

Alex Yari and Matthew Tate like this.
  14. MYQ1

MYQ1 Forum Resident

Great White put out some good material during those years:

Matthew Tate likes this.
  15. MYQ1

MYQ1 Forum Resident

RATT too:

Purple and Curveboy like this.
  16. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

I was in high school when Bon Jovi started and I saw them as posers for the get-go when they tried to act tough. I never saw them as metal. This was before I ever heard Venom or Metallica. Your mileage may vary; however, and that's cool.

GodShifter likes this.
  17. ModernDayWarrior

You’re right and I felt the same way. But they were featured in metal magazines back in the day along with Metallica, Motley etc etc. That’s just the way it was perceived back then. Nowadays they wouldn’t even be close to being metal.

ARK and Purple like this.
  18. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

With all due respect, I was 18 or 19 when Bon Jovi hit it big. I was a huge metal fan but never considered them heavy metal. None of my friends did, either. I never considered Van Halen metal nor Poison or Whitesnake. What’s the difference you ask? Too tiresome to get into.

How well received would Bon Jovi had been if they had opened for Metallica? Or Anthrax? Or Slayer? Or Accept?

ian christopher and Stormrider77 like this.
  19. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

As a much younger kid in the 80s, completely ignorant of genre, my perception was those groups were all sold and presented as heavy metal in the media (especially MTV,) along with older hard/glam rock acts and NWOBHM holdovers. (Van Halen, Aerosmith, Def Leppard, etc.)

Maybe they were saying 'heavy metal and hard rock' and I just didn't pick up on the distinction, but that's not how I remember it.

I did Columbia house at 8 or 9 and you have to pick a category for your album of the month. They didn't have 'heavy metal' so I picked 'hard rock' and the first album I got was Metal Church's Blessing in Disguise.

Purple and Matthew Tate like this.
  20. yarbles

yarbles Too sick to pray

Apologies if anyone's already said this, but a better question might be: "which of these bands were making quality albums before the grunge takeover?"

Less than half, I'd say. And that's being generous!

BeauZooka and Exile On My Street like this.
  21. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Do you consider all those bands heavy metal now? Because somebody in this thread still does.

Stormrider77, ianuaditis and yarbles like this.
  22. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

"Carrying the flame" probably not the wisest move for a hair metaller, given the flammable nature of hairspray they used ...

ARK likes this.
  23. yarbles

yarbles Too sick to pray

Skid Row's the only one I can spot. Very Metal, especially Subhuman Race.

24. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

For once we agree...

yarbles likes this.
  25. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Bon Jovi opened for Scorpions, KISS, Judas Priest
    They also played Monsters of Rock '86 with Warlock, Michael Schenker Group, Ozzy and Scorps.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.