Poll: Rate Leon Russell - Leon Live

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by J. Umbari, Aug 11, 2018.

1. J. Umbari

J. Umbari Forum Resident Thread Starter

How do you rate this album?
    [​IMG]

2. J. Umbari

J. Umbari Forum Resident Thread Starter

Nobody heard this album?? :sigh:

3. walrus

walrus Forum Resident

Nope. Although I've always been amazed he was big enough for a label to agree to do a triple live album. Only Leon I've ever heard (besides his appearances on other people's records) are the S/T and Shelter People. I enjoy both but I've never felt a burning need to go much deeper for some reason.

4. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH Forums.

I first heard this album last year, when I decided that I was well over-due to become more acquainted with Leon. I loved Leon's contribution on The Concert for Bangladesh since the album came out, so was particularly looking forward to Leon Live. Especially because I had repeatedly read favorable reports of it.

So, after all the years of waiting, I was rather disappointed when I hear it. Sure, there is good stuff on it. But there was a lot that I thought was in the OK bracket, and little that got me excited. Admittedly, I couldn't get a copy our host's remastering of the album, which is reportedly brings out the best of the poor quality recordings. In the muddied sound, there wasn't enough of a stellar performance to shine thought. I will be playing his studio albums and Bangladesh more. To me, they show more of Leon's brilliance.

Track listing,

1 Medley: I'll Take You There/Idol With The Golden Head/I Serve A Living Savior/The Mighty Quinn
    2 Shoot Out On The Plantation
    3 Dixie Lullaby
    4 Queen Of The Roller Derby
    5 Roll Away The Stone
    6 It's Been A Long Time Baby
    7 Great Day
    8 Alcatraz
    9 Crystal Closet Queen
    10 Prince Of Peace
    11 Sweet Emily
    12 Stranger In A Strange Land

1 Out In The Woods
    2 Some Day
    3 Sweeping Through The City
    4 Jumping Jack Flash/Youngblood
    5 Of Thee I Sing/Yes I Am
    6 Delta Lady
    7 It's All Over Now, Baby Blue

5. Guy E

Guy E Forum Resident

I have it. I saw Leon Russell & The Shelter People several times in the early-70's and they were incredible concerts. Looking back, he was such an unlikely star. Unfortunately, the sound quality on Leon Live is lousy. I don't know if a modern remix could rectify matters, but I've never enjoyed the album. He should have recorded one of his shows at The Auditorium Theater in Chicago rather than the big gig at the Long Beach [Hockey] Arena.

I have the 1996 Right Stuff CD set... I'm sure the SH mastering improves matters, but the recording is so cavernous and muddy with no acoustical ambience/presence, I can't be bothered to seek it out.

audiomixer likes this.
  6. Guy E

Guy E Forum Resident

As I said above, he was an unlikely star. His 1972 album, Carney peaked at #2 on the Billboard LP Chart. He was a big act in '72-73... filling arenas.

walrus and kronning like this.
  7. Cherl

Cherl Well-Known Member

Can I ask why you say he was an unlikely star? I saw him first during the Mad Dog's and Englishmen tour with Joe Cocker and he had major charisma. His bandleading skills, not to mention the arrangements and
    playing both piano and guitar was unbelievable. The whole place was rocking and many of us became Leon fans that night. After that, I saw him with The Shelter People, The Carney Tour and another concert and all
    of them were fantastic. I have the Leon Live album and cd and I agree that the sound is just not great and it comes nowhere near how good he sounded live. I still listen to it, now and then, just for the memories. I don't view
    him as an unlikely star at all, not with his talent.

8. lazydawg58

lazydawg58 Know enough to know how much I don't know

I took the middle ground on the poll.......but I had the 8 track back in the day, it was one of the first albums I bought on apple, never bought more than a dozen, and bought a used vinyl copy at a record show a few weeks ago but discovered it was missing one of the records, bought another copy on ebay to get the third record. So I guess it's pretty darn good.

That said, Mad Dogs is as much or more Leon's definitive live recording as it is Joe Cocker's.

