Poll: How do you rate David Gilmour's "David Gilmour" album?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Johnny Reb, Oct 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Johnny Reb

Johnny Reb Résident du forum Thread Starter

"There's no way out of here, when you come in, you're in for good..."

The rules for this series: this poll is designed for people familiar with the album in question and with at least some familiarity with some of their other catalog (for comparison purposes). If the poll doesn't interest you, please kindly move on to a thread that does. Please simply consider how YOU would rate the album in question, in comparison with the rest of the Floyd's discography! And as always, a shout-out to member mrjinks for creating all the groundwork for this series.

Note: please use the same criteria for rating these solo albums as you would Pink Floyd as a band albums, so we can compare the results of this poll to, say, The Division Bell. A poll like this only makes sense rating the few - or only - albums of each solo member against something else - the logical choice is their works as a band. This will not change.

So, how do YOU rate this album?

Album history: "David Gilmour is the debut solo studio album by Pink Floyd guitarist and co-lead vocalist David Gilmour. The album was released in May and June 1978 in the United Kingdom and the United States, respectively. The album reached number 17 in the UK[1] and number 29 on the Billboard US album charts; it was certified Gold in the US by the RIAA. The album was produced by Gilmour, and consists mostly of blues, guitar oriented rock songs except for the piano-dominated ballad "So Far Away"." Note: the 2006 CD contains extended versions of most of the songs.

Tracklist:
    1. Mihalis 5:46
    2. There's No Way Out Of Here 5:08
    3. Cry From The Street 5:13
    4. So Far Away 5:50
    5. Short And Sweet 5:30
    6. Raise My Rent 5:33
    7. No Way 5:32
    8. It's Deafinitely 4:27
    9. I Can't Breathe Anymore 3:04

[​IMG]

Previous polls:
    Pink Floyd (updated 10/9):
    The Piper at the Gates of Dawn. Currently 602 people have voted, with an average of 4.26.
    A Saucerful of Secrets. Currently 370 people have voted, with an average of 3.79.
    More. Currently 304 people have voted, with an average of 3.37.
    Ummagumma. Currently 440 people have voted, with an average of 3.09.
    Atom Heart Mother. Currently 473 people have voted, with an average of 3.73.
    Meddle. Currently 525 people have voted, with an average of 4.70.
    Obscured by Clouds. Currently 451 people have voted, with an average of 3.86.
    The Dark Side of the Moon. Currently 636 people have voted, with an average of 4.75.
    Wish You Were Here. Currently 776 people have voted, with an average of 4.77.
    Animals. Currently 721 people have voted, with an average of 4.62.
    The Wall. Currently 849 people have voted, with an average of 4.01.
    The Final Cut. Currently 590 people have voted, with an average of 3.08.
    A Momentary Lapse of Reason. Currently 445 people have voted, with an average of 2.97.
    Delicate Sound of Thunder. Currently 258 people have voted, with an average of 2.88.
    The Division Bell. Currently 498 people have voted, with an average of 3.29.
    Pulse. Currently 311 people have voted, with an average of 3.34.
    Is There Anybody Out There? The Wall Live 1980-81. Currently 253 people have voted, with an average of 3.67.
    The Endless River. Currently 476 people have voted, with an average of 2.51.

Syd Barrett:
    The Madcap Laughs. Currently 233 people have voted, with an average of 3.80.
    Barrett. Currently 159 people have voted, with an average of 3.77.
    Opel. Currently 85 people have voted, with an average of 3.40.

Nick Mason:
    Fictitious Sports. Currently 51 people have voted, with an average of 2.61.

1. Wish You Were Here: 4.77
    2. The Dark Side of the Moon: 4.75
    3. Meddle: 4.70
    4. Animals: 4.62
    5. The Piper at the Gates of Dawn: 4.26
    6. The Wall: 4.01
    7. Obscured by Clouds: 3.86
    8. Syd Barrett - The Madcap Laughs: 3.80
    9. A Saucerful of Secrets: 3.79
    10. Syd Barrett - Barrett: 3.77
    11. Atom Heart Mother: 3.73
    12. Is There Anybody Out There? The Wall Live 1980-81: 3.67
    13. Syd Barrett - Opel: 3.40
    14. More: 3.37
    15. Pulse: 3.34
    16. The Division Bell: 3.29
    17. Ummagumma: 3.09
    18. The Final Cut: 3.08
    19. A Momentary Lapse of Reason: 2.97
    20. Delicate Sound of Thunder: 2.88
    21. Nick Mason - Fictitious Sports: 2.61
    22. The Endless River: 2.51

2. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

One of their better solo releases, along with Wet Dream and Amused to Death. But none are as good as the best they did together.

3. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

Not too bad, but not as good as a lot of the Pink Floyd stuff they did together

AlienRendel likes this.
  4. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

Curious about more of the history with him and Wright doing solo albums at around the same time. Was Gilmour already contemplating life after Floyd or was this just to record material within a different context?

5. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

For me, it's David's best solo album. I love There's No Way Out of Here.

No Bull, andy75, Stencil and 10 others like this.
  6. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

It's about as exciting as its cover suggests.

7. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

A pretty solid effort - worth recommending

My second fave Dave after On An Island

(FYI the remaster has longer edits on some tracks)

Galaga King and Neonbeam like this.
  8. petercl

petercl Forum Resident

It's David's best album and the one I listen to most. It's got some great laid back grooves.

