Poll: How do you rate Pink Floyd's "Delicate Sound of Thunder" album?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Johnny Reb, Jul 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Johnny Reb

Johnny Reb RĂ©sident du forum Thread Starter

It's time for live album #2 of our series!

The rules for this series: this poll is designed for people familiar with the album in question and with at least some familiarity with some of their other catalog (for comparison purposes). If the poll doesn't interest you, please kindly move on to a thread that does. Please simply consider how YOU would rate the album in question, in comparison with the rest of the Floyd's discography! And as always, a shout-out to member mrjinks for creating all the groundwork for this series.

Note: this is the second of three live albums in our series of polls. Please use the same criteria for rating these as the studio albums.

So, how do YOU rate this album?

Album history: "Delicate Sound of Thunder is a double live album by the English progressive rock band Pink Floyd which was recorded over five nights at the Nassau Coliseum on Long Island, New York in August 1988 and mixed at Abbey Road Studios in September 1988. It was released on 22 November 1988, through EMI Records in the United Kingdom and Columbia Records in the United States." It was also released as a concert video with some changes to the setlist.

Tracklist:
    1-1. Shine On You Crazy Diamond 11:53
    1-2. Learning To Fly 5:27
    1-3. Yet Another Movie 6:21
    1-4. Round And Around 0:33
    1-5. Sorrow 9:28
    1-6. The Dogs Of War 7:18
    1-7. On The Turning Away 7:58
    2-1. One Of These Days 6:15
    2-2. Time 5:16
    2-3. Wish You Were Here 4:49
    2-4. Us And Them 7:22
    2-5. Money 9:52
    2-6. Another Brick In The Wall (Part II) 5:28
    2-7. Comfortably Numb 8:56
    2-8. Run Like Hell 7:12

[​IMG]

Previous polls:
    The Piper at the Gates of Dawn. Currently 508 people have voted, with an average of 4.24.
    A Saucerful of Secrets. Currently 317 people have voted, with an average of 3.76.
    Ummagumma. Currently 398 people have voted, with an average of 3.07.
    Atom Heart Mother. Currently 378 people have voted, with an average of 3.70.
    Obscured by Clouds. Currently 392 people have voted, with an average of 3.88.
    Wish You Were Here. Currently 651 people have voted, with an average of 4.78.
    The Wall. Currently 803 people have voted, with an average of 4.00.
    The Final Cut. Currently 523 people have voted, with an average of 3.08.
    The Division Bell. Currently 419 people have voted, with an average of 3.27.
    Pulse. Currently 281 people have voted, with an average of 3.33.
    The Endless River. Currently 405 people have voted, with an average of 2.53.

2. Heavy Music

Heavy Music Forum Resident

I like the performances on this recording. I saw the VHS of this concert before obtaining the cd's. Too bad the common bootleg DVD of this concert is piss-poor (both audio & video). A few years ago I found a Japanese DVD issue of this, CMV/CBS/Sony #42DVD136 and it is much improved over the boot!

3. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Middle ground. The versions of the 5 songs from Momentary Lapse are all improvements.

The older songs have no features that would make me listen to these instead of the originals, though I enjoyed watching the VHS of them at the time - really the first video we got of most of their 70s material.

Also prefer the Pulse versions of the stuff on both.

Did the VHS track list differ with this as was the case with Pulse?

Last edited: Jul 19, 2017
    btomarra, RangerXT, Rojo and 2 others like this.
  4. Dr. Mudd

Dr. Mudd Audient

Lower tier.

DrBeatle likes this.
  5. amonjamesduul

amonjamesduul Forum Resident

Played this to death when it came out,"A live Pink Floyd album!!"...since then it don't get much play I must admit,a good representation of that tour tho.

RangerXT, kendo and andrewskyDE like this.
  6. CirculationUnderflow

CirculationUnderflow Well-Known Member

No Waters No Floyd, been my rule since 84, it aint gonna change now

Vanja, DrBeatle, DTK and 6 others like this.
  7. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

I like the song Learning to Fly. That's about it.

8. CirculationUnderflow

CirculationUnderflow Well-Known Member

SOrrow is good gilmour solo as are a few others on this album. Curious how people felt about the first 2 gilmour solos. I liked them very much, very much more than his non waters floyd efforts. Murder off about face is pretty kick ass

9. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Dullsville. Lame set list, sterile performances. Even Hipgnosis appears to be phoning it in with the artwork. The Momentary Lapse stuff comes across a little better, but that's not enough of an incentive for me.

stax o' wax, PDK, dsky and 1 other person like this.
  10. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

Saw that tour in Ottawa. Opener was..............Echoes, not SOYCD.

