POLL: Sgt Pepper's - 1967 or 2017 Stereo Version?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Diego Lucas, May 26, 2017.

1. Diego Lucas

Diego Lucas Forum Resident Thread Starter

Well, it's time to choose now!!

Wingsfan2012 and deany76 like this.
  2. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

I predict a landslide for 1967...

3. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Forum Resident

Anything new is usually rejected in favour of the original so a landslide victory is predictable.

Yovra, Yorick and theshape like this.
  4. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Uh Huh

5. I was really hoping the vocals would all be centred since they were using the mono's. Not sold on them yet!!!

6. SurrealCereal

SurrealCereal Forum Resident

I've only given the 2017 mix one listen so far, but I already think I prefer it to the 1967 stereo mix. I always found the 1967 stereo mix hard to listen to due to the way the vocals and guitars tended to all be put on one side or the other, but this mix fixed that problem for me. I've never heard the mono mix, but I prefer the faster "She's Leaving Home" to the painfully slow version on the original stereo mix.

Retrovertigo, CBC, SteveM and 7 others like this.
  7. notgoblin

notgoblin Active Member

LOL

8. rnranimal

rnranimal Forum Resident

Not when it's brand new and still in the "It's the greatest thing I've ever heard" honeymoon phase. The turn comes later.

9. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Forum Resident

I disagree. Especially with the sacred cow that is The Beatles, messing with anything is bound to invite criticism from not the masses but from the members of this msg board which are, let's face it, an extremely vocal minority.

10. I333I

I333I Forum Resident

Have you checked into the Sgt. Pepper SQ thread? Doesn't seem like it.

11. rnranimal

rnranimal Forum Resident

I'm seeing both sides going at it there. Just saying I'm not surprised to see the 2017 leading by so much right now. It's the hot topic. Have the poll again in 6 months and I bet it shifts quite a bit once all the hype dies down.

SF Georgie and beasandpeans like this.
  12. beasandpeans

beasandpeans Active Member

Where's the landslide for 1967?

Anyways, I went for 2017.

13. extravaganza

extravaganza Forum Resident

I like them both ... hard to say which will end up being my go-to in the future. After just a few listens I am enjoying the new mix but not enough yet to say I prefer it to the original, hence for now I am sticking with original mix in my vote for now. That being said, a lot of the stuff on the original stereo just felt kind of dead soumding and listless mainly carried by Paul's bass (Kite, Lucy) so this new mix makes it sparkle a bit more and have more "space" which I like.

Tone_Boss and beasandpeans like this.
  14. Thievius

Thievius Forum Resident

I prefer the original mix. Probably always will, but I like the new one too. And I usually dislike remixes. But while the new mix is certainly different, to me the changes are subtle. To my ears (Giles) Martin tweaked the soundstage more than anything else, if that makes sense. And of course brought 'She's Leaving Home' back up to normal speed like the mono mix.

I like it, but I think I'll be reaching for the original when I want a Pepper fix. Its just a preference.

Gezza likes this.
  15. rnranimal

rnranimal Forum Resident

I believe it will be rejected for the most part, but after a delayed reaction. I'm not saying it's without criticism already. There is already plenty of that. But also plenty of those saying it's so much better than the old mix. It's new and exciting. The old mix is, well, old. And it's not even the most regarded of the old mixes. That's where I'm at with it. I don't like the new mix, but I also don't like the old stereo mix. So I'm not bothered by the remixing. I'm still good with the mono. Maybe most of the purists are staying really pure and not voting in this poll. Another issue is a lot of people still haven't heard the new mix. They might be waiting until they hear it to vote or maybe don't plan on hearing and so they won't vote. The new mix is causing the interest so it's winning right now.

16. Catbirdman

Catbirdman Well-Known Member

Friendly request: not sure how long you're planning on keeping this poll open, but I suggest you keep it open a good long while. There are many folks like myself that won't be listening to the mix on release day for whatever reason, but would love to register an opinion here after they have had the time to properly evaluate. Me, I'm waiting for the box to arrive from Amazon Italy and even though I pre-ordered, it looks like I won't have it until June something.

17. helter

helter Forum Resident

I need more time ...

18. I like the remix on the Blu-ray. The stereo is a little more balanced in the mix and has more punch like the mono (which might explain the compression applied by Giles)--the mix is more balanced on songs than others. A pity that The Beatles have decided that they are goi g to eventually replace the original mix with the remix. There certainly is a place for both.

19. Mr_Vinyl

Mr_Vinyl Forum Resident

1967 for me. The new one is too in-your-face and balls-to-the-brickwall for me. All the subtleties are gone. As I mentioned in the other thread, the Ahhh's in A Day in the Life are no longer gliding in and out in a dreamy or psychedelic manner as in the 1967 recording. In the new one, it's just there, louder, at the same volume with lots of reverb. Sure, there are a lot of interesting details here and there that have come to the surface for those who want to analyze, but the experience of an iconic psychedelic album is just not there for me. Basically, Pepper's has become an in-your-face album as opposed to the psychedelic album that it should be. Luckily, nothing has been forced upon us. All previous versions are still available. With all this talk of Pepper, I might just pick up another copy of both the mono and the stereo on vinyl just for the fun of it tomorrow. They'll both cost me exactly the same as one copy of the 2017.

20. gregorya

gregorya Forum Resident

The 2027 remix will blow the 2017 out of the water... ;)

21. entropyfan

entropyfan Forum Resident

Whenever I revisit this remix in the future, it's going to take me "back" to 2017. The same way YS songtrack takes me back to '99 (grad school) and Love teleports me to the holiday season of '06.

The mono mix will always take me to '67 though. I was born in '74, so that's like voodoo.

Keith V and Solace like this.
  22. mikaal

mikaal Forum Resident

Ah...I listened to samples and that was about all the Sgt. Pepper I really need for the moment. Especially after the let down of my local store telling me there's been a delay in the delivery. Had that not happened I may have been able to comment.

23. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Forum Resident

This past week I immersed myself in the various releases of Sgt. Peppers (original stereo mix) from my collection. I picked up the 2-cd set this morning and had CD ONE playing throughout the day. The remix is definitely an interesting and fun listen. Objectively, it perhaps even betters the original from the standpoint of sonic clarity. But subjectively, I still prefer the 1967 stereo mix. Knowing this album for as long as I have, I guess it's hard to teach this old dog new tricks. :pug:

Ultimately, my personal takeaway from this 50th anniversary celebration is what an incredibly innovative musical creation Sgt. Peppers was in the summer of '67, and how engaging the entire album still sounds to this day. All imho of course.

Mr_Vinyl, MAYBEIMAMAZED and Mr. H like this.
  24. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

I remember seeing that movie in the theater. And I wasn't a Beatles aficionado, but thinking WTF?
    The scene during You're Gonna Carry That Weight, WTF?

Was there something about Abbey Road I missed? I must be so stupid and uncool to not get this "meaning" of the song.

I wish there was a video of this, because it's beyond offensive. And worth seeing for every Beatles fan.

Last edited: May 27, 2017
  25. Thievius

Thievius Forum Resident

Another thing to consider: we're still in the honeymoon phase of this release. If we had a poll 6 months to a year from now with everyone's collective perspective a bit more grounded, we'd have more accurate results.

I understand wanting to hear people's initial reactions, but we see this all the time: People initially love remaster X. After time goes by, a large and vocal contingency refers to remaster X as the worst sounding thing they ever heard. Then a thread pops up. "What version of this album should I buy?" Thread is met with post after post saying "Whatever you do, steer clear of remaster X. Its unlistenable!"

Just sayin'.