Poll: How do you rate Pink Floyd's "A Momentary Lapse of Reason" album?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Johnny Reb, Aug 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

AMLOR an attempt at a Floyd 1987 album.
    They accomplished what they could without Roger. I'm sure if Roger had been involved it would have been a more complete better effort. David pulled together what he could, Roger is sorely missed on AMLOR.

Stil like AMLOR it's pure 80's bliss with all its warts and lacks there of.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
  2. vinyl diehard

vinyl diehard Two-Channel Forever

I recently revisited this album and now find it dated. I rated it not bad.

3. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

Not their best but always liked the album and always will.

4. vinyl diehard

vinyl diehard Two-Channel Forever

Correct, he isn't. However, it looks like over the career of the band he was allowed to take more and more artistic control over the band's direction. Where earlier in their career it seemed more of a "band" effort at writing.

5. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

The 80s sound ('the sound of cocaine' as I call it) is unpleasant and makes the songs no fun to listen to. The songs themselves deserve a better environment; I find it odd that people consider it sacrosanct for the creator of a piece of work to want to adjust something they created after the fact; of course they should remix it if they want to.

Radio KAOS is equally guilty. Even with Waters on board, whatever AMLOR would have been would still be an 80s-sounding Floyd album.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
  6. Psychedelic Good Trip

AMLOR with Waters, still it would have been a fun 80's Floyd venture. Just sayin'

7. Rockstar2112

Rockstar2112 Forum Resident

I like The Division Bell better, but all in all a not bad effort from a band trying to get back on it's feet. Quite a few outside collaborators & musicians involved. Originally just Gilmour & Mason, Wright came back late in the proceedings. Some very tasty guitar playing from Gilmour.

8. The_Windmill

The_Windmill Forum Resident

That's debatable and subject to personal preference.
    As above
    I was being overdramatic for the sake of it. They can do whatever they want; but in this specific case I'm not very excited about it, for the reasons I stated.

9. The_Windmill

The_Windmill Forum Resident

Curious thing, I never really cared to compare post-Roger era with the previous. That's maybe because I came from Genesis and when you like a band like that, in all its incarnations, as Phil would put it: "you learn to understand change".

Equally, "Roger's Floyd" and "Dave's Floyd" always felt like two different bands to me, as well as "Syd's Floyd" (which is - heresy! - my least favourite), or at least to different stages to be enjoyed as they are. I don't go to Lapse if I want a Meddle's feel, and viceversa.

Therefore, there's nothing "missing" to me in AMLOR. There is, at most, a pretty solid album with some stiffness in its lyrics, that was made by pretty competent band and equipe in that time frame.

10. Psychedelic Good Trip

Very well put. Agreed.

The_Windmill likes this.
  11. Psychedelic Good Trip

Gonna fire up new 2016 AMLOR vinyl tonight.

tinnox likes this.
  12. Clearly one of their worst. In fact, Endless River is the only other candidate for absolute worst Pink Floyd album.

13. Psychedelic Good Trip

Yikes!!!:yikes:

tinnox likes this.
  14. realmdemagic

realmdemagic Forum Resident

In all reality, The Endless River is just Division Bell outtakes. It isn't newly created material, and shouldn't be considered as a main studio album.

Rockstar2112 and The_Windmill like this.
  15. Ron2112

Ron2112 Forum Resident

Yep.....both albums are clearly a product of their times. That said, simply getting rid of the infinite reverb on the snare drum would go a loooong way towards "de-eightiesizing" AMOLR. Not my favorite Floyd record, but the great moments are still stellar, and it easily holds it's own in the PF catalog.

16. DolphinsIntheJacuzzi

DolphinsIntheJacuzzi Forum Resident

Me too. That album would be:

Learning to Fly
    Dogs of War
    One Slip
    On the Turning Away
    Sorrow
    What Do You Want From Me
    A Great Day For Freedom
    Take It Back
    Coming Back to Life
    Keep Talking
    High Hopes

As such, this "album" rates fairly high in my Pink Floyd discography. Better, actually, than much of the material between Piper and DSOTM, IMO (excepting Meddle, of course).

mbrownp1 likes this.
  17. DolphinsIntheJacuzzi

Yeah. Talk about barrel-scraping. It should have been a bonus disc on a DB reissue, not its own album.

18. DolphinsIntheJacuzzi

It's a so-so album, but if you switched out "Signs of Life" and "Sorrow," side A would be one of their stronger album sides, IMO.

19. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

[​IMG]

A boring David Gilmour solo album that he got Nick and Rick to play on and put out under the PF name. It bored me when it came out and I haven't listened to it in ages.

ronm and Zoot Marimba like this.
  20. Audioresearch

Audioresearch Forum Resident

I like the album, but I think it is not one of their best.

21. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

But was it all worth it? I don't just mean the cost to make it or the lawyers it cost to allow them to use the Floyd name. What about the human cost? The almost irreparable friendships.

Whatever you think of the music, if it had been billed exactly for what it was - a Gilmour solo album then maybe, just maybe, the door may have been open for Roger to come back into the fold sooner and for more than 20 minutes!

DrBeatle likes this.
  22. Psychedelic Good Trip

23. mando_dan

mando_dan Forum Resident

Pretty dreadful. I tried to keep an open mind when I bought the cassette just after release and man was I ever disappointed. Roger's description of it as a pretty fair forgery was spot on unfortunately. The sound was sort of right but here was no backbone to it- nothing tugid, nothing that grabbed you, nothing of interest. Not my PF.

Funny how PF was a two person band at this point!

Tristero and DrBeatle like this.
  24. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

I never listen to this album, but I would recommend it to someone to hear once. The material was much more enjoyable in a live setting.

25. Oliver

Oliver Bourbon Infused

In High School I bought AMLOR as my first PF purchase in real time. Liked it quite a bit. Didn't age for me well. However if I do listen to it now I at least appreciate it as NOT sounding necessarily like a Pink Floyd album (which it gets accused of trying to sound like). It's just kind of weird and all over the place. One Slip sound more like 80's King Crimson than Pink Floyd. Sorrow doesn't really sound like anything from PF except maybe the darker stuff of the Wall but again it goes into other territory as well. Terminal Frost sounds like some Windham Hill label new age instrumental lol...
    That said still don't think it's a great album (or even a really good album) however I do find it more interesting than the more highly acclaimed it seems Division Bell. To me that is the one that is really boring for me and surprised it's the album that supposedly goes back to the "real" Floyd sound. Doesn't sound like it to me. In the end it really doesn't matter anyways as my full enjoyment and total acknowledgement of Floyd pretty much stops after the Final Cut anyways .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.