Love this vinyl. All versions are excellent, best version of Comfortably numb IMO. Rated it solid

andrewskyDE and Bingo Bongo like this.
  11. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

So so. Would have been MUCH better without mullet-hair-groan-after-every-exhale-sax-guy.

12. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Lower-tier. Can't call it "worst" since I'm sure there's some stirring Gilmour moments there, but all the post-Roger live recordings are dull to me. Too slick, too many extra musicians and singers. Roger's own live performances of the same material suffer from the same problems actually.

13. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I got the soundboard tapes with the missing songs. "Welcome to the Machine" should have been included.

14. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

It was the first thought I had - Man that cover artwork hasn't aged well..... :D

15. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

Don't like it. At all.

Gilmour sounds bored as hell when he sings, and the band is clinical and passionless. And since I can't tell whether it's Wright or Carin doing the keyboard work (haven't seen the film), that adds another layer of ambiguity that does it no favours.

dkmonroe likes this.
  16. SonicBob

SonicBob Forum Resident

Haven't listened to this in a LONG while. I used to own it on disc back in '89 or so and have since got rid of it. I don't know, at the time, I probably liked it, I'd have to give it a listen again, but doubt if I'd buy it again, put it that way.

17. Big Pasi

Big Pasi Forum Resident

This was my introduction to Floyd. That's why it's a bit special, altough it's not that "good" (anymore).

But the Momentary-songs are better than their studio versions.

And even with the Gary Wallis-fills I like Shine On quite a lot!

RangerXT, moodyxadi, LarsO and 2 others like this.
  18. Sevoflurane

Sevoflurane Forum Resident

This was also one of the first bits of Floyd I listened to so I went for solid effort. I'd love an official DVD / BD release, but it seems unlikely as I think Gilmour doesn't hold the album in high regard.

19. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

Cover: Suit of Lights. That's the term for a matador's costume. Matador fights Bull.
    Other guy is a man atop a hill and is obviously for the birds.
    Gilmour v. Waters via Hipgnosis

20. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

Loved it once upon a time, nowadays I can't stand it. It just sounds so dated, horrible bass playing, dreadful drum sound, the sax player. ughhh..

Shaddam IV and GowG like this.
  21. cmi

cmi Forum Resident

Excellent performances, but the album will be much better if the whole set list of the show was presented. Since 2015 listening only to the hybrid version of CD/LP/LD created by myself which restores almost the whole set list.

Very enjoyable listening experience. The Great In The Sky is the perfect performance by the girls and the band. It's really shame that such great arrangement version of 'Welcome To The Machine' was completely omitted from all DSOT releases.

moodyxadi and andrewskyDE like this.
  22. The Bishop

The Bishop Forum Resident

Roger Waters was right. when he described A Momentary Lapse Of Reason, as a clever forgery. But for what it is, Pink Floyd lite, I really love it. I know it's not the real thing, but I'm an unashamed fan of that album. Likewise, The Delicate Sound Of Thunder. It's beautifully played Pink Floyd music, and I absolutely loved it updated for the 1980s. Of course, that means it's dated as hell now, but every now and then, I like to time travel back to the 1980s, so the music's always there for me. I love the funky version of Money best, and the liberties they took with the song. Obviously not essential listening, but a solid effort all the same. Count me in as a Gilmour man.

23. I have not listened to it in quite a while. Its a good album though; not their best but worth owning.

andrewskyDE likes this.
  24. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

"Pretty solid--worth recommending"

Captures live mid-later 80s Floyd well, and Floyd still had a fair amount of "magic" left to them live during that era.

I like that the setlist has a big chunk of Momentary Lapse, but I wish that the selection of older material had been more adventurous . . . heck, there's not even an Animals tune. You instead get 3 from Dark Side, 3 from The Wall, 2 from Wish You Were Here, 1 from Meddle, and that's it.

I like the cover art a lot, too.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2017
    wayneklein and andrewskyDE like this.
  25. penguinzzz

penguinzzz Forum Resident

To me this is the sound of a man who hit 40 and hit the jackpot. For the first time he was able to play endless sold out stadiums and arenas without anyone agonising whether it was right to do so, and without having to worry whether the many musicians around him were capable of putting in a routinely professional performance. And of course he was able to enjoy the fruits of an 80's touring lifestyle without people moaning about his hair.

The music is obviously functional in bringing about all of the above. But the things that I liked about Pink Floyd are all absent, so it's the lowest score from me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.