POLL: Jimmy Page Will Take Your Career Directive- Choose Them Here!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Paperback Writer, Mar 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

Isn't his house pretty much a record store?

Paperback Writer likes this.
  2. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

I don't remember saying anything about statutory rape... I thought the woman in the pic was 25

3. cungar

cungar Forum Resident

I still don't get how a guitarist can come up with 50 or so of the most memorable songs known to man in 10 years of his life and not come up with a single remarkable piece of music the next 35.

4. duggan

duggan Senior Member

Maybe he could also correct the odd spelling mistake.

Paperback Writer and KeninDC like this.
  5. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Page & JPJ and a more appropriate drummer (be it Bonham or someone else) would make it reasonably legit. I saw Page with the Black Crowes years ago, and it was fantastic.

I'd love to be proven wrong, but I don't feel Page has much to offer creatively at this point, or else we would've heard it. I'm sure he has dozens of riffs and ideas going around, but he's an arranger, producer and riffmaster, not a 'songwriter' per se. I would love to see him collaborate with another great singer/lyricist a la Coverdale/Page (not that Coverdale is a great lyricist, but at least he got Page to churn out an album's worth of solid tunes), but I don't know if he can be arsed at 70 years old.

6. duggan

duggan Senior Member

Very good question.

7. ledsox

ledsox Senior Member

It's called the well running dry. 50 great songs isn't enough? ;)
    Even Dylan, the greatest songwriter of the last 50 years is doing cover albums now.
    I also think Jimmy's done some very good, if not remarkable stuff since 1980.

Paperback Writer and old school like this.
  8. JL6161

JL6161 Forum Resident

Dude, the humor of "Well some things are the same as they always were" totally rests on the listener recognizing an obvious allusion to Page's history of allegedly . . .
    "dating" young "women" in the 70s. You don't have to type the actual phrase to make a joke about the widely-known events the phrase refers to.

Unless you meant, "Look, here's Jimmy, still wearing leather jackets after all these years, the old dog," in which case everyone laughed at an entirely different joke from the one you intended. :)

Last edited: Mar 26, 2015
  9. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

He has always dated younger women, in no way was I trying to imply he was a rapist, sorry you took it that way....just pointing out that he still has "it" (meaning that "charm") and is actively dating at 71. But thanks for at least acknowledging that I indeed didn't type anything alleging rape

Paperback Writer and JL6161 like this.
  10. old school

old school Senior Member

At 70 Pagey still has it I don't know? But Page has already did it all for two lifetimes. Jimmy Page has nothing to prove to anybody.

11. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

There is a smattering of good stuff in the 80s. The occasional Firm track, some of the stuff on his solo album, the Death Wish II soundtrack. He seemed to be trying to be productive.

Paperback Writer and ledsox like this.
  12. cungar

cungar Forum Resident

For the record I wasn't criticizing him. 99% of artists would be happy to write one of those songs. I just wonder why it all goes balls up after such a great run.

13. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

Probably because he doesn't need the money and it's easier to keep doing what he wants to do instead of trying to top stuff that he did when he was in his 20s.

14. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

Hey! He's a legend! What can I say? If he still has enough left to score a young chick like that, all the power to him.

15. tedhead

tedhead Forum Resident

Score documentary films on the occult, such as on Kenneth Grant and Aleister Crowley:

Lucifer Rising II: Cthulu boogaloo!

16. Manalishi

Manalishi With the 2-pronged crown

Yes, yes Helmut. And it's people like you who forget that it's people like me and you and everybody else that buys HIS recorded output. And maybe he could come down from Mt. Olympus, or wherever his head is at, and listen to the fans now and then.

My choice for new career direction? Solo acoustic tour, just like Richard Thompson does. He needs a singer though... or not. Lack of vocal chops never hurt Bert Jansch, Davy Graham or Neil Young.

ledsox and Paperback Writer like this.
  17. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

An interesting idea, but I think that if Page started doing a solo act now, and singing even at a Neil Young level (not to disparage Neil, but, you know...) he'd be laughed off stage. You can't have established your career with Robert Plant in front of you and then come out croaking old folk tunes. Plant can get away with it, but Page wouldn't. :laugh:

Manalishi and Paperback Writer like this.
  18. vinyl diehard

vinyl diehard Two-Channel Forever

LZ is the only band he was really any good with. LZ is done, and has been really for a long time. He should be too. Even his side projects have been with former LZ members. Except for a couple of forgettable albums. I love the guy, but his days of being able to release anything exciting is gone.

19. BeatlesObsessive

BeatlesObsessive The Earl of Sandwich Ness

I thought when Plant was uninterested in touring after the O2 show that he should have called Beck!!! Beck/Clapton made millions on their tour a few years back. Page isn't in the hardiest of health of course but the TIME that has been wasted over the past 8 or 9 years that could have been spent building a body of guitar work... Neil Young AND Jimmy Page need to leave the archiving to some talented archivists and do what they do best in terms of expressing and creating while they are still here.

20. BeatlesObsessive

A horrible act indeed. How many Celtic folk singers are out there that would do the job admirably? All Mr. Page has to do is sit down and get back in touch with that guitar and create some work on it. May work... may not.. all we have is the passage of time to lose.

Paperback Writer and dkmonroe like this.
  21. BeatlesObsessive

You know!!!

22. BeatlesObsessive

How many Japanese record company engineers and archivists are sitting with their feet up on a desk with nothing to do while studios gather dust and the Neil Youngs, Jimmy Pages, and others of their ilk sit atop their collected recorded works like ladybugs!!!

23. Helmut

Helmut Well-Known Member

Yes, but it is HIS risk if we stop buying. And looking at the charts there are still enough people, who buy "HIS recorded output". So in the end all you, Manalishi, and others say is: "Why doesn't he do exactly what I want? Cause I know better !"

24. Nick Dunning

Nick Dunning Forum Resident

Do something more constructive than having his ego repeatedly massaged by appearing in Mojo magazine with a standard fawning article on the 'Godlike Genius Of Jimmy Page' every other issue.

It's very annoying. It's been going on for years. Yawn.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2015
  25. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

THAT is what I was saying! :cheers:

While I agree that he indeed doesn't owe us anything, and it has been mostly disappointing since about 1982. The Page Plant era gave us a taste and hope, and I am happy it happened. o2 raised the hope levels again

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.