Poll: How do you rate Pink Floyd's "Pulse" album?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Johnny Reb, May 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kristofa

Kristofa Enthusiast of small convenient sound carrier units

Yes. That is a really good point.

ARK likes this.
  2. petercl

petercl Forum Resident

I can't call it "One of their best works" but i do think it is an excellent live album. I got the vinyl and cd on day 1, and I still listen to it all the time. The DVD is also great.

3. Khamakhazee

Khamakhazee Forum Resident

I saw them during that tour but have never actually listened to all of Pulse in one sitting.

4. Olias of Sunhill

Olias of Sunhill Forum Resident

I loved it until the battery died... now I think it stinks!

J/k, of course. I like it because this is the only incarnation of the band I was fortunate to see live (I was 19). The album largely jives with my recollection of the show I saw.

Billy Infinity, ohnothimagen and PDK like this.
  5. Pretty much forgettable. The track list, with the exception of Astronomy Domine, is a bore for me. These live versions don't stretch out much from their studio counterparts. Pointless.

BDC, Oliver and Rufus rag like this.
  6. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

BEST EVER GILMOUR SOLO on "Comfortably Numb"

nuff said

kanakaris, Rocat, Johnny Reb and 3 others like this.
  7. mastaflatch

mastaflatch God's Only Nose

Thanks for that - I hadn't listened to it in way more than a decade. I think this used to be part of the ambience sounds swirling around stadiums on that tour before the show started.
    Now on this wonderful forum, there must be someone able to decipher the morse code at the end of this? Maybe it's the answer to the Publius Enigma :o

andrewskyDE likes this.
  8. oneslip17

oneslip17 Forum Resident

PULSE is a frustrating release for me. I really wish they would have released an album of tracks recorded in the North American leg of the tour, instead of Europe where it seems they started to get a bit bored - musically speaking.

tedhead and Larry Schmidt like this.
  9. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Am listening for the first time now. I think it's going to be hard to rate a live album, as an abstract exercise (looking back), but will give it a shot.

Johnny Reb likes this.
  10. wileycoyote

wileycoyote Forum Resident

A solid effort. My go to for live Pink Floyd.

11. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Not bad, for me.

12. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

I'll tell you what, "Money" is really good! ...hmm, wasn't expecting that.

13. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

Much prefer the DVD. The live version of "Run Like Hell" is great, but I also like "One Of These Days".

andrewskyDE and Rhapsody In Red like this.
  14. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

I'd forgotten about the vinyl version. That's the one to get to enjoy the artwork. Mine is stashed away somewhere, but the huge book is definitely nice to look at.

GyroSE likes this.
  15. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

Just remembered that for about four years, I had the in-store standing display rack for the album, and used it as a place to house meagre CD collection.

Had to walk it through a busy shopping centre in Slough after I was given it by the HMV staff. That thing was enormous- like 1.5m x 75cm. They also threw in a double jewel-case with reproduced/adapted artwork. Don't think I've ever seen one of those anywhere else, and can't find any photos online.

I really wish I'd kept it.

16. PinkIsTheSky

PinkIsTheSky Old Blues Man

After heavily getting into their bootlegs and shows from the early 70's, and of course seeing Pompeii, I couldn't help but see this DVD as the demise of the once great and soulful Pink Floyd. It was like watching an over commercialized pop show. A far cry from a 4 member rock band that I grew to love so much. Made me a bit sad to be honest.

Essentially I would have been better off not seeing it at all. Pompeii is my definitive Live Album/Movie.

PDK and Kristofa like this.
  17. grimble

grimble Forum Resident

Queensmere! Before HMV there was a great Our Price in that shopping centre. I used to walk though it every day on the way home from school.

18. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

One and the same. In its heyday, that was a really good HMV. Can't say I've seen the inside of Queensmere for a few years, but it's safe to say HMV is gone.

There was also a record shop by the entrance on the plaza next to the cinema. I bought a cassette of Amused To Death in there.

19. Audionerd

Audionerd Forum Resident

Wow, a few people saying this, and it's the one I still haven't seen! I've got all their studio releases- multiple versions of some, many versions of DSOTM- but no Pompeii. Added to my list.

And for the thread, Pulse is solid but there's a '94 Lyon boot that smokes it. Gilmour rips through Comfortably Numb in some of my favorite DG playing.

PinkIsTheSky likes this.
  20. Big Pasi

Big Pasi Forum Resident

I've had this cd since the mid 90's, and listened to it just a couple of days ago.

I really dig the "rawness" of it. Especially Sorrow, Keep Talking, One Of These Days and Run Like Hell are incredible!
    :goodie:

21. Lower-tier Floyd for me. Uninspired versions of the band's classics next to poor Gilmour-era material, everything here is blown away by the studio originals. No enthusiasm, no energy, no surprises. Better than Delicate Sound Of Thunder, but only slightly.

PinkIsTheSky likes this.
  22. seilerbird

seilerbird Forum Resident

23. grimble

grimble Forum Resident

there were a couple there at one time or another. One small one on the corner by the entrance doors around 1990 and another really good one in a very similar place a few doors in, around 1985. That store got a lot of limited edition releases. Around thar time a lot 2x7" double packs were released. I remember getting Lloyd Cole's 'Cut Me Down' and The Long Riders 'Looking for Lewis & Clark' in that double single format there.

Zeki likes this.
  24. PDK

PDK Forum Resident

I bought it for song #2 and was not disappointed. It's a very decent album... but who wants decent when "great" is an option elsewhere. Time is expensive.

25. Rufus rag

Rufus rag Forum Resident

The post Waters songs drag it down a bit and Gilmour voice is strained at times. Could never get use to him singing Waters lines!
    Good effort but far from solid. Wouldn't make my top 50 live albums list!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.