POLL: How do you rate Paul & Linda McCartney's "Ram" album?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mrjinks, Apr 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged Thread Starter

And, in the end...

A year ago, discussion in some thread here had a bunch of folks debating the merits (and especially DEmerits) of Paul McCartney's most recent album "New". Since some of the folks bashing the new disc were clearly veteran McCartney listeners, it got me curious what people's opinions were on the album, not so much on a standard one-to-five-star scale, but on a more "customized" scale, for those familiar with Paul's solo catalog (and, of course his Beatle history). Thus came the poll choices, which have taken some valid criticisms. As mentioned before, for those who question/dislike the poll choices, I take full blame. My fullest attempt to explain the "logic" behind the rating options is explained here.

Anyway, here we are, exactly one year later. I didn't initially intend to carry this out for all Paul's albums, but it was interesting enough to keep going. Thanks to all of you for continuing to play along.

So, ONE LAST TIME, the ground rules: this poll, like the others, is designed for people familiar with the album in question and with at least some familiarity with some of his other post-Beatle catalog (for comparison purposes). If the poll doesn't interest you, please kindly move on to a thread that does. I intentionally don't name "comparison albums" on the best-to-worst scale, as some may think a particular album of his is awesome, while others may have a completely different take on the same album. Just consider how YOU would rate it in comparison with his other post-Beatles work.

If you've missed a previous poll, feel free to vote below. Here's a recap of how the others have rated so far:
    The "New" poll. 398 votes, with an average rating of 3.63 (edging slightly towards "solid effort").
    The "Back To The Egg" poll. 365 votes, with an average rating of 3.60.
    The "Wild Life" poll. 401 votes, with an average rating of 2.89 (just below "not bad").
    The "Driving Rain" poll. 324 votes, with an average rating of 2.75.
    The "Flowers in the Dirt" poll. 382 votes, with an average rating of 3.75.
    The "Flaming Pie" poll. 351 votes, with a very favorable average rating of 4.11.
    The "McCartney II" poll. 293 votes, with an average ratingof 3.13.
    The "Red Rose Speedway" poll. 311 votes, with an average rating of 3.32.
    The "Memory Almost Full" poll. 240 votes, with an average rating of 3.38.
    The "Pipes of Peace" poll. 246 votes, with the lowest average rating to date of 2.46.
    The "Band on the Run" poll. 429 votes, with the highest average rating of 4.65 (!!).
    The "Give My Regards to Broad Street" poll. 230 votes, with an average rating of 2.52.
    The "McCartney" poll. 352 votes, with an average rating of 4.04.
    The "At The Speed Of Sound" poll. 347 votes, with an average rating of 3.14.
    The "CHOBA B CCCP" poll. 187 votes, with an average rating of 3.04.
    The "London Town" poll. 227 votes, with an average rating of 3.26.
    The "Kisses on the Bottom" poll. 233 votes, with an average rating of 2.55.
    The "Off The Ground" poll. 295 votes, with an average rating of 2.86.
    The "Run Devil Run" poll. 150 votes, with an average rating of 3.70.
    The "Tug of War" poll. 243 votes, with an average rating of 4.10.
    The "Electric Arguments" poll. 207 votes, with an average rating of 3.69.
    The "Press to Play" poll. 267 votes, with an average rating of 2.61.
    The "Venus & Mars" poll. 267 votes, with the 2nd-best rating to-date of 4.25.
    The "Chaos & Creation" poll. 221 votes, with an average rating of 4.17.

I'll probably revisit this with a new thread at some point in a few weeks to summarize and recap some stats. Until then... :wave:

2. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Slam dunk awesomeness. May even be better overall than one of Beatles soundtrack albums (though that is in no small part due to it having more than twice as much non-orchestral music on it). But you aren't going to find me saying there is much that is preferable to anything by the Beatles.

The ex-Beatle album I listen to the most, though I won't say it is better than POB.

