POLL: How has your streaming usage changed, in the last several years?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gaslight, Jul 21, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑ Thread Starter

Given that streaming usage, for the general music consumer, has increased sharply in the last several years, was curious how those numbers equate here on the forum.

Assume that by "streaming" I mean Spotify, Tidal etc, but not YouTube (yes, I know it's technically streaming but I'm looking for dedicated music service usage information).

My own answer : I have probably increased slightly as I'm leveraging T-Mobile unlimited data plans, a larger capacity smartphone where I can add music offline + the Tidal app. But I'm still purchasing a lot of physical media and digital files also.

What about you?

GreenDrazi and lightbulb like this.
  2. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

Never stream.....never intend to (I have tried before anyone asks).....once physical format (CD) stops I will be content with what I already own.

3. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

Very rarely. I tried Spotify for a free trial to hear the Michael Nesmith reissues when they first came out and to find a song by the California Poppy Pickers (of all things!). That was over a year ago.

4. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Not interested in streaming.

musicfan37 and dadonred like this.
  5. BadJack

BadJack doorman who always high-fives children of divorce

I listen to Amazon Music almost all day while at work, occasionally Pandora in the hopes that I'll discover something good that I haven't heard.

The biggest impact on my purchase of physical media is that I never do a blind buy anymore, which is a good thing in my mind, but generally I will buy a CD or vinyl record if I like what I hear.

6. RickH

RickH Connoisseur of deep album cuts

Streaming usage has increased heavily

Chrome_Head likes this.
  7. nodeerforamonth

nodeerforamonth Consistently misunderstood

I just moved. I had to put about 3,500 CDs into storage (keeping the other 2,000). Just moving the 2,000 CDs was a pain. And I don't listen to them all the time. I'm giving streaming more of a chance, mainly due to space considerations.

Naughty Chord likes this.
  8. Weirdomusic

Weirdomusic Forum Resident

Streaming usage has increased heavily / purchases have decreased heavily.

9. Freedom Rider

Freedom Rider Senior Member

I'd say, "generally unchanged." Probably even decreased slightly as I've naturally learned to keep my listening under control after I realized too much music is not always a good thing - oversaturation can happen pretty fast.

Using streaming mostly to check out new artists/albums, explore some old/obscure stuff.. also for some casual listening now and then.

Naughty Chord likes this.
  10. Wild Horse

Wild Horse Forum Resident

I buy used vinyl albums, but my collection is pretty saturated at this point. I sold my CDs about 10 years ago after ripping them to 320 kbps MP3s. I haven't bought a CD in over 10 years, and I don't miss them.

I stream on Spotify when I'm not listening to my vinyl albums or MP3s.

funknik likes this.
  11. Gaslight

One add here that I forgot to mention : if you're streaming your purchased music via a NAS or cloud service offering where you upload the files, I still would count that as purchased music.

The term "streaming" here is meant to mean services like Spotify where the music you are listening is what they offer, not something that was sourced from your collection.

12. jhershauer

jhershauer Forum Resident

• Streaming has increased heavily, purchases have increased heavily.
    I almost never stream on my main listening system. It's LP, CD or FLAC from a USB stick. That being said, I stream music all the time on my phone with headphones or earbuds. It's such a blessing to have almost any music I want wherever I go, and to be able to "try before I buy" when discovering new stuff.

I buy more now that I have Apple Music than I did before it existed. Basically...the increased streaming fuels more purchases because I'm discovering more albums that I want to listen to on my main rig.

Granted, the increased purchasing is also related to my kids getting older and almost being out of the house, so I have more time to sit in front of the stereo than I have since before they were born.

13. pig bodine

pig bodine God’s Consolation Prize

Stream only occasionally ( my kids have Spotify) and purchasing has dwindled to a few (less than five) purchases a year and 4 out of the five are reissues.

14. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

I voted Other.
    I'm streaming more, but also hearing more new music than I ever would have without it. Therefore, I am buying more.

15. 131east23

131east23 Person of Interest

I'm down with this. I could be happy the rest of my life with what I own now. I put all my faith in my LP's and the audio gear that I have revived and mechanically understand. I should probably have my amp gone through by a pro sometime in the next few years though, then it'll be good for another fifty years or so.

blueslover99 and Kiss73 like this.
  16. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Within last year or so I
    - got unlimited data plan
    - upgraded to paid Spotify account
    - started dating someone who is hooked on Spotify and using BlueTooth speakers

Purchases have dropped by at least 50%

audiomixer likes this.
  17. Damien DiAngelo

Damien DiAngelo Forum Resident

I only stream to check out new songs & artists. I will also stream an earworm to get it out of my head.
    If I like something A LOT before I get the LP or CD, I will rip the audio any way I can and listen to those files until I get legit rips/LPs/CDs.

I still much prefer to have physical versions & files that I can play when I want.
    I have music playing all day at work. I have something like 1,000 albums on my computer's drive. I know what I have, and I know it will be there unless the computer dies. No worrying about if it's on Spotify/Pandora/YouTube.

18. 131east23

131east23 Person of Interest

I will add, that when I find a new band or artist I like, I go all in and buy physical format from their site only. If it comes with a download, that's cool.

19. Gaslight

Yep, I can see that. And I would say that, earlier in the 10's this would have been my answer too, probably should have added a section for it.

I've definitely gotten a little more picky in the last few years though, as it's just a matter of shelf space plus keeping my internal collection in check. If I think the album I'm streaming will be more "in today / out tomorrow" I generally won't purchase it, but of course it's hard to know what's going to stick.

I'll still err on the side of "buy it" if I'm unsure.

Naughty Chord and jhershauer like this.
  20. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

Same here. I'll hear something, get excited about it, but I'm never sure if it's just a passing fancy or the real thing. But like you, I'll buy it, especially if it's a new band on a small label.
    Space considerations also enter into it for me.

21. vonwegen

vonwegen Forum Resident

I find it totally unlistenable. Dynamically compressed into screechy sonic warfare, nothing less.

22. bcaulf

bcaulf Forum Resident

I go against the trend of peers my age and don't stream. I think of it every once in a while but I like everything kept in one place and there are some artists/albums I like not available on streaming services so I would be annoyed to have to go back to my iTunes just to listen to those artists; I want everything consolidated. I also like the control of ripping/compressing my own music, and choosing which edition of the cd I want to buy instead of being forced to rely on the "remaster" that's likely on the streaming service.

DesertHermit likes this.
  23. nick99nack

nick99nack Forum Resident

I stream albums every so often just to see if I want to purchase a real copy of it.

24. dbone828

dbone828 Only Visiting This Planet

Other: I stream a lot more (mostly just from desktop), now that I know how accessible it is, and how great a way it is to check out artists I am curious about. I still buy just as many albums as I did before, and while I prefer the CD format, I will sometimes opt for an iTunes download instead if it costs 3x as much to get a CD. I do a lot of my music listening on an iPod, and haven't used an actual CD player in years.

25. fatwad666

fatwad666 Forum Resident

Other: way less filesharing downloads, way more streaming. Then got into buying CDs in the last few years, specifically for releases and masterings unavailable on filesharing and streaming.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.