Poll: How do you rate Pink Floyd's "More" album?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Johnny Reb, Jul 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Johnny Reb

Johnny Reb Résident du forum Thread Starter

Okay, the title may be Original Motion Picture Soundtrack From The Film "More", Soundtrack From The Film "More", Music From The Film "More", Music From The Motion Picture "More", or simply More, so I opted for the shortest one!

The rules for this series: this poll is designed for people familiar with the album in question and with at least some familiarity with some of their other catalog (for comparison purposes). If the poll doesn't interest you, please kindly move on to a thread that does. Please simply consider how YOU would rate the album in question, in comparison with the rest of the Floyd's discography! And as always, a shout-out to member mrjinks for creating all the groundwork for this series.

So, how do YOU rate this album?

Album history: "More is the first full-length soundtrack album, and third studio album, by the English rock band Pink Floyd, released on 15 June 1969 in the United Kingdom by EMI Columbia and on 9 August 1969 by Tower Records a subsidiary label of Capitol Records in the United States as Original Motion Picture Soundtrack from the film More.[1][2] It is the first album by the band to be released by Capitol internationally. The film More was made in Luxembourg in 1969 and was directed by Barbet Schroeder."

Tracklist:
    1. Cirrus Minor 5:18
    2. The Nile Song 3:26
    3. Crying Song 3:33
    4. Up The Khyber 2:12
    5. Green Is The Colour 2:58
    6. Cymbaline 4:50
    7. Party Sequence 1:07
    8. Main Theme 5:27
    9. Ibiza Bar 3:19
    10. More Blues 2:12
    11. Quicksilver 7:13
    12. A Spanish Piece 1:05
    13. Dramatic Theme 2:15

[​IMG]

Previous polls:
    The Piper at the Gates of Dawn. Currently 511 people have voted, with an average of 4.25.
    A Saucerful of Secrets. Currently 321 people have voted, with an average of 3.77.
    Ummagumma. Currently 401 people have voted, with an average of 3.08.
    Atom Heart Mother. Currently 403 people have voted, with an average of 3.70.
    Obscured by Clouds. Currently 396 people have voted, with an average of 3.88.
    Wish You Were Here. Currently 657 people have voted, with an average of 4.78.
    The Wall. Currently 806 people have voted, with an average of 4.00.
    The Final Cut. Currently 538 people have voted, with an average of 3.09.
    Delicate Sound of Thunder. Currently 224 people have voted, with an average of 2.90.
    The Division Bell. Currently 426 people have voted, with an average of 3.27.
    Pulse. Currently 288 people have voted, with an average of 3.32.
    The Endless River. Currently 414 people have voted, with an average of 2.52.

2. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

It's okay. Feels like a step down from Piper or even Saucerful, but as far as Pink Floyd albums go, you can do worse.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2017
    elaterium and Larry L like this.
  3. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

I can't go so far as to call this "essential". It's a little to uneven with some of the little atmospheric soundtrack pieces, but still I've really come to embrace this one as an overlooked gem and an important transitional effort. You get some unusual oddities like their forays into proto-stoner metal ("The Nile Song", "Ibiza Bar"), as well as an uncharacteristically sweet ballad ("Green is the Color"). Tracks like "Cymballine" and "Cirrus Minor" are classic early post-Syd Floyd, moody and haunting. The "Main Theme" here has to be one of my favorite things that they every did with that hypnotic groove and Rick's tasteful Farfisa playing creating a chilling ambience. As I mentioned in the Ummagumma thread, if you take the best material from these two albums--a la "The Man & the Journey"--you would have a very strong third Floyd album, but the way that they split up the material between this sound track and the experimental solo pieces on Ummagumma made it more difficult to absorb.

4. mooseman

mooseman Forum Resident

I like all the soundtrack albums, this one is the best of the lot for me.

5. The Revealer

The Revealer Forum Status: Paused Indefinitely

Love it. Must have.

There's a reason that Floyd is acceptable to groove rockers who generally go for hard rock riff bands. The very definition of Stoner Rock is on this record. [Though Obscured by Clouds nailed it front to back.]

I would feel like I was missing something not having this in my collection.

6. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

Sometimes More is less...

;)

isabelle and Shaddam IV like this.
  7. The Bishop

The Bishop Forum Resident

Not an album I listen to very often, but essential listening for anyone getting into Pink Floyd.

Interesting to see how they were developing.

isabelle, Szeppelin75 and andrewskyDE like this.
  8. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

Essential for me.

9. owsley

owsley Senior Member

Three great songs: Ibiza Bar, Nile Song, Cirrus Minor. Worth getting the lp for these three. I never play the others, rather weak compositions.

10. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Somewhere between 'Essential' and 'Solid effort' to me. The music on the album is great, very experimental.
    The last Floyd album I got to know (not counting The Endless River later) and loved it from start on.
    I once watched the related film of it and liked it much more than La Vallée btw.

isabelle, polchik and Chrome_Head like this.
  11. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

A pretty solid effort although, like AHM, I still insist that it's "essential" if you really want to get into Pink Floyd. The only thing that makes it not 100% among their best is the preponderance of instrumentals, some which are fairly sketchy. The actual songs are all fantastic except for "Ibiza Bar," which is an inferior rewrite of "The Nile Song." And shamefully, "Ibiza Bar" is clearly in true stereo while "The Nile Song" is in some kinda half-baked fake stereo. Recent reissues have narrowed it to semi-mono, which is an improvement, but still, WTH?

