POLL: Keith Richards vs. Angus Young

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Cubby, Mar 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cublowell

cublowell Forum Resident

Both love to play music that they feel. Neither care what anyone else thinks about it, nor have they ever.

I can never understand either of them when they speak in interviews. Maybe that would be a fairer poll?

blackg and bababooey like this.
  2. Malina

Malina Forum Resident

I liked the part about Robert Johnson's "2 albums". :agree:

GoodKitty and blackg like this.
  3. zen

zen Senior Member

[​IMG][​IMG]

Two great albums. :thumbsup:

danielbravo likes this.
  4. Malina

Malina Forum Resident

Yeah, but those were posthumous releases. I would guess Robert Johnson's stuff was all 78's, so it's funny to be talking about his 2 albums when he never had 2 albums. At least I find it funny. :rolleyes:

blackg likes this.
  5. danielbravo

danielbravo Senior Member

Keef is the man... no discusion here. Angus is great but not at the same level that Keith.

blackg likes this.
  6. Malina

Malina Forum Resident

I just noticed those 2 albums have the same title so I guess that's the joke that I missed. I'm a pretty big blues fan but more electric and not the real early stuff. I bought that Robert Johnson longbox box set back in the 80's just like everybody else, but I could never get into it, so I don't know much about Robert Johnson.

zen likes this.
  7. old school

old school Senior Member

Two different styles completely! Angus baby he kicks *ss and I love the knickers!

8. Cyberhog9

Cyberhog9 Forum Resident

When Angus Young puts out a solo cd as awesome as Talk Is Cheap get back to me.Until then this thread is done.Never mind Main Offender.BTW I can't wait for Keith's next solo cd!

blackg, danielbravo and Carserguev like this.
  9. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

There are too many differences between them to make a good comparison. KR was around during the beginning of the rock era, AC/DC came about toward the end of it, KR is also a singer. KR plays a wide range of styles, none of them very good but all of them interestingly. Angus Young plays circles around KR as far as moves on the guitar, but is very limited in scope. KRs stage personna developed and constantly changed over time, seemingly without purpose. Angus Young has a very obviously static stage appearance and personna that is the same now as it was in 1975.
    Most importantly, KR is one of the guys that helped invent rock guitar. Angus Young didn't. He grabbed onto what was already there and rode it like an angry racehorse.

blackg and danielbravo like this.
  10. RogerB

RogerB Forum Resident

Keith. There's a lot of guitarists out there that are technically superior to Keith. But none brought the "feel" to the table
    like Keith.

Some of the greatest riffs in rock history were written and played by Keith.

blackg, junk, starduster and 3 others like this.
  11. kelhard

kelhard Forum Resident

Angus' guitar is almost as big as he is....

12. In a fight to the death Keith would win. He can only be killed by a silver bullet. :D

13. CliffordCalavera

CliffordCalavera New Member

Given the title of the poll is pure insanity to me , cause music is not a sport , plus it is by all means subjective , then we got to get going with the insanity. :D

You guys are obviously obsessed Stones's fans. Keith Richards bended himself and his music dozen times over the years. Angus , and his band , never did.
    That's why Angus is immortal , because he could fight different trends and fads through the year, by just being himself.
    I teach at the school , and I see these 10yo kids that love Back in Black(80') or thunderstruck(91') or it's a long way (76') or Moneymade (2008) and so on
    Think about it , there' s not much acdc footage all around, and most important look at the dates. How the hell these bombarded-with-justin-bieber-kids can even fall in love with such tunes?
    And how come none of 'em is talking about rolling stones , although the stones are always all over the place, red carpet , cristina aguilera, twitter and facebook , gossip and we dont even know how angus young's wife look like?
    Keith Richards is an icon , we all agree
    Angus de-facto rocks and rolls, and he will rock people in the long future . Keith Richards ? Not a chance , I 'd go listen to b.b.king, chuck berry or robert johnson.
    They're more authentic.

blackg likes this.
  14. Cymbaline

Cymbaline Shiny Dog

Angus, by a mile. When I saw the poll I knew the vast majority of you would get it wrong, and I was right.

15. blackdograilroad

blackdograilroad Forum Resident

Nail hit fairly and squarely on the head. Absolutely.

