Poll: Is "Fantastica" by Russ Garcia In Your Collection?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ShockControl, Dec 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Nope , will give a listen

Last edited: Dec 8, 2014
  2. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

3. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

I have a lot of Jerry Garcia in my collection, but never heard of Russ.

4. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur! Thread Starter

I found a clean copy of that in the 1990s for short dough. The money cut is the final track, "Wow." I think it is available on CD, and that track may have been on a comp.

5. ShockControl

Trivia: That is David Seville of Chipmunks fame doing the mission control launch countdown at the top of track 1!

EasterEverywhere and Scope J like this.
  6. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

I just checked and there's one copy of the CD on discogs for $122.87. mp3 everywhere else.

7. ShockControl

Ouch! I paid $4.99 for the LP!

8. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

$22 is the lowest for an LP on discogs. I don't really listen to LPs though.

9. Alan G.

Alan G. Forum Resident

Late in adding to this thread. Forgive me. As a kid I bought this when released. The LP cover intrigued me and I loved sci-fi. It was the mono version and they screwed it up: side two was Martin Denny! I didn't take it back, but knew something was wrong. One or two years later I saw it in stereo, bought that and gave my first one away. Little did I know that there was a difference. Apparently Garcia did the effects on the mono version and when Liberty released it in stereo they had Ted Key come in a re-do the effects. Late to the game, I can't find the CD version, but still play the LP.

I'm into "lounge" now, so it pretty well fits in.

10. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

Never heard of him.
    Clips sound more interesting than the Zen Meditation thread I investigated earlier...

11. Arkay_East

Arkay_East Forum Resident

Haha! Awesome. Added to searchlist

12. Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek Forum Resident

With the demand for this record - and the difficulty in finding a mint copy at a price that doesn't break the bank - why hasn't it gotten a vinyl re-issue?

Alan G. likes this.
  13. Alan G.

Alan G. Forum Resident

Yeah, it's frustrating. There was a CD release from the Netherlands in 2009. Soon OOP, I still can't find a copy. Now there's a new CD release called "Out of this World", combining Fantastica with "Space-Age" music by The Spotnicks and the Ron Goodwin Orchestra, whoever they are.

I recently picked up a mono LP copy off eBay (at best a VG) and having had the stereo version for 55 years, I must admit I like the mono version better. More up front. Would love to see a new LP, though...

14. ShockControl

I have been told from reliable sources that the stereo orchestral master tape, pre-electronic sound effects, still exists, but the finished stereo master with the electronic sounds is missing. (I don't know the status of the mono master, either pre- or post-sound effects.)

Apparently, for the Basta CD reissue, they primarily used the stereo orchestral master tape, and edited in sound effects using a pristine stereo LP. Whatever they did, it sounds great.

If someone does an LP reissue, they would do well to use Basta's master, but I assume it is digital and not analogue. If the mono master exists, all the better.

Alan G. likes this.
  15. rbp

rbp Forum Resident

I have an excellent sounding Japanese CD pressing of Fantastica.
    It was released in 1994 and is the stereo version (Liberty TOCP-8325 disc manufactured by Toshiba-EMI Ltd Japan).
    I prefer the mono mix.

16. ShockControl

Does your copy have the electronic sound effects?

17. rbp

rbp Forum Resident

Yes.

18. rene smalldridge

rene smalldridge Senior Member

Does anyone know if that Out Of This World CD has the Fantastique material in mono or stereo ?

19. ShockControl

Wow. I wonder what the source was. Could the masters have been around until 1994 and misfiled subsequently?

20. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

Yes. I have an early mono Liberty pressing. Pretty sure I got it for fifty cents at a resale shop. It was my gateway into Exotica.

21. Alan G.

Alan G. Forum Resident

Here's a quote from Charles Thaxton, who corresponded with Garcia:

"Russ originally did the album in mono and supervised all the electronics and efx. When Liberty reissued it in stereo Russ was not around so engineer Ted Keep re-did a few of the sounds and Russ naturally prefers the original mono (he sent me a flawless copy of it on CD)."

Obviously, RBP, you have a mono LP as well as the stereo CD. Have you noticed any discernible differences and why do YOU prefer the mono mix?

McLover likes this.
  22. rbp

rbp Forum Resident

Actually I do not have the mono album and have only heard a digital copy of the original mono mix. It has minimal electronic effects and is less gimmicky than the stereo mix which showcases the stereo effects. The mono mix has greater impact for me with the wonderful exotic orchestral music to the fore - it is as Garcia intended.
    Both versions are worth having.

Alan G. likes this.
  23. rbp

rbp Forum Resident

Most likely a copy tape sent to Japan. If the original master is now missing then at least a copy may still exist in Japan.

24. ShockControl

I have both the mono and stereo LPs. It is worth noting that the mono LP is is not a different mix, but a different recording, as were many of the Capitol and Mercury sessions from the early days of stereo. The mono has a drier, more close-miked sound; the stereo is very open and spacious. And yes, the sound effects are very different from one to the other. I like both albums for different reasons, and if you like the album as much as I do, you will probably want both.

rbp likes this.
  25. Alan G.

Alan G. Forum Resident

Good news! ( I hope ) Sonitron is releasing an 180 gm vinyl version in late January, 2016! With facsimile cover, I can't tell whether it's the stereo or mono version.

I was just going to try for another eBay LP, always taking a chance at visual grading. But I'm holding off and pre-ordering this.

I love this album!

rbp likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.