Poll: How much did you pay for your turntable?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Ghostworld, Jan 14, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. malco49

malco49 Forum Resident

$350 for TT back in 2004.pro-ject debut lll with ortofon OM 5.
    over the years upgrades have brought in into the $800 range.
    have been thinking about new TT but think i will keep it(it sounds great) and just get another OM 20 stylus or maybe go for an OM 30 in the next few months.

2. Buddy>Elvis

Buddy>Elvis Senior Member

Works out to be just over US$7000 after currency conversion. I'm by no means wealthy and saved up for a couple of years to get it.
    VPI Classic Signature, 3D arm, Rosewood finish. I have a Dynavector 10x5 on it.

Obviously a lot cheaper in the USA but no regrets thus far. Upgraded from a Thorens TD810 which would have been in the US$1500 range and have noticed a big difference in sound and reduction of fatigue. Not saying it's five times better or anything like that.

Dennis0675 likes this.
  3. Linto

Linto Mayor of Simpleton

The story of my broomstick LP12

Bought Linn Basik TT for £180 from cash convertors
    Swapped that and £140 for 1980s LP12/Valhalla/Ittok/Miltek Olympia in Ash plinth.

Starting working for Linn dealer and upgraded
    Plinth to black plinth
    Arm to Ekos 2
    Cirkus bearing kit
    Power Supply to Lingo 2
    Cartridge to used Lyra Clavis DC, then retipped by ESC
    that lot cost only about £1500 and was 12 years ago, I haven't changed a thing since.

royzak2000 and Jimi Floyd like this.
  4. efraley

efraley Forum Resident

Bought a red plinth Music Hall from Music Direct on sale for $299 several ears ago. It hasn't failed me yet!

5. Jimi Floyd

Jimi Floyd Forum Resident

Class act all the way

Linto likes this.
  6. DonC1965

DonC1965 Forum Resident

If memory serves correctly, I believe I spent $375 for my AR "The Turntable" back in 1984. Still in beatiful condition and with regular maintenance, still plays fine. It's probably the only piece of equipment I own that I could sell at a profit! Paired with a Shure V15 type V-MR (purchased new for $125).

[​IMG]

misterclean and soundQman like this.
  7. ShallowMemory

ShallowMemory Classical Princess

My 'new' Marantz 6170 cost me nothing as sadly its owner died and I was left it in the will just requiring a smidgen of tlc to bring performance and cosmetics up to scratch.
    I paid about GBP£80 for the Rotel RQ970 phono stage used and about GBP£35 on a used Ortofon Concorde cart which I got a replacement stylus for a while back.
    Decent used equipment is too good to be tossed into the dumpster.

8. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

They can be retipped. In the case of Clearaudio, I can turn in my old cartridge for a "retip" credit and get a new one or upgrade to better one for an upcharge. In my case the replacement would be $1500, instead of a new one at $2750.

SteveM likes this.
  9. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

Yes just like Koetsu, at 45 percent of the new price it is re-built, a new cartridge for less than half price. They just take ages doing it.

Jimi Floyd likes this.
  10. Josquin des Prez

No, not like Koetsu. With Clearaudio you get a brand new retail cartridge and return your old one. No waiting for anything. If you do it through Needle Doctor they'll even ship you the new cartridge first and let you return the old one after you receive the replacement.

Last edited: May 27, 2016
  11. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

It's hard to tell since it came together from several parts purchased separately over a number of years. There was an armless Rega Planar 2 from eBay, I already had an RB300 arm, then I put a P3 thicker glass platter on it, the Rega sticky-pad motor upgrade, and finally a Groovetracer subplatter. So the plinth, bearing, feet, and dust cover still remain from the old Planar 2...

12. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

That's amazing, with Koetsu you can be months without the love of your life.

13. Josquin des Prez

They even have an upgrade path. I think I can go to the next level (the $3750 Stradivari) for a $500 upcharge (i.e. from the Concerto I have)

royzak2000 likes this.
  14. smctigue

smctigue Forum Resident

I paid $2500 for my Townshend Rock in 1996 - no plans to replace it.

15. Obtuse1

Obtuse1 Forum Resident

Technics SL-1200Mk2 $549.00 at Sound Advice (1999)

[​IMG]

Dual 1246 $3.00 at Yard Sale (2016)

[​IMG]

The Pinhead and DonC1965 like this.
  16. whaiyun

whaiyun Forum Resident

Clearaudio Performance SE - $1400 used without cartridge :pineapple::pineapple:

Josquin des Prez likes this.
  17. Gang-Twanger

Gang-Twanger Forum Resident

My main is an old Dual 1019 from the mid to late '60's. Idler-driven model with a really-heavy platter. When it was in production from 1965-'70, it was their TOTL model. Between the purchase price and additional maintenance, I probably have put about $400 into it... $500 at the most.

