Poll: Rate Leon Russell - Leon Live

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by J. Umbari, Aug 11, 2018 at 12:08 AM.

1. J. Umbari

J. Umbari Forum Resident Thread Starter

How do you rate this album?
    [​IMG]

2. J. Umbari

J. Umbari Forum Resident Thread Starter

Nobody heard this album?? :sigh:

3. walrus

walrus Forum Resident

Nope. Although I've always been amazed he was big enough for a label to agree to do a triple live album. Only Leon I've ever heard (besides his appearances on other people's records) are the S/T and Shelter People. I enjoy both but I've never felt a burning need to go much deeper for some reason.

4. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH Forums.

I first heard this album last year, when I decided that I was well over-due to become more acquainted with Leon. I loved Leon's contribution on The Concert for Bangladesh since the album came out, so was particularly looking forward to Leon Live. Especially because I had repeatedly read favorable reports of it.

So, after all the years of waiting, I was rather disappointed when I hear it. Sure, there is good stuff on it. But there was a lot that I thought was in the OK bracket, and little that got me excited. Admittedly, I couldn't get a copy our host's remastering of the album, which is reportedly brings out the best of the poor quality recordings. In the muddied sound, there wasn't enough of a stellar performance to shine thought. I will be playing his studio albums and Bangladesh more. To me, they show more of Leon's brilliance.

Track listing,

1 Medley: I'll Take You There/Idol With The Golden Head/I Serve A Living Savior/The Mighty Quinn
    2 Shoot Out On The Plantation
    3 Dixie Lullaby
    4 Queen Of The Roller Derby
    5 Roll Away The Stone
    6 It's Been A Long Time Baby
    7 Great Day
    8 Alcatraz
    9 Crystal Closet Queen
    10 Prince Of Peace
    11 Sweet Emily
    12 Stranger In A Strange Land

1 Out In The Woods
    2 Some Day
    3 Sweeping Through The City
    4 Jumping Jack Flash/Youngblood
    5 Of Thee I Sing/Yes I Am
    6 Delta Lady
    7 It's All Over Now, Baby Blue

5. Guy E

Guy E Forum Resident

I have it. I saw Leon Russell & The Shelter People several times in the early-70's and they were incredible concerts. Looking back, he was such an unlikely star. Unfortunately, the sound quality on Leon Live is lousy. I don't know if a modern remix could rectify matters, but I've never enjoyed the album. He should have recorded one of his shows at The Auditorium Theater in Chicago rather than the big gig at the Long Beach [Hockey] Arena.

I have the 1996 Right Stuff CD set... I'm sure the SH mastering improves matters, but the recording is so cavernous and muddy with no acoustical ambience/presence, I can't be bothered to seek it out.

6. Guy E

Guy E Forum Resident

As I said above, he was an unlikely star. His 1972 album, Carney peaked at #2 on the Billboard LP Chart. He was a big act in '72-73... filling arenas.

walrus and kronning like this.