Poll: The Girl Is Mine

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AFOS, Aug 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident Thread Starter

It seems that this song is reviled by almost everyone but personally I've always enjoyed listening to it. So I thought I might start a poll to see if anyone else will admit to liking it & to find out just how unpopular it really is.

Vote away...

Grant likes this.
  2. Baba Oh Really

Baba Oh Really Certified "Forum Favorite"

"Cool tune". Love ALL of the Macca/Jacko collaborations! They were period pieces of a great time !!

3. hazard

hazard Forum Resident

Its songs like this that give McCartney a bad name. Just absolute dreck IMHO.

And no I'm not a Macca basher. I have everything he ever released including the awful '80s stuff I never listen to

Actually I quite like Say Say Say.

4. drasil

drasil Former Resident

I'm a lover, not a hater.

5. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Remember that Paul had zero to do with the songwriting of this one. It was a Michael-only composed track. So you can't blame Paul for writing it. You can only blame him for singing on it.

Arnie

6. tcbtcb

tcbtcb Forum Resident

Corny, cheesy, etc, etc. However, I like it.

7. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

I'm not a McCartney basher either (I own multiple copies of many of his albums), but he has written plenty of dreck on his own.

As for "The Girl Is Mine", I like it. It is a bit corny, but I still like it.

theMess likes this.
  8. GubGub

GubGub Forum Resident

Had to buy it because I bought everything of Paul's at the time but it is just so cheesy and I am not fond at all. Even worse in some ways than what it did for Macca's reputation is that it is the worst song on an otherwise very fine Michael Jackson album (and I say that as someone who is not particularly an MJ fan).

9. Baba Oh Really

I always thought it a bit sad that John never got to see the Jackson/McCartney songs and videos. I really do think he would have gotten a kick out of it, out of seeing Paul so relevant and "out there" in the 80's (not to say that John wasn't, he was very, very relevant in his own right at the dawn of the 80's.)

10. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

I could never understand why this song was chosen as the lead single from Thriller! By all accounts, that song should have sunk the album. Didn't quite turn out that way, though! The song is pleasant verging on mediocre but it's that 'chatter' between Jackson and McCartney that grates. Say Say Say and The Man from Paul's Pipes of Peace album were much better songs, and they weren't exactly worldbeaters.

Fields&Lanes likes this.
  11. Slokes

Slokes Cruel But Fair

I don't exactly hate this, but it doesn't quite rise to the level of "Meh" for me. It was overplayed back in the day, that's for sure.

starduster likes this.
  12. sami

sami Mono still rules

Why, so he could give it his' stamp of approval' that some seem to feel matters so much? :rolleyes:

13. Baba Oh Really

No brother, I just said I thought he would get a kick out of the songs is all.

Paully likes this.
  14. greenwichsteve

greenwichsteve Well-Known Member

There seems to have been a preponderance of crappy songs by otherwise fine artists that were commercially big in the 80's. Stevie Wonder I Just Called..... and Chris de Burgh Lady In Red spring to mind.

15. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

The mystery is why people are bashing McCartney for a Michael Jackson song...or was his singing on that Jackson tune so awful?

16. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

The song actually has some pretty intricate chord progressions, especially on the bridge. I think Jackson played enough piano to work out his original songs on it. The hookline "The doggone girl is mine" probably went a long way toward making the song a hit. I like the song, but my favorite Macca and Michael song is the one that was never a hit single: "The Man."

DrAftershave, D.B. and willy like this.
  17. GubGub

GubGub Forum Resident

For poor judgement in agreeing to record it I think. McCartney liked and admired Jackson (before things went very wrong) and was keen to work with him. Unfortunately when the offer came, Macca didn't baulk at the quality of the song and ask if perhaps Michael didn't have something better. When it came to the return fixture, Say, Say, Say was a massive improvement and an indicator of how potent the partnership could have been. Macca's participation in almost anything else from Thriller would have been exciting but TGIM is a dud.

18. OneStepBeyond

OneStepBeyond Senior Member

Me too and for those reasons. :)

tcbtcb likes this.
  19. andy75

andy75 Forum Resident

Great song from a fantastic album! The demo version on The Girl Is Mine 2008 CD single is evrn better!

20. willy

willy hooga hagga hooga

Sickly-sweet pop candy, clearly tongue-in-cheek, and I love it!!

theMess likes this.
  21. Seederman

Seederman Forum Resident

22. Izozeles

Izozeles Pushing my limits

Just sweet

23. John Rhett Thomas

John Rhett Thomas Forum Resident

"Say Say Say" is great. "Ebony and Ivory" and "The Girl Is Mine" are the opposite of great; choose your own descriptor. I felt this way when I was 13, I feel this way today.

24. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

25. Culpa

Culpa Forum Resident

I voted "cool tune". Sure it's cheesy, but so what - it's just a fun catchy pop song. I never get the urge to put it on at home, but if it comes on in a store or somewhere, I'll end up humming along. Never liked Say Say Say though!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.