POLL: Keith Richards vs. Angus Young

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Cubby, Mar 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

KRs telecasters neck is almost as skinny as HE is.... and almost as beat up looking...........

blackg and danielbravo like this.
  2. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

And he uses all ten of them in every song...........

3. hello people

hello people Forum Resident

Keef is great...but nowhere near as great as he was before I read his autobiography Life

blackg, serge and danielbravo like this.
  4. CliffordCalavera

CliffordCalavera New Member

Maybe you confuse being authentic with being repetitive.

Riff Raff, Sink the pink, Cant Stand Still, Stiff Upper Lip, ride on, For those about the rock.
    If you listen just to the first 5 seconds of each of these songs you'll find your comment inappropriate.
    Same thing will happen if you go with You shook me all night long, Play with girls, Gimme a bullet , Kicked in the teeth, C.o.d , The razor's edge.
    I could go forever .
    On the other hand you cant write or play in the style of keith richards , cause he doesn't have one.

Here's the thing, there are 2 ways of thinking:
    Real Thing: Jimi Hendrix, Angus Young, John Lennon , Robert Johnson , Django Reinhardt , Jaco Pastorius etc
    And
    Business men: Keith Richards , Eric Clapton , Jimmy Page , Oasis etc
    Can you feel the difference between these 2 types of artists?

Have you ever try to play something in the style of Page,Clapton or Richards ? It's impossible, they dont have one.
    It's just a maladjusted mix of authentic styles coming from old masters.
    It's like kids copying Leonardo Davinci works, they can come up with something nearly good , but they'll never get the real thing.

Getting hugely famous well, that's another story , lads

5. danielbravo

danielbravo Senior Member

God! Finally something really intelligent and objective. My respect for is appreciation. There are no better words to describe what the case of Keith and Mr. Angus is about. :agree:

6. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

I think you took my remark just a tad more seriously than I intended it.
    In answer to your question, yes. I have not only tried to play something in all of those guitarists styles, I am quite adept at it. In fact, doing so is my job in both of the bands I am currently in and in the numerous projects I have been involved in in the past.
    And all of them have quite unique styles. In Claptons case, guitar monster that he is, that encompasses a few different styles as he is quite versatile and has constantly evolved his styles in order to accommodate his various fascinations.

Angus Young is the easiest of them to copy, one trick pony that he is.
    As well as the most fun to copy. Mostly because doing so isn't laborious.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2014
    danielbravo likes this.
  7. hazard

hazard Forum Resident

I'm an Australian and maybe I should support AC/DC, one of Scotland's finest Aussie pub rock bands but ... really?? Acca Dacca were a good pub rock when I was growing up in the 70s, but Bon Scott died about 34 years ago. OK Back in Black was good, but how much of that was written before Bon died? Anyway thast's 8 albums between 1975 and 1980 - 8 good albums but a lot of it is pretty simple riffing. Good party music, geez I spent the best part of my teenage years drinking beers while listening to AC/DC on the pub juke box. But I'm trying to think of something that compares to the Riff Master and I'm struggling here.

The Rolling Stones were the greatest rock n roll band in the world for nearly 10 years. Sure they weren't up to much after Some Girls but compare their catalogue from 1963 to 1978 against AC/DC - these bands and these guitarists are not in the same league. Compare the songs, compare the riffs. Keef had some help from some fine guitarists but he is the heart and soul of the Stones. This is a silly contest.

blackg likes this.
  8. CliffordCalavera

You guys talk about "statements" , not facts.
    You just dont listen to the music , as I already said. You either watch pictures or reading reviews.
    I'm saying I'm 100% sure none of you can play Back in Black riff or Stiff upper lip riff PROPERLY, wheter you are pro guitar players or rookie.
    I can bet my bottom dollar on that.

That's Angus , simple but impossible to copy. Same thing with robert johnson , hendrix and so on.
    Keith Richards, Clapton and all that stuff is just kid game, it takes you an hour to track down 30 years of their music. And it doesnt matter if you get wrong some notes, cause is not the music the important thing, is the GOSSIP
    That makes you believe , Rockledge , that you can play in that style but it isnt. It's just easy to reproduce.

Post a video of one of your project and I'll tell you what you sound like.

9. Linto

Linto Mayor of Simpleton

One wrote endless worldwide hits, with revolutionary riffs,
    the other is famous for wearing shorts.

10. signothetimes53

signothetimes53 Senior Member

LOL

I had to google Angus Young's name to figure out who he was, and the first thing that popped up was an image of him in those stupid shorts.

Carserguev and danielbravo like this.
  11. CliffordCalavera

Revolutionary riffs...this is silly Please tell me one! Just one that is revolutionary for you.
    I 'm all ears go ahead.

12. CliffordCalavera

Are you five or what? 42 millions albums sold just with back in black and you're thinking about the shorts?

13. signothetimes53

I have $5 to contribute to help you buy a sense of humor. :laugh:

14. CliffordCalavera

If that's YOUR sense of humor I can totally get what 's your sense of listening to the music

15. signothetimes53

I have no idea what that sentence means.

16. bababooey

bababooey Forum Resident

OK, Clifford. If you're just trying to stir up feces then I applaud you. However, if you're serious you really need to pass the crack pipe. You've been hitting it for too long.

danielbravo likes this.
  17. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

I have been able to play Back In Black note for note, as well as get the same tone, since a week after it was released.
    In other words, yes, I can. I can indeed play in the style. In fact I know it so well that I could probably write something in that style and nobody would be the wiser.
    I am an Angus Young fan, but he is not a difficult guitarist to copy.
    The problem most guys have is that they try to copy the guys style through stomp boxes, when in reality you need to do it on rather low wattage tube amps that are cranked with nothing between the guitar and amp but a wireless or a cable.

18. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

This just is not fair to AC/DC or Angus Young. When that band first got popular they created a huge ruckus, because their sound was new and fresh and they did it by being very creative without being too complicated. Angus Young had a fresh sound at the time and is significant to rock guitar. The guy is famous because he has a great guitar style and sound. He could have been wearing a kilt, Herb Tarlics bad polyester suit, or polka dot clown pants and AC/DC would have still gotten on the map. Most people didn't have a clue what they looked like when they first made a big splash.

danielbravo likes this.
  19. CliffordCalavera

Your avatar is enough , I cant take you seriously

20. CliffordCalavera

That is my point man , play something in the style of keith richards without risking to sound like millions of other bluesmen? Can you? Please post it? Impossible , right?

21. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

Like I said, my job in bands ( and sometimes in the studio) is to mimic other guitarists style.
    And no, I will not post something. I know what I can do, I could care less if others believe me about it or not. I got nothing to prove, doing what I do is old hat to me.
    I don't see how someone could sound like a "bluesman" copying KRs style. Much of what the Stones have done does not involve blues scales or phrasing.

22. Diskhound

Diskhound Forum Resident

It's not even close. Angus all the way :wantsome:

23. blackg

blackg Forum Resident

What the hell are you raving on about? "GOSSIP"?
    You need therapy.

24. Dr. Mudd

Dr. Mudd Audient

Is this a bad joke?

Keith.

25. MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy Forum Resident

It's a year later, a North American tour and a South American tour under his belt + an acclaimed solo album. What did you accomplish? How many of his peers died in the past year?

EDIT: Oops, sorry. TWO years since that post. Add Europe + Asia-Pacific tours.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2016
    DrBeatle and blackg like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.