I was born in 1960, so just at the time when I started getting into music seriously prog rock was in the ascendant and it was all all all all all about technical virtuosity so anything without lightning execution of scales and 13/8 time signatures was crap.

And of course feel and soul in your playing is every single bit as important.

16. keef00

keef00 Senior Member

That, my friend, is the most vivid, accurate metaphor I have ever seen on the forum. I'm not voting. Keith is the very definition of rock 'n' roll, an icon of the highest order. Angus is as well, just not to the same degree as Keith. Musically, they are different animals, although I'm sure both bleed classic riffs. Would not want to slight either of them.

17. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

I expect Pink Floyd would outpoll Deep Purple, and perhaps Black Sabbath and any other band with a color in their name.

blackg and junk like this.
  18. Raider4life

Raider4life Forum Resident

Angus rules

19. bababooey

bababooey Forum Resident

But then again, who is?

Carserguev likes this.
  20. CliffordCalavera

Chuck Berry was too harsh ? OK . Who cares right? KR was already more famous than him (that's probably why you guys love him so much, not because of his grooves,or his way of playing)
    But that never would have happened with Angus . Neither Django Reinhardt , or Robert Johnson. They were not famous because they ve written a couple of hits and got millionaire.
    They became famous whatever they have played, just giving their soul to the music.

As a business man Keith Richards will win this poll, he is the best guitar player in the whole world.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2014
  21. danielbravo

Opp???? o_O

Any doubt? For me there are none. Keef is far superior to Angus Young.
    Keith what is best both rhythmic and of course in its capacity as lead guitarist. Angus in opinion is very repetitive and is not a consytructor riffs as many believe. Malcolm Young is the one who made each of those riffs that have become famous for AC / DC.

Maybe you like more Angus Young and that's respectable.

22. danielbravo

Maybe you like more Angus Young and that's respectable. Angus may have learned a lot from Keef, of that I'm sure of that... I do not think Angus is as authentic and original as you mention. I respect your opinion but differ from it. I would say rather that it is so repetitive and always in the comfort zone. With regard to the fact that he have much time to follow what you call "rock and rolls" for a long time. Angus stopped doing it ... maybe something more than a decade.
    It remains vital and very aggressive on stage but does not impress as much.

Nobody does alternate tunings better than Keith, the rhythmic sense, silences, muting strings, proper chord progression, the feeling... and that makes Richards much better as a guitarist, musician and composer.

Angus have some of this but not at the level of Keith. My respect and I hope to continue Angus in his game.

23. danielbravo

As a guitarist I can tell you that Keith is excellent. It takes genius to do what Richards has accomplished in his career as a musician. It is not more or less hits ... it will be talented with the guitar. And technically speaking that is too long for a post.
    Not to say that Angus is not fantastic but it does not have the level of Keith. Even being musicians with very different musical styles.

"As a business man Keith Richards will win this poll" I can say this: appreciate a guitarrist or not is a matter of talent with six strings and two hands ... and believe me it is a difficult art, it is not a question of money. Possibly you may try to imitate but can never match it (same thing with Chuck, Angus, Hendrix or Van Halen)

24. CliffordCalavera

Name 1 lick from KR and I ll name 10 from Angus.

I respect you guys, even the guy that says he's a guitarist (I can already imagine which kind of, if he' s talking like that), but you got a whole lot to lose by admitting what I'm saying.
    Keith Richards doesnt have it in his hands. It's that simple. I can recognize Angus just by hearing a bending , and that's where AUTHENTICITY is.
    I can listen Richards playing for two hours and I will go like "Wait, is this BBKing?no wait is this John lee Hooker?..no wait is this a drunk chuck berry ?" and so on.
    Whatever you guys are saying, I stick for what sounds authentic. Not for what is just worldly popular.
    It's difficult I know , it's like saying that iPhone is crap. The whole world would be against me. I get it

For that matter I dont even know why you guys are shoving into the conversation jeffbeck or eric not-that-slow-hand clapton.
    Those are such pointless myths, again ----------------> copy-and-pasters

25. danielbravo

Woaaooo... this seems a congressional debate.
    Too tedious.

(The guy that say he play the guitar)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.