3. 1970

1970 Forum Resident

Essential.

veloso2 and Scope J like this.
  4. Culpa

Culpa Forum Resident

Didn't we do this recently?:)

Ever since I bought Ram in 1971 it has been one of my two favorite McCartney albums.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2015
    bluejeanbaby and DrBeatle like this.
  5. nojmplease

nojmplease Host, You Can't Unhear This

Wait, I thought it was pretty well accepted by now that this was his finest post-Beatles work? What other album would even challenge it?

6. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Clearly one of his best works - essential listening for Paul fans

joy stinson, theMess, supermd and 2 others like this.
  7. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Maybe on this board. If you were to ask music fans at large I am pretty sure Band on the Run would win easily.
    For me personally, London Town is real close to Ram.

8. gramfan

gramfan Forum Resident

Ram...Yes..kicked off the seventies well...sunny day reefer music....or late night smoked out great last spin.....

9. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

I probably voted "one of his best works" for too many albums to keep the category meaningful, but what can you do?

joy stinson, Zeki, Paul H and 3 others like this.
  10. Brother Maynard

Brother Maynard Forum Resident

11. Chuckee

Chuckee Forum Resident

On rateyourmusic Ram rates slightly higher than BOTR 3.97/3.93

joy stinson likes this.
  12. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

The problem is the way the categories are done on these polls. The first and last rate it compared to Paul's other works, the middle three are more absolute opinions about the quality of the work.

joy stinson likes this.
  13. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Still pretty sure that among those who don't spend time rating their music, Band on the Run is the favorite of Paul's output.
    My sense is that way more people love Band on the Run and think it is his best album than even know he recorded an album called Ram.

joy stinson likes this.
  14. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

Ram is in Paul's top four or five releases for me, so easily qualifying as essential listening for Paul's other fans also I would guess .

At this point, it's a much more enjoyable listen than Band On the Run for me, although Band On the Run will probably be the toppermost of the poppermost here.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2015
  15. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged Thread Starter

It will have a tough time beating BOTR and it's currently lagging a bit behind it with the first 50 votes in...

16. Chuckee

Chuckee Forum Resident

The average person probably hasn't heard both LPs, but they at least know the title track of Band on the Run.

17. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

You should all know how I feel about RAM...not only is it Paul's best album, I consider it one of the great albums by anyone, ever. I put it up there with the best the Beatles ever did. I LOVE this album.

18. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Of course Ram is -clearly one of his best and essential listening. In fact is one of my favorite pop-albums of all time. 12 out of 10

theMess likes this.
  19. Simply... the best of McCartney album, or at least in the top three...

joy stinson and theMess like this.
  20. Nick Dunning

Nick Dunning Forum Resident

'Ram's reputation and standing has grown and grown as it's got older. It's an absolute classic, only dud for me is the risible 'Smile Away'.

Certainly my favourite Macca non-Beatle record. The palpable Brian Wilson influence in places elavates it to greatness.

She is anyway likes this.
  21. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

One of his best. Gets better with time.

joy stinson, theMess and Folknik like this.
  22. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

Mostly great. Never did like 'Eat At Home' or 'Back Seat Of My Car' (or, for that matter, 'Another Day') but the rest was pretty solid.

Still kind of upset that the Hear CD reissue lists the album title all in caps on tyhe spine, like it's supposed to be initials or something. The album's not actually called 'Read Only Memory', you know - use lower case letters like every other album title, dagnabbit!

23. peerke

peerke Senior Member

It should be in the top 30 of every All Time Greatest Albums list.

joy stinson, bluejeanbaby and theMess like this.
  24. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

As always when Ram comes up, I'll provide the contrary opinion. Lower-tier in my estimation. I find the Ram love on this forum absolutely baffling. I'd rather listen to Wild Life or Pipes of Peace.

25. She is anyway

She is anyway Well-Known Member

Admiral Halsey notified me
    He had to have a berth or he couldn't get to sea
    I had another look and I had a cup of tea
    And a butter pie
    Butter pie?
    The butter wouldn't melt
    So I put it in the pie

There's nothing else like Ram. It's Hippie Paul's finest hour. :)

bluejeanbaby, Remurmur, DLant and 4 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.