POLL: Linklater or O. Russell

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Monosterio, Jan 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident Thread Starter

Probably my two favorite movie directors at the moment.

Richard Linklater made Dazed and Confused, School of Rock, Boyhood and the Before/After trilogy, among others.

David O. Russell directed Flirting with Disaster, Three Kings, Silver Linings Playbook, American Hustle and others.

Now choose! :D

2. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I can name a lot more Linklater films that I like that O. Russell films. Not judging their artistry, just how many of their films have connected with me. "Dazed and Confused" is a major favorite of mine. I also like how Linklaters' filmography is all over the map. A very interesting body of work.

3. michaelscrutchin

michaelscrutchin Forum Resident

Linklater by far. Some of his films have changed the way I look at art, film, and life.

David O. Russell is good, but none of his movies have had anywhere near that impact on me.

4. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

I'm a fan of both directors, in a pinch I'd choose O. Russell.

5. Captain Groovy

Captain Groovy Senior Member

David O. Russell

Flirting with Disaster is one of the best comedies made in the '90s - might be the best.

And he's done great films with genres all over the place.

He's had a stinker here and there, but so has Linklater. What was the Western one he did? Almost fell asleep in the theater. I liked Bernie, but nothing monumental.

DOR is an amazing talent, if not the nicest guy. But often do those two goes things go hand in hand?

In the end, new DOR film comes out, I must see it. New Linklater? Have to hear the buzz, reviews... and I'm in the minority (I know) but I don't care of Dazed and Confused at all. Doesn't speak to me.

But Flirting with Disaster? That speaks to me and it's brilliant. Simply brilliant. I worked with Ben Stiller right after he did that film and I would go on and on... he appreciated it because it wasn't a "big movie" but I told him that my favorites were always "small comedies with a huge heart and plenty of neuroses". Broadway Danny Rose and my other favorite at the time, Mighty Aphrodite.

Even he loved that film (he never talked about working with DOR, but now I'm curious how the vibe was working on the film). For anyone whose worked on films, we know that the experience on working on the film has NOTHING to do with the end result. Some of my favorite movies to work on were bombs, and the ones I worked on that were huge or critical hits... I was miserable on.

Jeff

marke and somnar like this.
  6. Monosterio

Nicely written, Jeff. :righton:

Captain Groovy likes this.
  7. Monosterio

The poll is dead even right now. I honestly don't know whom to vote for. Russell is by far the more consistently good of the two. But Linklater is much more prolific, and two of his movies -- Before Sunrise and Boyhood -- mean more to me than anything by Russell. It's tough.

8. Monosterio

Well, Linklater is running away with it now, 11 to 5. I'll probably end up agreeing with the majority.

9. somnar

somnar Senior Member

Russell for me, by quite a margin. Only misstep for me is American Hustle - a movie with an identity crisis. Like Soderbergh, he's not afraid to jump all over the place. Spanking the Monkey, a comedy about mother-son incest; I Heart Huckabees, which I don't even know how to describe; Three Kings, a war movie; The Fighter, a brilliantly done conventional narrative; Flirting With Disaster, a screwball comedy; etc. He's one of the most talented filmmakers working today, imo.

Captain Groovy likes this.
  10. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Have to go with Linklater.

Dazed is one of my fav. films.

11. Monosterio

Linklater's lead is widening: he's up 16 to 8. I thought this would be closer.

12. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

Linklater's best movie is Before Sunset.

13. ReadySteady

ReadySteady Custom Title

Linklater wins for Slacker and Dazed and Confused.

My favorite thing Russell's done (besides Three Kings) is this:

NSFW (language)

14. Captain Groovy

BTW, the magic of outsider financing and the problems it can cause (mixed with creative differences no doubt) ended up with quite a mess for David O. Russell with Accidental Love.

It's set to finally come out next week (Feb 10) and I have extraordinarily low expectations for it.

David wisely removes his name from the film (it's not 100% his work), but he still got "directing and writing" credits... it's not Alan Smithee, but it's him.

***** this story here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accidental_Love

Jeff

15. Captain Groovy

Wow - the word "Mo*ron" is not allowed on the forum? I was just making a silly play on words.

"More on" this story here...

Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.