9. Samantha Wolf

Samantha Wolf Well-Known Member

No 'Tightrope'? or 'Monster Mash Party' that he played keyboards on? I'm so disappointed.

10. Brian Lux

Brian Lux One in the Crowd

I saw Leon Russel with his big expanded band- horn, back up singers and all- somewhere around 1970. It was a great show. On the last number the whole band was absolutely going full bore with Russell slamming the lid up and down on his grand piano creating a hammering storm of sound. It was a glorious, riotous finish to a fine show!

forthlin and lazydawg58 like this.
  11. Guy E

Guy E Forum Resident

Well, he seemed like an eccentric character to me, as a 16-year old kid. Image counted back then (if not quite as much as it does now) and he looked like he was in his mid-50's... he wasn't nearly that old. One of the posts above expressed amazement that he could fill stadiums and I suspect that that reaction is image-based as much as anything.

As you say, he was massively talented and wrote indelible songs, so his talent cut through.

lazydawg58 likes this.
  12. Harry Hotspur

Harry Hotspur Forum Resident

Can I put a word in for his final album, On A Distant Shore, released without much fanfare but as strong as anything he's produced in recent years, and finishing with a new version of his classic A Song For You. Highly recommended.

Cherl likes this.
  13. Cherl

Cherl Well-Known Member

It got great reviews for the most part.

14. Cherl

Cherl Well-Known Member

I saw him first during the Mad Dogs and Englishmen tour and then many times throughout the 70's. Leon didn't really look old, if you look at his face. I guess you didn't see a lot of long grey haired hippie looking dudes back then but facially he didn't look any older than he was. He actually was quite good looking when he was in his 20's -30's. All my girlfriends had a crush on him. And yes, he was massively talented. He was what some would call a nerd, nowadays, with his technical skills in the studio. Lot's of interesting facts and stories out there about him but you have to dig.

J. Umbari likes this.
  15. chervokas

chervokas Forum Resident

This is one of my two or three favorite live rock albums, bar none, no qualifiers. The cream of the crop as far as I'm concerned. The gospel style fire, the kind of reinvention and framing of old rock in the context of the then new. I return to this one all the time to remember what a great rock and roll performance can be.

16. sirwallacerock

sirwallacerock The Gun Went Off In My Hand, Officer

The gospel numbers with Patrick Henderson smoke. And when Leon comes in on that sneakey, snakey piano, the hair always stands up on the ol' neck.

17. boe

boe Forum Resident

I saw Leon w/Delaney and Bonnie and then Mad Dogs and then he played a concert at my college in October 1970 w the Shelter People. I enjoyed that show but wasn't totally floored. The following August 1971 he played in Buffalo in a small-ish hall w/ Freddie King opening. It was a week after the Bangladesh concert and Leon et al. burned the place down. Still one of my top 5 concerts out of thousands. I went to see him for years after but he never came close to that night. When Leon Live came out it was a real disappointment (as was that tour in comparison to the year previous). Looking back I think Leon began to diversify his sound too soon (bluegrass, country, jazz etc.) and lost a lot of his audience as a result If he could have kept the Shelter People going for a few more hit albums / arena tours he might have had a different career course. On a good night, Leon and that band (w/ Carl Radle) were almost untouchable.

18. thxphotog

thxphotog Camera Nerd

Which was my first concert (L.A. Forum? I was 5 or 6 years-old) because apparently my mom & dad couldn't get a baby-sitter.

19. Jazzmonkie

Jazzmonkie Can't stop buying music.

The Jumpin' Jack Flash/Youngblood medley is too stretched out. It kind of dampens the impact of the album as a whole. I saw this tour but don't recall this being so long.

20. forthlin

forthlin Forum Resident

I saw him a year or two later than you and it was an outstanding show! Saw him again about 15 years ago--just a one-man show, and it too was terrific. I had the 3 LP vinyl set when it was released but I traded it at some point. I don't remember much about the album but I'd love a great sounding live show from Leon in his prime.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2018
    Brian Lux likes this.
  21. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

20 posts and you haven't given us your thoughts! Are you a lover or a hater? Surely you must be one or the other to start this thread. Lead by example. Generate some conversation. Giddyup!