Poll: how do you orientate your LP inner sleeves?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Erik Tracy, Jun 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale Thread Starter

How do you orientate your inner sleeves for LPs?

1. Sleeve opening aligned with the top of the LP cover jacket for further protection?
    2. Sleeve opening aligned with the LP cover jacket opening for easier extraction?
    3. Sleeves? Like me, my LPs go 'commando' :winkgrin:

2. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

Always 'up' for dust protection. Many 1960's UK LPs are cut so the sleeve can only go 'open side up.' It can't be inserted sideways or it crinkles / buckles.

quadjoe likes this.
  3. Erik Tracy

True.

But then there are sleeves with rounded 'bottoms' which seem to indicate putting them into the cover to align with the opening.

4. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

Only one that comes to mind there is original / early pressings of Dylan's Blonde On Blonde. With that I have the records in audiophile sleeves 'opening up' inside the gatefold.

5. Always at a 90° angle from the jacket opening or outer sleeve.

6. Jasonb

Jasonb Forum Resident

Always up for protection. Used to have the outer that way too but got sick of having to take the cover out as well as the inner. Now I slide the inner straight out. Also some thin outers can split if you constantly take out the cover and slide it back in again badly.
    Good question. Whenever I buy used and the inner is aligned opened with the cover, I'm a bit wary of how they've been looked after. Bit like stacking them on top of each other. :shake:

7. RonW

RonW Forum Resident

I have them with the open side facing the jacket opening. Never had a problem.

8. The Trinity

The Trinity Do what thou wilt, so mote be it.

I'm a bit OCD, but every inner sleeve faces up, with the high side of the sleeve facing the front cover, and side 1 of the LP also facing the front of the cover, and with the top of the record label oriented at the top of the inner sleeve. Perfection.

Ayshpaysh, MedozK, timztunz and 3 others like this.
  9. RingoStarr39

RingoStarr39 Forum Resident

I always leave mine with the opening facing the right unless it won't fit that way.

10. lechiffre

lechiffre Forum Resident

I keep my vinyls on one of these to protect the sleeves

[​IMG]

Just kidding of course.

I put the record behind the jacket in a clear plastic bag. I don't want to get rings on the covers.

11. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Inner sleeve opening has the opening up top....outer sleeve has the opening at the spine.

12. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

I leave the shinkwrap on; don't use any outer sleeves. Inner sleeves with opening up. My crates have a custom-made clear poly cover so no dust can get into them.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  13. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Same here, record in liner outside but inside the outer jacket sleeve, never actually inside the jacket, confusing, lol
    [​IMG]

14. erniebert

erniebert Shoe-string audiophile

For my LPs that don't have outer bags, the opening of the inner sleeve points up.

For the ones that do have bags, the LP is stored in its sleeve, behind the jacket, with the opening facing sideways.

15. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

Sleeve opening aligned with the top of the LP cover jacket for further protection

Darryl

16. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

Opening at the top.

With plain sleeves, I used to have it open on the side for easy extraction, but I stopped doing that years ago.

17. bozburn

bozburn Forum Resident

I keep my opening towards the top as well. My OCD likes to keep the artwork on the inner sleeve right side up, along with the album cover.

jon9091 likes this.
  18. The Entertainer

The Entertainer Forum Resident

I like to keep the sleeve facing sideways for easy extraction, I keep all my records in polyethylene sleeves anyway so I can't imagine storing them upward would really add that much extra protection. I used to do it, but it quickly became a pain when I got a music room and started doing marathon listening sessions.

19. Dr. Metal MD

Dr. Metal MD Forum Resident

Other. Always at a 90 degree angle with the top of the outer sleeve. I also put my records in back of the jacket within the outersleeve. This way, I don't have to take out the jacket to get the LPs out. This is especially convenient when I'm playing 2 LP 180 gram pressings. I don't want to damage the jackets in anyway. MoFi inner sleeves with polyethylene 3-4 mm thick outer sleeves.

Johnny Vinyl likes this.
  20. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

The way is came from the record plant, facing up.

Colin M likes this.
  21. quadjoe

quadjoe Senior Member

As others have said, up for dust protection. I'm not OCD, so I don't use outer sleeves, but don't take them off if the record came with one (usually used.)

22. Erik Tracy

I turn the inner sleeve "up" as well.

23. Subvet

Subvet Forum Resident

Inner sleeve opening up, then LP goes into an outer sleeve with that opening up.

24. robertawillisjr

robertawillisjr Music Lover

25. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

Yes Option A but I sometimes find that it has been changed to face the opening and also the opening of the jacket is "up". This means my wife has been listening to records. And I am ok with that :righton: I keep them in homemade record crates with the album art facing the viewer my wife turns them with the slot to the top. Again, that's fine I am glad she is playing them

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.