Poll: How do you rate Pink Floyd's "A Momentary Lapse of Reason" album?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Johnny Reb, Aug 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

Good...except take out "Dogs of War".

aphexj likes this.
  2. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

Hi Roger! An honor to have you here.

3. MikeManaic61

MikeManaic61 Forum Resident

I think I would've added Marooned in there but that's a pretty good list.

4. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

They were friends with Roger?

Bink likes this.
  5. Johnny Reb

Johnny Reb RĂ©sident du forum Thread Starter

That's actually not true... As stated elsewhere (by Gilmour I think?), Endless River was 40% old material paired with 60% new; that means the majority was brand new music.

To combat the hate of both: I love it and love A Momentary Lapse Of Reason as well! :pineapple:

6. The_Windmill

The_Windmill Forum Resident

Originally they planned to do a double album (IIRC), then discarded the idea. Or they just jammed a lot. Anyway, everything sounding more "ambient" was left aside unworked, basically fragmentary jams. What they did is taking those jams mostly to get Rick's contributions, enhance them with extra guitars and drums, splice them together to simulate a full running program and adding embarrassing lyrics from Dave's wife.

There should not be much "new music" there, just new overdubs. maybe that's what was referenced in the article you read.

DTK, ribonucleic and Johnny Reb like this.
  7. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

David Gilmour cannot write songs. They used every song doctor they could find and still failed miserably.

DTK, xfilian and ribonucleic like this.
  8. California Couple

California Couple dislike us on facebook

If Waters was on Reason it would still sound like an 80's album.
    Because it was an 80's album.
    There is no way they would have made an album in 1987 that had a "dated" 70's sound.

9. ribonucleic

ribonucleic Forum Resident

I dispute the claim that it is a "Pink Floyd" record. :)

xfilian likes this.
  10. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

I agree.

I would also say that this album came in the period between his two main songwriting partners. Division Bell was the start of his songwriting relationship with Polly which obviously continues to this day. So AMLOR feels like he hadn't found his sea legs yet so to speak.

11. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

So so but a sentimental pick for me. Came out during my college years and was an entry point to their better earlier work.

altaeria likes this.
  12. mando_dan

mando_dan Forum Resident

Don't forget the 10, yes 10, keys players on the album who are not named Rick Wright. Barrel scrapings.

xfilian and Chris M like this.
  13. hazard

hazard Forum Resident

I enjoy both of David's earlier solo albums. Unfortunately this does not live up to those LPs despite the contributions of Wright and Mason.
    Its not bad by normal standards, but poor for Pink Floyd.

14. Rockstar2112

Rockstar2112 Forum Resident

It is just as much a Pink Floyd record as The Final Cut is!!

15. Rockstar2112

Rockstar2112 Forum Resident

The tour for AMLOR was fantastic too. I was lucky enough to see a couple of the very early shows at the CNE in Toronto where they opened with Echoes. The tracks from AMLOR that were played were outstanding. One Slip & On The Turning Away really stood out for me, but then again of course I was under the influence of some hallucinogenics lol!!

kendo likes this.
  16. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

Giving it a spin right now and enjoying as I am looking at threads

Psychedelic Good Trip likes this.
  17. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

Interesting.

Carserguev, JNTEX and tinnox like this.
  18. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Did they even make any significant contributions to the album? From what I understand, Wright barely even appears on the the album. That's my beef with Momentary Lapse--it's basically a Gilmour solo record masquerading as a Pink Floyd album for commercial reasons.

hazard, DTK, Bink and 1 other person like this.
  19. DolphinsIntheJacuzzi

DolphinsIntheJacuzzi Forum Resident

I honestly don't understand why so many people consider TFC canon, but not AMLOR. Honestly, TFC sounds less like prime Floyd than either of the Gilmour-led, Waters-less albums. At least, Gilmour brought Rick Wright back into the fold, since he was such an integral part of the band's musicality. And I'm not saying that Waters-less Floyd is comparable to prime Floyd. Just that it's no less so than Wright-less Floyd. If you would call AMLOR and DB both Gilmour solo albums (which is a fair criticism), then I would counter that TFC sounds far more like a Waters solo album than it does prime Floyd. JMO.

tinnox and Carserguev like this.
  20. kendo

kendo Forum Resident

Dark Side of the Moon, Wish You Were Here and Animals all used previously created material, stuff that had been around for years in some cases. It was what Floyd had come to rely on, lazy b*ggers. :)

21. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

I can't speak for others but to my ears there is a direct line particularly from Dark Side to Roger's latest solo album. He clearly had increasing control over the concept of all the albums from Dark Side onwards so there is no great leap between The Wall, Final Cut and Pros and Cons for example. Pink Floyd bleeds into Roger's solo career.

Therefore when I follow the music from one Floyd album to another, AMLOR just doesn't really fit in for me.

Billy Infinity likes this.
  22. I really like this album: i dont understand all the negativity towards it. It is all a matter of taste i guess

California Couple and ssmith3046 like this.
  23. xfilian

xfilian Forum Resident

That's just the thing - it isn't. Why? Because TFC was created by a core member of the band and was played by core members of the band (apart from drums on Two Suns). Granted Wright was missing but the people involved in creating the vast bulk of that record were all long terms members of Pink Floyd. That was not the case with AMLOR. It was not even a Gilmour solo album. It was Gilmour along with a bunch of hired hands writing and playing alongside him. People who had never been members of the band were involved in creating a facsimile Pink Floyd product and a pretty unconvincing one at that. Eric Stewart of 10cc was involved at one stage in trying to cobble together a concept for it but he eventually walked away. Roger McGough and Carole Pope also had fleeting involvements. Its a mess, a hodgepodge of ideas thrown at the wall hoping some will stick. It has no cohesion because of the lack of cohesiveness in its creation.

DTK and Zack like this.
  24. Zack

Zack Senior Member

Agree. Dave got lucky. The Pink Floyd brand is a powerful thing. Adding to your comment about TFC, it was a logical followup to the Wall, which was such a home run for Roger that his case for complete control of the band could not be denied. We may not have completely liked where he took the band but it's easy to see how and why he did it. Not the case with AMLOR, which didn't have any band dynamic to speak of.

25. Disagree; but thats the joy of music, its all about taste. I also dont get too hung up on the brand name of " Pink Floyd". AMLOR, for me is a super album and at the end of the day i dont really care who the band members are. I like the music.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.