POLL: Sgt Pepper's - 1967 or 2017 Stereo Version?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Diego Lucas, May 26, 2017.

1. Bill Lettang

Bill Lettang Well-Known Member

hello all..would someone please confirm yes or no that the Mono Sgt . Pepper in the super deluxe version is indeed a new re-mastering and in your opinion does it sound better than the 2009 mono box edition....thanks

2. Vinylfindco

Vinylfindco Forum Resident

I shelled out for the vinyl and an regretting it.

Wuther likes this.
  3. goat65cars

goat65cars Forum Resident

l Have The Mono box Lp & Cd & bought the New Peppers Remix & glad I did.Also Have A Stereo UK Blue Box don't Regrett My Purchase At All. In Fact Just Picked Up The Deluxe Cd Package.
    Can't Get Enough Beatles.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2017
  4. seed_drill

seed_drill Forum Resident

I wouldn't bother with anything but the boxed set, for the bonus content, and I can't afford that right now.

5. Vinylfindco

Vinylfindco Forum Resident

I'm hoping I grow to appreciate it. I did listen again to Side Two and enjoyed a lot of it. The pressing was excellent, silent all the way through so that's a plus, and package was nice. At this point I'm still more fond of the original 67 stereo and really love the 2014 mono.

vmajewsk, Wuther and seed_drill like this.
  6. Bill Lettang

would some kind member pleases refer to my post #301 and answer my inquiry?

7. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Forum Resident

I still haven't given it a serious comparison to come to a decision yet, but I will never have an issue with the original '67 mono or stereo recording. :wiggle:

But I do love the centred vocals...... :love:

Last edited: Jun 11, 2017
    Wuther likes this.
  8. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Forum Resident

You should have inserted your own quote, for us lazy people who won't go searching...... :shh::D

marmalade166 likes this.
  9. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Forum Resident

To quote a phrase I usually detest*, "It is what it is." I tried to embrace remixes with releases like Yellow Submarine Soundtrack and The Doors' 2007 reissues, but they don't sound right. The original stereo versions have become engraved in my brain.

* Because almost every time I hear it, it's some lowlife idiot who just lost on Judge Judy.

YardByrd and Wuther like this.
  10. marmalade166

marmalade166 Well-Known Member

Beatles "Pepper" Mono CD: 2009 or 2017?

11. DirkGentlyUK

DirkGentlyUK Well-Known Member

Which Stereo version have you heard that didn't have centred vocals? Every one I've heard did. Original UK pressings, Mofi box, Blue box, 1987, 2009...

12. Bill Lettang

marmalade166 likes this.
  13. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

I listened back to back. 2017 Stereo and 1967/2009 mastered Stereo. I finally voted. 1967. It's more natural sounding....or it's the one I'm most used to. Who knows?
    Listening to mono now. (2009).

Wuther likes this.
  14. Wuther

Wuther Active Member

Absolutely right, buddy!
    My suggestion to all who loves remixes and remasters: spin up the originals (mono or stereo) and you can hear the real sound of this masterpiece. How it is supposed to sound. The Beatles belongs to 1960's anyway. They were recorded using equipment & technologies of that time while working on this album. Any attempt to re-create/re-produce/re-mix their works today cannot succeed just because it won't sound natural, IMHO.

Keith V likes this.
  15. Bill Lettang

The verdict seems to be in, based on this site, amazon and many periodicals that the 2017 re-mix is favored over the original stereo 67.
    The Cd is brickwalled and that dosen't surprise me What puzzles me is why brickwalll the hi-res bluray version. Why would anyone do that to what should be considered the digital audiophiles version? Giles knows very well their feelings on this. The vinyl, from what I understand has all the dynamics undisturbed, and that's great as I love vinyl too From the graphs I've seen, it appears the brickwalling is pretty strong on the CD. Our host has hinted his displeasure over this along with audiophiles on this site and elsewhere. If this is true, All who have the super deluxe edition should demand a re-call of the blu ray hi res discs until they correct this. What an enormous lack of thought, and dissing of the digital audiophile community.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2017 at 11:09 PM
  16. Turntable

Turntable Forum Resident

Where is the choice for both? On vinyl for both of course.

Not everything needs to be a contest.

17. StevenC

StevenC Forum Resident

The original stereo mix is not great. The band weren't involved at all. The Mono version on the other hand....

Grant likes this.
  18. Thievius

Thievius Forum Resident

It is not brickwalled. More compression applied than most people here would have liked? Yes. Brickwalled? No.

Grant and kiddo4 like this.
  19. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

Yes they were.

905 likes this.
  20. Classicrock

Classicrock Forum Resident

The vinyl is also brickwalled but to a lesser extent. The poll surprised me because I positively hate the mastering/mixing of the 2017.

21. marmalade166

marmalade166 Well-Known Member

only for a few, 3 I think

22. Grant

Grant A Musical Free-Spirit

Proof?

23. violetvinyl

violetvinyl Forum Resident

I hate watermelon but I'm probably in the minority.

24. Bill Lettang

Brickwall, as a generic term, can be the result of what you just explained...

25. Grant

Grant A Musical Free-Spirit

No, it can't.

"Brickwalling" is a layman term that is the result of a limiter being set to act on a higher amount of the RMS to prevent digital clipping.

Compression is nothing more than taming highs, that that does not mean the sound is limited.

For the Sgt. Pepper remixed CD version, the limiter only acts on two tracks that have been boosted volume-wise by more than a few decibels, and would have clipped if that limiter had not been enabled.

Technically, a limiter is a compressor, but is a special type of compressor that only compresses the sound at a certain user-set threshold. It doesn't do the same thing as a band compressor, which acts on the entire or specified octave.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017 at 10:55 AM
    Thievius likes this.