Poll: How do you rate Pink Floyd's "A Momentary Lapse of Reason" album?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Johnny Reb, Aug 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

I'm curious as to how The Dark Side of the Moon scored?

2. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

It certainly isn't. It's a fantastic album that'll probably be the last one the OP will poll the masses on.

Johnny Reb and dkmonroe like this.
  3. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

We haven't done that one yet.

Johnny Reb likes this.
  4. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

Waters is just an ******* that's made great music.

5. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

I have this disc version! Even your copy says 'Made In Holland'.

c-eling likes this.
  6. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

This was the first Floyd album that I bought in real time and I really wanted Gilmour and co. rise to the occasion and recapture the mojo of days passed, but while they were obviously trying to harken back to the old days--from the Hipgnosis artwork to the atmospheric sound effects at the beginning--it just felt kind of empty and forced to me. This is a Gilmour solo album dressed up as Pink Floyd, much like the last album was basically a Waters album. One of their weakest efforts.

ronm, They Call Me M and dkmonroe like this.
  7. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

When I knew a new Floyd album was being released in 1987 I knew it wouldn't be as great as their earlier Waters Gilmour efforts. It always sounded like a dry effort but I was happy with it after repeated listens. It finally sunk in. Still like it 30 years later.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2017
  8. Felix Atagong

Felix Atagong Forum Resident

Is it true that Rick Wright is put as a full member of the band on the latest remaster? (I have the Discovery box but never opened the individual CDs.) I do remember when the disc came out there was a picture of Gilmour and Mason in the booklet, none of Rick Wright who was only listed as an additional 'session' musician.

altaeria likes this.
  9. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Rick's portrait was restored (apparently he was cropped out of the original photo) beginning with the 1994 MiniDisc release (!!) and most subsequent CD pressings have him on the spread as well, I believe

Billy Infinity and altaeria like this.
  10. A pretty solid effort, in my opinion. I like pretty much every single song on it except for "The Dogs of War"; on that song, everything is great until that god-awful and truly cancerous saxophone solo comes in, in my opinion, any brass instrument played in that sort of manner is probably the most cancerous and mentally and emotionally traumatizing thing any single piece of music can have. Anyway, despite that one big gripe I have, I think it's actually a very good album and I think it is definitely worth checking out. Too bad it lacks that top-notch recording craft that The Dark Side of the Moon, Wish You Were Here, and The Wall have; this is definitely their worst-sounding album, by far.

pantofis likes this.
  11. SonicBob

SonicBob Forum Resident

Taken in context as a "Floydian" David Gilmour record, it's pretty darn solid, and I like the second half much more than the first half of the recording. But, with that being said, I've never been a huge fan of the post-Waters formation. Mason, Wright and Gilmour were augmented by some very good musicians and collaborators no doubt, but Floyd stops for me at The Wall. I like the Final Cut, but it's really a Waters solo album with some help from Dave and Nick and that's kinda my view on Momentary Lapse; it's really a Gilmour solo effort with contributions from Nick, I don't think Rick played a note on it. But, anyway, as a Floyd album, it's so-so.

12. Solace

Solace Forum Resident

Was he actually cropped 'out' on that photo? When I saw the photo with the three of them (on the 1987 tour programme I think), it looked more like he'd been cropped 'in', that he wasn't actually in the original phot at all and was added later. Could just be my eyes playing tricks on me of course.

altaeria likes this.
  13. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

Somewhere in an alternate universe, Roger Waters & the rest of Floyd worked out their difference and never parted ways.

They go on to release several more records (perhaps with long periods of inactivity, driving fans insane?). This is not a record they make though.

14. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Haven't seen the photo program you mention, but the 1994–onwards Minidisc/CD version of said photo has been tinted and the background made 'flatter' compared to the cropped black-and-white version on the original LP... it does look like Rick's body has been pasted on top of Nicky, but that's not to say they weren't all in the photo before the touch-up alterations were made. We'd probably have to see David Bailey's negative or proof sheets from the original session to be sure

Last edited: Aug 4, 2017
    altaeria likes this.
  15. California Couple

California Couple dislike us on facebook

In their 2005 concert, Waters was definitely the most happy of all of them on stage. He was having a good time. He was the one who gathered them all together for the last bow.