Great table for old rock vinyl from back in the '60's to early '70's. Old jazz and blues as well. The idler Duals don't cost too much, plus they have that rich sound and powerful bass response that brings the old rock LP's to life. Stuff like Zeppelin, Beatles, Stones, Hendrix, Doors, etc.. Great for mono as well. I've seen some people use the 1019 as a mono-specific table or playing old 78's. The 1019 makes an especially-good base for spinning old Verve and Blue Note jazz as well as early to mid '60's latin jazz. I also like it for '60's Motown stuff (The old 1st pressing stereo double LP of the Supremes' "Greatest Hits" is especially-good). And another thing I've noticed is that the 1019 and its brethren are great with tube-cut vinyl for whatever reason. It really is an excellent table for vinyl from its era. I'd say everything up to and including the early '70's. Green-label Warners are like butter (I have a green 1st pressing copy of Tower Of Power's "Bump City" that is pretty rough in terms of condition, and its obvious when you first drop the needle, but once the music starts, you can be wearing headphones and still adore every second... Warner used to cut some great vinyl, and whoever pressed them certainly knew what they were doing).

The 1019 has a couple quirks, its biggest issue being that cartridge holder, which Dual refers to as a "carrier" that clamps to the arm. If you lose a channel, 9 times out of 10 it's because of a dirty contact where the cart carrier attaches to the arm. Duals are notorious for that. And the 1019 and the other 10xx series models were designed to be excellent drop-in upgrades for console stereos, and thus, it is quite-small, which is why it is the only table I know from that era that can fit in basically any console that was designed to accommodate a turntable. At its north/south points, the deck isn't even as wide as an LP. Even still, the 1019 can sound pretty-amazing, especially with good records from its era. A hefty motor is required to get that heavy platter spinning, and I think that's where it gets that rich, powerful sound. Whatever the case, it's easy to get hooked on the Dual idler sound once you hear it, and I think that's why you often see guys (and girls) who have two or three 1019's on duty. One for stereo, one for mono, and another for 78 duty. Classic example of a piece of gear that makes that older music sound 'right'.

Last edited: May 28, 2016
  18. Airbus

Airbus Forum Resident

2500$ for a Project Xtension 9, including the
    900 $ for it's MC Ortofon Quintet Black cartridge.

19. kendo

kendo Forum Resident

$730 at today's rate (£500) at the time 9-10 years ago for an early 80's Linn Sondek LP12 / Grace arm / Supex cartidge combo.
    It's had a couple of 2nd hand chassis and motor upgrades and can still sound amazing. :)

20. BrokenByAudio

BrokenByAudio Forum Resident

I bought a package of stuff at the time. VPI Classic III w/center clamp and 3D printed JMW tonearm, Ortofon A90 cart, a JPS Aluminata 1m RCA IC and an HRS resonance-busting shelf. I traded in a 1m JPS Superconductor3 IC and gave them $12,300 (before tax) for the whole package. I ordered a custom dust cover from a regional producer for $129 and picked up a Chinese manufacture rim clamp on eBay for $275.

The VPI is the rosewood model and so listed w/the arm at $7500 so I was in the $5k-$10K bracket in the poll.

21. Obtuse1

Obtuse1 Forum Resident

My Dual 1246 continues that tradition......

22. johnnybrum

johnnybrum Forum Resident

About 500GBP overall

or 100GBP if it's my wife asking... :shh:

Jimi Floyd likes this.
  23. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

My Rega P3 in 2000 was about £400 and add £90 (as was) for the AT440MLa, so around the $500-1000 mark.

24. Jimi Floyd

Jimi Floyd Forum Resident

€ 7,000 turntable, € 5,000 its arm and € 2,000 for a Japanese pick-up = I am listening to any of my records as if it was the first time ever. € 3,000 total if it's my wife asking....

royzak2000, Airbus and johnnybrum like this.
  25. misterclean

misterclean Forum Resident

I bought mine used about 5 years ago for $550. Has a Sumiko MMT tonearm, just like the one pictured below. Overall NM condtion with just some very light swirls on the dustcover. Still haven't felt the need to upgrade.[​IMG] As a bonus, it also looks very cool sitting alongside my bullnosed Large Advents, (although those are in storage at the moment).

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 30, 2016
    DonC1965 and soundQman like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.