Poll: Is it "strange" for men to listen to female pop artists?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JohnnyQuest, Sep 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

I like Diamanda.

Is that strange? You'd have to tell me.

After six decades I've lost all sense of what's strange and what ain't.

[​IMG]

2. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

3. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

Well, to be fair, Madonna's best work is behind her. Same with Mariah Carey, in my opinion. Have enjoyed their music in the past, though, and as already noted, good is good, regardless of gender.

4. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

All the chattering here about them made me actually go out an purchase Katy Perry and Taylor Swift. Anyone want to buy a thrice played copy of Teenage Dream? There's just too much music I love to waste time listening to something I merely don't hate.

Don't think it's weird, per se, except perhaps for the age discrepancy. Now if anyone here is a One Direction fan, yes, you are weird.

keef00 likes this.
  5. jjhunsecker

jjhunsecker Senior Member

I remember a statement I heard once on TV from a pop music critic named Scott Poulson-Bryant- he basically said that when you are young, you love certain music because you think it "represents" you, and how you see yourself and how you want to be perceived. (Think of heavy metal fans, or Hip-Hop fans, or Grunge fans).... But as you get older, you can appreciate music as just music- that you can enjoy the artistry of it, or even a catchy tune or a good beat, and not have that personal connection to it

jay.dee, Scopitone, dkmonroe and 2 others like this.
  6. kevintomb

kevintomb Forum Resident

I think there are wide variations in what we term a "Fan", and someone that simply buys a CD and listens to it and likes an artist.

Many Men do like Madonna and Lady Gaga, but not all of those men are exactly "Fans".....

Not Fans, like how the beatles had teenage girls screaming etc about them.

Marko L. likes this.
  7. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

If anything, I think it's stranger for them to listen to groups with shirtless preening frontmen like The Rolling Stones, The Who, The Doors, Led Zeppelin and Van Halen.
    Though admittedly I listen to some examples of both kind of acts on occasion.

8. Bruno Republic

Bruno Republic Forum Resident

One of the most ridiculous and utterly loathsome ideas I've seen expressed by others is that if you're into a certain type of music, it is unacceptable and even shameful to like certain other kinds. It's pure snobbery at the minimum, and cultural totalitarianism at the extreme.

Enjoy what you enjoy. There is no good reason why you can't like both AC/DC and ABBA, or Madonna and Metallica. Enjoying music should never be a guilty pleasure. Ostracizing someone else for what they like, now *that* is disgraceful.

9. TomM

TomM Forum Resident

To each their own. Personally speaking, I do not care for female pop music in the vein you described. Females in my music collection include, among others, Kate Bush, Aimee Mann, Bjork, PJ Harvey, Patti Smith, Laurie Anderson, Nico, Annette Peacock, Lucinda Williams, CocoRosie, and Greetje Bijma Kwint.

10. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident Thread Starter

The females artists I listen to are Bjork,Sade,Amy Winehouse,The Supremes,etc.

11. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

How do you relate to the bolded artists concerning gender differences? All of their stuff comes from a very feminine point of view.

12. musicjunky

musicjunky Active Member

If someone writes/records their own music then i'll buy it whatever their gender or genre. If it's just another manufactured puppet I tend to (possibly snobbishly) dismiss them as pap

13. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

14. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

What difference does it make what the viewpoint is? Everybody puts their own slant on what they hear. I'm gay and the vast majority of the music I listen to is by heterosexuals, but the obvious differences never bothered me. A love song is a love song, the emotion behind the words is universal after all, and a gender identifier is easily flipped.

15. SoporJoe

SoporJoe Forum Resident

Exactly.

What a dumb question.

16. AveryKG

AveryKG Sultan of snacks

17. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Then your argument collapses as you are making subjective choices about what female singers are acceptable and which are not. The Supremes were just as much a group for young girls as any of the modern artists you dislike. Is 'Love Child' or songs like 'Past, Present and Future' and different lyrically to today's teen songs?
    Really your question should be 'is it strange that men listen to female artists I don't like' then, once you bring in your subjective judgements.

In any case I don't find it strange. I like a lot of 'feminine' music as I can relate a lot more to it than the very male testosterone rock music aimed at teenage boys (Zep, Mötley Crüe, Guns and Roses and their like). It's quite odd actually that men in their 50's listen to music aimed at teenage boys if you think about it.
    Anyway, bottom line is whatever moves you is good, whoever it is made by.

18. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident Thread Starter

I can relate to most of their music because Love is predominant subject matter. But that's not the reason why I enjoy their music. It's the music behind the singing that also attracts me.

I've never said any of those female artists weren't acceptable. As fair as I'm concerned they all make decent music that anyone can enjoy.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2014
  19. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

What's "strange" is me singing along with Carole King's recording of "I Feel The Earth Move Under My Feet." Trust me. :laugh:

20. Steve G

Steve G Senior Member

I think it's strange to listen to pop music for the subject matter

21. Miche

Miche Forum Resident

22. PHILLYQ

PHILLYQ Forum Resident

You're not but she is, and I've heard stuff by her that I liked.

23. mixedupfiles

mixedupfiles Forum Resident

I voted, "no." I'd also like to point out that although I'm a short man (5'-7"), I also love listening to Dexter Gordon, who was a tall man (6'-5").

24. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

I agree completely. I only asked because the OP explained the point of this thread with this quote:
    See above. I'm still unsure what the premise of this thread is. Obviously men who like Madonna do so because they enjoy her music. Just like you enjoy The Supremes. Nothing strange about it.

DesertHermit and ralphb like this.
  25. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I agree with this to a certain extent but I think that one can have a personal connection with the music all the same. What happens is, the older one gets and the more different kinds of people one gets to know, ones ability to feel a personal connection with music broadens and deepens. The fact is, the young can be very narrow-minded and tribal. I was when I was young, even though I made it a point to cultivate some unusual musical interests. Still and all, I had some very firm boundaries that I would not venture beyond but they disappeared as I got older.

Marko L. likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.