But these songs more than make for an essential Floyd album:

Cirrus Minor
    The Nile Song
    Crying Song
    Green Is The Colour
    Cymbaline

Most of the instrumentals are still good (especially "Up The Khyber"), but just think if More were a 5-song EP, that would have been classic! Two of the songs ("Green Is The Colour" and "Cymbaline") went on to be concert staples for years and that's a pretty good haul for a soundtrack album.

Anyway, I think it really is necessary to hear these early semi-noodly albums in order to understand how the Floyd went from Piper to Dark Side. And More is a lovely summer album to be enjoyed with a glass of wine or some other relaxing substance in the mid-afternoon.

12. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

Just had both sides of my 2016 remaster of this on the TT yesterday, funny enough (weekends seem to be prime Floyd-listening time for me).

My appreciation of this varies greatly depending on my mood.

Long story short: I find this one essential as the link between their breaking away from the early Syd / psych sound and their moving on to a newer approach.

I think this record makes much better use of Gilmour on lead guitar and vocals than Saucerful did, as well.

"The Nile Song" and "Ibiza Bar" rock mightily.

"More Blues" and "Dramatic Theme" are very cool, very classically Floyd-ian to me.

I like the gentle folk of "Green Is The Color" and "Cirrus Minor". "Cymbaline" is a standout. Waters upped his songwriting game on here in a big way, I think.

Great musical variety to be found throughout, here. About the only ones I could do without are "Quicksilver" and the cringe-worthy "A Spanish Piece".

The 2016 remaster is very rich-sounding; I feel like they could only do so much with tracks like "The Nile Song", but "Crying Song" sounds outstanding on it. I also gained a new appreciation for "Main Theme", which now sounds almost like proto-krautrock to me.

Have to go with "pretty solid--worth recommending".

It's not essential listening like a few others in their catalog. Instead, it's like a nice dessert after one has gorged on the buffet of their main albums.

13. dkmonroe

"Cymbaline" is indeed a brilliant song and one of Roger's most convincing psychedelic/surrealistic lyrics. David's vocal delivery is spooky-good.

14. Chrome_Head

I like it up to Gilmour's corny scat-singing towards the end, but now I couldn't even imagine the song without that, in a weird way.

It's a very unique song in the Floyd canon, I think.

dkmonroe likes this.
  15. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

Not my favorite of theirs, but it's a good atmospheric soundtrack album that always makes for good listening.

16. dkmonroe

Y'know, it has literally never occurred to me how weird and kinda goofy that scat thing is! :laugh:

What can I say - my best friend in high school was a Floyd freak and he convinced me that everything they did was brilliant. And I drank every drop of that kool-aid!

andrewskyDE and Chrome_Head like this.
  17. Chrome_Head

And yet it absolutely fits the vibe of the song in a weird way--almost as if they're taking the piss out of louche, loungy and comfortable pop / theater / movie soundtrack music.

andrewskyDE and dkmonroe like this.
  18. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Not bad. Has some epic tracks like Cymbaline and Cyrus Minor but also has trivial things like Spanish Piece so I cant rank it any higher.

19. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

It was one of the last PF albums I got but it is my definite favorite. The ones that come closest to it are Obscured By Clouds and Meddle. Quicksilver is the one weak spot.

The film is terrible, but worth struggling through for a couple tracks thst vary from the album versions and/or are unique to the film.

Nice that Gilmour does so much of the lead singing here, even on Waters compositions. And so much great guitar playing. A real shining moment for him.

20. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

So-so. I also think its an album for diehard fans. Its not a PF album I reach for very often, there's nothing that really stands out for me on this one. Its nearly a "solid effort," in fact my original vote said just that, but I can't justify rating it that high.

Shaddam IV likes this.
  21. dkmonroe

Now playing: "Cirrus Minor"

This is one of Rick Wright's absolute best tracks IMHO. I love the watery washes of organ during the verses.

Rick's organ is kinda like the lead instrument on this track!

22. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Essential Floyd.

pablo fanques and andrewskyDE like this.
  23. tedhead

tedhead Forum Resident

Great experimental psychedelic ambient tracks, great psych-folk songs by Waters, and two great early heavy/stoner metal tracks. I love it.

24. mrgroove01

mrgroove01 Still looking through bent-backed tulips

Pretty solid. "Green Is The Colour"' "Cymbaline", "The Nile Song" and "Ibiza Bar" are essential Floyd tracks and I like "Cirrus Minor" but it's not essential. The rest is varying degrees of filler.

Shaddam IV likes this.
  25. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Not bad. I like this sort of arty "avant-garde" period of the band. I prefer the More soundtrack to everything after Wish You Were Here for example.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.