Poll: Sgt pepper mono vs stereo

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Meddle, Jan 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

Do we know for sure it was the stereo Pepper George heard for the first time? I do know he did an interview in that period where he talks about a "terrible sounding tambourine that just leaps out of the speakers"- that remark makes me think of Revolver (or possibly Rubber Soul) for some reason. Either way Harrison was clearly dismayed by the off-kilter mixing of some of the stereo versions.

2. Chooke

Chooke Forum Resident

Prefer the stereo mix as this how I grew up with the album. The mono version sounds a bit odd to me, like something is missing, even more so with the White Album.

I generally prefer mono for most of the earlier Beatles stuff though, even though it was mainly the stereo versions I grew up with, as the hard panning of vocals and instruments is annoying.

3. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

This is getting silly! George was in the room when they mixed the mono Sgt. Pepper. He approved the test pressing. He also, at some point soon after heard the stereo. He is on record for preferring the mono version.

ShallowMemory likes this.
  4. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

No need for the suspicious tone. Nobody is trying to dress made-up quotes as fact. John's quote about Pepper is widely known, we all have read it many times. If at some point we come to the conclusion that it's made-up, that's OK, I like to learn new things. But I don't think it's very nice to suggest that someone is trying to fool or misinform.

Grant likes this.
  5. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

You and Van Gogh.

Beatnik_Daddyo'73 likes this.
  6. Frank

Frank Senior Member

I specifically said I assumed it was "unintentional" to avoid the appearance that I was accusing you of trying to misinform.

"We have all read" that John said of Ringo, "he's not even the best drummer in The Beatles," and that's also completely made up. Same with the widely known "When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down 'happy'" quote.

The specific quote you provided (in quotation marks) appears exactly one other time on the entire internet (also without a source cited).

Honestly, I'm not sure how the person asking for evidence of a claim is the bad guy here. If it's so widely known, it should be no problem to provide a source. You type any other widely known John Lennon quote into Google, you immediately know where it came from.

Kim Olesen likes this.
  7. A well respected man

I'm not saying you're "the bad guy", nor am I criticizing that you ask for evidence (if you remember, the first time you did I honestly said I didn't have the quote at hand and I would try and find it). I'm just saying the suspicious tone is not very nice, I think there are ways to say the same without sounding so aggressive.

8. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

On the other hand, the act of merely requesting facts that confirm claims is often seen as "aggressive" to some members who don't wish to be questioned.

Frank likes this.
  9. Rich C

Rich C Forum Resident

Good job for those who have questioned the veracity of the quote by Lennon as regards Pepper. I am coming to the conclusion that it does not sound like Lennon at all. It sounds like something an American would say.

Frank likes this.
  10. A well respected man

As I said, it's not my case, as can be read in my reply to Frank's first request. I only objected to his tone in that other post. I don't mind being questioned, in fact I appreciate it when there is respect.

11. A well respected man

In any case, Lennon's words were not the sole element to confirm that the mono mix is the band's version. The facts being that they attended the mono mixes only, and that those mono mixes received much more time (and probably attention, given the flubs in the stereo mix)

12. Beatnik_Daddyo'73

Beatnik_Daddyo'73 Music Addiction Personified

13. Frank

Frank Senior Member

That post wasn't even in reply to you. It matched the tone of the post it was in reply to.

You shouldn't be so sensitive. You should just provide the source for the quote you posted or referenced a bunch of times.

14. A well respected man

You replied to someone else, but referred to me with a suspicious tone.
    As for sensitive, you also complained about my tone once (and I apologised). I don't think there's nothing wrong with admitting one's mistakes.

And I have already told you I don't have the source to the quote. Not that I made it up either, I just know I read it somewhere a bunch of times. You may be right about it being untrue, as I said I would be grateful if after all this at least I learn something.

john morris likes this.
  15. Frank

Frank Senior Member

Fair enough.

I am highly suspicious of the quote - so the tone of suspicion is accurate there - but I tried to be super clear that I believed you were not intentionally using a quote you knew to be fake. Sorry if that didn't come across.

"When I listen to Pepper, for example, I always spin the stereo. It reflects the way the music sounded in my head when we were making it" - Paul McCartney

"Love the stereo Pepper, man. Two speakers, one for each of me ears." - Ringo Starr

:p

Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
  16. A well respected man

I could almost believe the one by Ringo :biglaugh:

Frank likes this.
  17. tages

tages Senior Member

Ringo did say he preferred stereo back in 2009 when the CDs got remastered. He even kind of mocked the mono purists. I love both mixes!

john morris likes this.
  18. voles

voles Forum Lurker

Which Stereo? If you mean the 2017 one then that gets my vote otherwise the Mono.

19. I grew up on the stereo version. I have the mono but it just sounds wrong to me.
    Rubber Soul and Revolver benefit most from mono for me as I never like the stereo versions.

20. sgb

sgb Senior Member

I grew up on the mono versions. Most of mine were bought in mono at the time of original releases. My brother brought the original Sgt Pepper over for me to hear; from then on I preferred stereo. The mono versions always sounded weak to me.

The USPS should be putting my 2017 in my box some time today.

Frederick Mars likes this.
  21. Very much looking forward to the 2017 mix. Giles Martin was on the radio a few days back and played the opening track - even on the radio I was impressed.

22. voles

voles Forum Lurker

So what exactly is causing offence on this track?

23. voles

voles Forum Lurker

Am I correct in thinking that no information has been released about the new Mono transfer apart from the fact that it is 'direct' -whatever that means? I like the brief analysis of every track on the album but I think it is a shame that every aspect of this release was not detailed in the book.

24. Grant

Sometimes I don't think Paul even knows what he's talking about. He has also gone on record saying that he isn't technical, hence compressed to death recordings like "Memory Almost Full". He's as bad as Lennon was: he contradicts himself. What's crazier is that Paul supposedly wasn't even there for the stereo mixes, but was there for the mono mixes, so why wasn't his vision put into the mono mix?

Grain of salt!

iloveguitars likes this.
  25. Grant

Then, you won't like the new mixes. They mimic the sound of the mono.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.