Billy Infinity and coffeetime like this.
  16. Johnny Reb

Johnny Reb Résident du forum Thread Starter

Coming tomorrow to a thread near you: IS THERE ANYBODY OUT THERE?

coffeetime likes this.
  17. skisdlimit

skisdlimit Forum Resident

I voted "Lower-tier Floyd -- not good overall" mainly because other than the two lead singles ("Learning To Fly" and "On the Turning Away"), there is simply not much else here to keep me interested, and I would likely never have owned this had it not been in included in the Shine On box set, as I regard it as primarily a "hits-plus-filler" type of affair, which most Pink Floyd albums never really were. While AMLOR starts out promisingly enough (with the suitably ominous "Signs of Life" serving as a kind of extended intro for "Learning To Fly"), the suffocating production really bogs the whole thing down in a mire of 80's cliches, and dates it severely.

As for the rest of this set, my guess is that your enjoyment of it depends largely on how much a fan you are of David Gilmour's guitar playing, which I actually think is better showcased both on The Division Bell and apparently on live renditions of AMLOR material. Here, tracks like "Dogs of War" and "Yet Another Movie" (indeed!) make an attempt at epic-ness, but end up sounding like inferior Conan the Barbarian soundtrack bites without that film's (read: Basil Poledouris') classic timelessness (more like the horrid and hideously dated Ladyhawke soundtrack). "One Slip" almost perfectly lives up to its billing, except for the other tracks I mentioned, including "Terminal Frost" (which might have been a more accurate album title!), plus I agree with above comments regarding "A New Machine" being too much a retread of "Welcome To The Machine." That leaves the closing track ("Sorrow"), which like the opener also starts out great, but unfortunately doesn't end up going anywhere all that interesting, even though it is probably my third favorite here overall.

Dunno whether a remix would help this one or not. :shrug:

18. applejam101

applejam101 Humble Fan

FWIW, I like the album. I like it better than the Wall.

19. AlexDelarge

AlexDelarge Forum Resident

I am really in the minority here as I voted essential listening for Floyd fans. I, as a fan of Floyd, cant see my collection without it. I love the music, especially Gilmours guitar and the vibe of the album. Learning to Fly, Sorrow, Dogs of War, On the Turning Away....I would hate it if these songs neve happened. I was 15 when this came out (45 now) and maybe its just sentimental reasons that this album is dear to me as it was a soundtrack to so many great memories through my teen years.

20. Johnny Reb

Johnny Reb Résident du forum Thread Starter

21. The_Windmill

The_Windmill Forum Resident

It is pretty established among psychologist that your teenager's listenings are influencing your overall mature taste.
    Actually, I book I read went even further than that, stating that most people won't move that much from their teenage taste at all.
    (Which this forum seems to confirm pretty well).

Felix Atagong and tkl7 like this.
  22. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

I put worth recommending. I do think that it sounds less like a Pink Floyd record than a David solo effort, but I think it has some interesting ideas that have (strangely enough for an 80s album) aged fairly well. I was 13 when it came out, but it wasn't my first Pink Floyd record (The Wall).

23. Derek Slazenger

Derek Slazenger Specs, rugs & rock n roll

In a parallel universe, where Roger had remained on good terms and had some input on this record alongside Dave, it might have been one of the best albums ever made. I haven't played it for a few years but I do like it and it has a lot of merit as a 'good album' by any standards.

24. krlpuretone

krlpuretone Forum Resident

Love the artwork, hate the music contained within.
    PF as easy listening adult contemporary.

25. CybrKhatru

CybrKhatru Music is life.

A pretty solid effort - worth recommending

I probably like this more than most people. 1987 was the first time I saw Floyd and I dug this album when it was new.... aside from Dogs of War which I STILL don't like. :)

On The Turning Away and Sorrow are both classics, IMO.

Ramesh Gill likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.