Poll : 'Roger the Engineer' album by The Yardbirds (1963–1968) in your collection?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AdamCalifornia, Oct 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

Never heard of this Mini-LP... is it better than the Edsel CD?

2. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

Yep, makes it sound anaemic. It's not overblown like the Repertoire either.

They also released the other albums in the series (all recommended - loads of bonus material included on these):

VICP-70087
    Five Live Yardbirds +5 [Cardboard Sleeve SHM-CD]

VICP-70088
    For Your Love +7 [Cardboard Sleeve SHM-CD]

VICP-70089
    Having A Rave Up with The Yardbirds +16 [Cardboard Sleeve SHM-CD]

VICP-70090
    Sonny Boy Williamson & The Yardbirds +12 [Cardboard Sleeve SHM-CD]

VICP-70091
    The Yardbirds (aka Roger The Engineer, aka over under sideways down) +2 [Cardboard Sleeve SHM-CD]

There was a very cool Disk Union "Roger The Engineer" box of the full set.

3. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

Interesting. I'm having trouble finding a webpage with details of the box, and the individual discs appear to be out of print and not available anywhere.

4. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

Probably not easy to track down the box - can't even find a picture online.

Maybe my favourite piece in my entire music collection (sorry!). They are out there though :thumbsup:

5. Helmut

Helmut Well-Known Member

I have that Repertoire stereo/mono box of "Roger". I bought it when I was trying to find out, what is so fascinating about that band - apart from the names of their guitar players. I like some of their songs, but I'm always disappointed how badly recorded and produced most of their material is. It leaves me clueless. The only recording, where I think I get a glimpse of what they were, is that withdrawn live album with the fake applause.

6. Helmut

Helmut Well-Known Member

I have that Repertoire stereo/mono box of "Roger". I bought it when I was trying to find out, what is so fascinating about that band apart from the names of their guitar players. I like some of their songs, but I'm always disappointed how badly recorded and produced most of their material is. It leaves me clueless. The only recording where I think I get a glimpse of what they were, is that withdrawn live album with the fake applause.

7. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

The sound is a little spotty but I would rather have it than not. The Yardbirds are great so I am happy to have the rare and unissued material.

old school likes this.
  8. keef00

keef00 Senior Member

Just a compilation, The Yardbirds Story, I think.

9. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

I agree the UK mono is the best overall, but the volume fades down inexplicably in the instro section of Lost Woman on the UK, while it does not on the US mono Over Under Sideways Down Lp. Never could figure that out.

10. egebamyasi

egebamyasi Forum Resident

I only have the Rhino Greatest Hits LP but I did listen to an album called Backyardbirds featuring Eric Clapton Vol. 2 at a friends house the other night.

11. have to chime in here CD's
    1) Five Live YB Repertoire bonus tracks
    2) GH 1964-66 Rhino
    3) Little Games expanded ed.
    4) Live at the BBC Repertoire
    5) Roger the Engineer Expanded ed Mono /Stereo + bonus tracks
    HTYTA/ Pys Daisies Misc Keith Relf singles
    6) Sonny Boy Williamson Repertoire reissue w/ bonus tracks

12. Nick Dunning

Nick Dunning Forum Resident

Edsel reissued it in stereo and mono in about 1983, the mono had 'Happenings Ten Years Time Ago' and 'Psycho Daisies' added, so was an obligatory purchase. It sounded very crispy.

Genius album, sad they really only got to make one studio album with all creative parties onboard.

Mal likes this.
  13. Paul Saldana

Paul Saldana jazz vinyl addict

I like the 1981-2 Columbia/Epic as well. I even heard an FM station work the entire album into their overnight broadcast.

Mal likes this.
  14. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

I've got the Warners Archive 1997 release, it was a gift from a friend.

15. Paul Saldana

Paul Saldana jazz vinyl addict

I'm listening to the mono on YouTube right now, and a couple of the songs have much longer fades. It's really interesting.

16. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

Got the Airline CD of Roger The Engineer, which contains the stereo and mono versions plus bonus tracks.

Also have the 4 CD The Yardbirds Story.

On LP, I have the Rhino Greatest Hits, Vol. 1 and the Springboard Eric Clapton and The Yardbirds (Five Live Yarbirds with two songs omitted).

17. zbase

zbase Forum Resident

No Yardbirds in my collection.

18. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Yes, I knew about the Sonny Boy album being released in the UK as well, but I didn't include it when I said the Yardbirds only released 2 LPs in the UK during their active career (1963-68). I consider it more of a Sonny Boy record rather than a Yardbirds record. Arnie

EasterEverywhere and Mal like this.
  19. PSNEJon

PSNEJon Well-Known Member

Nope, but it's on the wishlist. I've been meaning to buy one of the vinyl reissues with Happenings Ten Years Time Ago on.

20. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

The first four as above were also released as mini-lps (K2HD, golden obis with all these bonuses) back in 2006 as VICP-63565 to 63568. The Yardbirds (aka Roger The Engineer) was released in 2005 as VICP-62987. These are the ones I have.

Are the SHM and the above SHM CDs the same remasters?

21. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

In the mis 80s Edsel released on vinyl both the stereo and mono versions. The stereo was yellow sleeved and the mono blue. I had got the stereo one back then.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Mal and Nick Dunning like this.
  22. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

I have the UK Columbia album and the Ultimate Yardbirds 2-Cd set. What's the best way to hear Roger The Engineer for a reasonable price in mono?

23. old school

old school Senior Member

You just convinced me to pull the trigger and get it! Man the money is going on all the box sets I have been getting just received King Crimson Starless yesterday.

John Fell likes this.
  24. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

Those are George Peckham/Porky Prime Cut lps - nicely done.

25. PSNEJon

PSNEJon Well-Known Member

Cool. It goes for quite a bit more than the Music on Vinyl now, though – anyone heard the latter? Same transfer?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.