[POLL] Robert Fripp - Exposure: Original v. Remix

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bcaulf, Oct 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

Ah. No. The DE refers to the single CD reissue that came out around 1990. Pretty much the remix, but "Water Music II" is significantly shorter.

I think the 2-CD version was referred to as the 25th Anniversary Edition, but I don't see that anywhere on my copy.

2. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

The original has a "ha!" vocal noise at the end removed from the remix.

Original cuts to the scratch noise a few seconds later than the remix.

eeglug likes this.
  3. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

And interesting side note to this album
    Joanna Walton wrote the lyrics for 6 of the Exposure tracks (including North Star - a love song about themselves). Joanna was Robert Fripp's girlfriend at the time and die in the 1988 Lockerbie bombing.

Some interesting stuff on the album here
    http://www.progressiveears.com/frippbook/ch08.htm

4. Music Geek

Music Geek Confusion will be my epitaph

Exposure is on Peter Gabriel's second album, the one with Robert Fripp as producer.

5. eeglug

eeglug Senior Member

In the sentence you quoted by me I'm talking about Here Comes The Flood.

6. BwanaBob

BwanaBob Forum Resident

I had never heard of Peter Hammill before Exposure so his name in the credits meant nothing to me. I therefore assumed all the male vocals were Daryl Hall. After hearing Disengage I assumed Hall had had a breakdown of some sort. I later learned the truth but I never looked at Hall the same way again.

DesertChaos likes this.
  7. bcaulf

bcaulf Forum Resident Thread Starter

I finally purchased to and listened to this album and I love it. Currently enjoying the first disc/original mix. My favorite track so far is North Star. I love this one, love the nice gentle melody (reminds me of Sun King), guitar, the bass fills sound great, but Daryl Hall's vocals on this one really make it. Soulful and serene, nice phasing, not shocking for Hall but certainly for a Fripp song. One of the strangest collaborations ever but it really works :)

One I've gotten comfortable with this I'll check out the third mix :)

8. DesertChaos

DesertChaos Forum Resident

There are things about both mixes I like and I'm glad to have these different takes on the recordings. I think I prefer the remix overall as it eliminates a few of the harsh points that were in the original, but then again there're times that the harshness is the best part for me, so...yeah...2 discs...my mood...I'm happy either way.

Hammill should have been the vocalist on the whole album. That would give it the edge that parts of it lacked...no offense to D Hall but his style and Fripp's vision just didn't mesh as well as they wanted.

9. bcaulf

I was surprised to read recently that most (if not all, I don't remember if it was mentioned here already) of the tracks on the album were recorded with Hall on vocals but the record label wanted to push Fripp into co-crediting the album to Hall. To avoid this, he used other vocalists.

Still blown away by this incredibly unique and diverse album. It holds up as well.

DesertChaos likes this.
  10. bcaulf

Also, I hope to see Fripp's follow-up effort, God Save The Queen/Under Heavy Manners, on cd someday. Maybe not as good as Exposure but worthy. I listened to some of it on YouTube.

BwanaBob likes this.
  11. kayley10

kayley10 Forum Resident

To see God Save The Queen / Under Heavy Manners and The League of Gentlemen on CD is my holy grail! As for Exposure, I'd say neither. I hated that album until I heard the Hall takes (nothing personal, I just can't stand Peter Hammill) and I've made my own version with the 1st mix for preference:

Preface - Original 1979 edition
    You Burn Me Up I'm A Cigarette - Original 1979 edition
    Breathless - Original 1979 edition
    Disengage - "Third" 2004 edition
    North Star - Original 1979 edition
    Chicago - "Third" 2004 edition
    New York, New York, New York - "Third" 2004 edition
    Mary - 2004 bonus tracks
    Exposure - 2004 bonus tracks
    Haaden Two - Original 1979 edition
    Urban Landscape - Original 1979 edition
    NYCNY - Daryl Hall's "Sacred Songs"
    First Inaugural Adress To The I.A.C.E. Sherborne House - Original 1979 edition
    Water Music I - Original 1979 edition
    Here Comes The Flood - Original 1979 edition
    Water Music II - Original 1979 edition
    Postscript - Original 1979 edition

C6H12O6 likes this.
  12. jblock

jblock Senior Member

Small consolation, but most of the original Frippertronics for God Save The Queen/Under Heavy Manners are available through DGM. It's listed as May 22, 1979 Munich, but the tracks in order from that supposed date are the Frippertronics for: 1983, God Save The Queen, Zero Of The Signified, 1986 and Red Two Scorer. So, clearly from multiple different dates. It also makes it perfectly clear that the original Frippertronics for God Save The Queen/Under Heavy Manners and Let The Power Fall were sped up! http://www.dgmlive.com/archive.htm?show=1464

13. konoyaro

konoyaro Forum Resident

I'd like to have the original version of The League of Gentlemen released complete with the frippertronic pieces and dialog snippets. From the old Elephant Talk mailing list:

"The Original LoG album. This has all of the songs on God Save the
    King plus "Minor Man", "Ochre", Frippertronics, and some spoken word
    segments. Many of the songs are the same, except the majority have random
    spoken-word segments pasted throughout. "Dislocated" is a different (and
    in my opinion better) version. "Minor Man" is much like the version on
    Thrang Thrang Gozinbulx but the guitar is distorted and a woman talks
    throughout the entire song.
    There are also some odd Frippertronic bits that sound like Fripp is
    playing with a guitar synth instead of a normal Fuzzed guitar. Very
    interesting stuff.
    Lastly, there are lengthy spoken bits with women shouting stuff like
    "Ding, dong, and Fripp!", "Rock and roll is about ****ing!" and various