9. DPM

DPM Senior Member

A very solid debut solo album from David, and when it comes to his best album overall it's a close call between the debut and About Face. It also compares well with most of the Pink Floyd catalogue with only the band's classic efforts (Dark Side Of The Moon, Wish You Were Here, Animals and The Wall) besting it IMHO.

Hardy Melville likes this.
  10. Johnny Reb

A good question! I found this on Wiki:
    "In an interview with Circus in 1978, Gilmour said: "This album [David Gilmour] was important to me in terms of self-respect. At first I didn't think my name was big enough to carry it. Being in a group for so long can be a bit claustrophobic, and I needed to step out from behind Pink Floyd's shadow.""

Runicen and Say It Right like this.
  11. abzach

abzach Forum Resident

The best Pink Floyd solo album.

Roadeyez, Zack, petercl and 7 others like this.
  12. SurrealCereal

SurrealCereal Forum Resident

I really like it as an album, but I wouldn’t necessarily call it essential for Pink Floyd fans. I would definitely recommend it to anyone who likes Pink Floyd’s Meddle through Wish You Were Here era.

WorldB3 and Rooster_Ties like this.
  13. Felix Atagong

Felix Atagong Forum Resident

His first (sort of, if you forget the couple of songs he sang on a French soundtrack) and best.

14. PDK

PDK Forum Resident

"A pretty solid effort - worth recommending"

I love it.

I love Gilmour's voice and guitar playing.... but many year's on I recognize it's not a great album.

I still love it though.

15. Johnny Reb

Wait, what is this?

16. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

Eh. Weakest debut solo from any Floydster. Apart from the cover version, I couldn’t tell you what any of the songs were called, even after owning this album for 15 Years.

Except ‘Cry From The Streets’, which is an embarrassment.

agibaut likes this.
  17. zinan

zinan Forum Resident

Quite good album, I could recommend it to admirers of Pink Floyd. But I like much more the latest solo albums of Gilmour

18. Hardy Melville

Hardy Melville Forum Resident

I'm a big fan of this album, but recognize it has a kind of dominant mood and even outlook that is not going to appeal equally to everyone. Melancholy in short.

I got it when it first came out, and played it often in the middle of listening to new punk albums like Plastic Letters, and Emmylou Harris, but also Physical Graffiti, not being too impressed by It's Only Rock and Roll, and of course Animals! It hit a sweet spot for me while people like my then girlfriend were into Fleetwood Mac and Boston and of course disco. I have a real fondness for it.

Having said that I get that it's not an album that is brimming with hook laden songs, and not even all that Floyd-like in the Roger Waters sense. I would guess Waters fans would not be too huge on this effort. But that's not enough of a criticism to say it's not a great album. A mood album with great guitar and voice is capable of being great, obviously. And in fact such songs as So Far Away, a real favorite of mine, There's No Way Out of Here, No Way (excellent spacey blues tune, great slide) and the short ending Can't Breathe are in fact great songs, imo.

As great as the guitar work is, if anything it is Gilmour's vocal work here that really impresses. One can argue he does not fill up the whole album in that regard given the instrumentals. But the vocals on the songs mentioned in the preceding paragraph are excellent and the equal of Gilmour's best work elsewhere.

Compared to Floyd's discography, clearly DSOTM, Meddle, Wish You Were Here and Animals are all better. Not sure anything else is, though. Probably tied with Saucerful. So yeah, I say essential.

Terrapin Station likes this.
  19. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I voted Clearly one of their best works - essential listening for Floyd fans as it's an excellent solo album from David Gilmour.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2017
    vegafleet and Terrapin Station like this.
  20. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

I had to roll with "A pretty solid effort." I remember hearing this as a Floyd fanatic in my teens and loving "There's No Way Out of Here" but finding the rest kind of interchangeable (though spot the musical bit later re-used on The Division Bell...).

As time has rolled on, I've found more to like here. It's a low-key album, but not terribly shocking given Gilmour's tendencies outside of the Floyd. I sometimes wonder what a more "open" production would do for these songs. Similar to Animals (though far more dramatic in effect), there's a kind of sepia tone to everything to my ears. Not bad, but it does tend to rob the album of drama and some of these songs could use a bit of it.

21. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

I voted so so. Its ok. I LOVE "No Way out of Here," but its the lone standout for me. Its an otherwise fairly low key and mellow album, kind of unexciting.

davers likes this.
  22. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

Well

(1) I wouldn't really consider someone to be a fan of an artist (a) if they don't own and/or regularly listen to the vast majority of their albums (I'd say ALL of their albums, but maybe there would be an excuse for a few titles, and we might be talking about someone with a really huge discography), and (b) if they don't like the vast majoirty of their albums,

(2) I'd rate this album a 10/10, as I would the vast majority of Floyd/Floyd-related albums--they're one of my top 20 artists after all--that I like them that much is what makes them that high on my list,

but

(3) If I were ranking all of their albums, this wouldn't be above the middle of the pile.

So I'm not sure what I should choose in the poll.

23. libertycaps

libertycaps Forum Resident

Best song is a cover. So there's that.

agibaut likes this.
  24. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

A pretty solid effort - worth recommending - I don't think that any of their solo work is essential listening or clearly one of their best works, but this is as good as it gets as far as the solo stuff.

The Bishop likes this.
  25. Rufus McDufus

Rufus McDufus Forum Resident

I don't really compare it to Floyd as it doesn't really sound like that to me. I absolutely love it though and nowadays probably play it more than all the Floyd albums, bar maybe one or two.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.